PDA

View Full Version : Onboard & PCI Audio together

radium
17-12-2007, 10:07 PM
Hi, just want to know if I can some how run both my onboard AC 97 audio and my PCI Audio sound card.

I want to keep my Headphones plugged into my onboard audio for my TV capture card and use my PCI audio card to play music & movies through my Home theatre.
When I try this it locks up my comp, So I'm guessing that it's an IRQ conflict, is there any way I can assign them different IRQ's?

Thanks guys

Speedy Gonzales
17-12-2007, 10:08 PM
No, and you can only listen to one at a time anyway.

radium
17-12-2007, 10:46 PM
Okay, One at a time is fine, just get sick of unplugging my headphones everytime I want to listen to my comp through my HT.
Will have to get a splitter, just I could do somthing with both audio devices.

But thanks anyway Speedy.

Speedy Gonzales
17-12-2007, 11:01 PM
Yup thats what I did with the tuner here.

I brought a PS/2 keyboard, which also has a headphone/mic jack on it. And a USB port on it.

Its got the normal PS/2 connection, a USB connection, and also 2 3.5 mm sockets, the adapter is on the line out.

The PS/2 plugs in the back, the USB cable into a USB port, and the 2 sockets into line out and the other into the mic socket on the soundcard.

So, I could hear sound 3 way. Either from the back of the case, (which is also plugged into a TV), the front audio ports on the case, or plug headphones (and the mic) into the side of the keyboard.

This keyboard (http://www.a4tech.com/en/product2.asp?CID=100&SCID=101&MNO=KL(S)-7MU)

About $25 down the road.

Pete O'Neil
18-12-2007, 11:53 AM
No, and you can only listen to one at a time anyway.
I think you'll actually find that Windows has support for multiple soundcards ;) I've personally run a Soundblaster Audigy and nForce Soundstorm together with no problems. Chances are its a IRQ issue as you suggested radium, check it your BIOS you should be able to assign different IRQ's in there.

radium
18-12-2007, 09:29 PM
Thanks Pete, will have a look, and will let you know how I get on.

radium
19-12-2007, 09:06 PM
Well I got it to work for like only 5 min.

I went to the bios and I can assign them different IRQ, and all I could do is reserve them, So how do I assign each device an IRQ?

Speedy Gonzales
19-12-2007, 10:14 PM
Take your pick (http://groups.google.co.nz/groups?q=using+2+sound+cards+in+windows+xp&hl=en&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=X&oi=groups&ct=title)

It looks like it was easier in 98. You could run 2 soundcards.

It maybe easier if they were USB not internal.

steveroby
20-12-2007, 09:23 AM
I've had 3 soundcards running successfully a while back.(for 6 mic inputs)
Ive also run a creative & a via soundcard together at the same time a few months back.(to give me 4 'line in' inputs)

Its usually easier if they are all completely different chipset/cards. I'm guessing that not all soundcards will work happily together. 2 Via based cards wouldnt work even after trying to assign differnt IRQ's in the bios.
Some programs are even designed to work with multiple soundcards (music
recording programs), however some programs will only 'see' the 'default' card.

They are other options for you try
These may not work but.....
just split the output & send it to both the heaphones & home theatre
get a card with 2 sets of o/p's, front & back & use the in stereo mode
use digital out & analog out at the same time (is this possible)
some cards have 'internal' connectors that you could use for the 2nd o/p