PDA

View Full Version : Voip question.

Ninjabear
17-12-2007, 01:27 AM
I have a question

If I am on a FS/128 and I change to a FS/FS would there be any difference in Voip quality?

Also how much data does it use and does it require much bandwith ?

I see that If i download a 300mb file at 400k and make a call using voip.No quality is affected so I am curious what is the amount of bandwith that the computer needs to draw in order for vfx to be affected

Anyone tried it?

jermsie
17-12-2007, 08:30 AM
I have a question

If I am on a FS/128 and I change to a FS/FS would there be any difference in Voip quality?

Also how much data does it use and does it require much bandwith ?

I see that If i download a 300mb file at 400k and make a call using voip.No quality is affected so I am curious what is the amount of bandwith that the computer needs to draw in order for vfx to be affected

Anyone tried it?

Xnet prioritises voice/voip over all other internet services to ensure QoS.
Vfx traffic is not counted.

I'm not sure actually how much bandwidth it would use, but with compression, maybe 60kbps upwards both ways? That's just a guess based on how much Google Talk uses.

Erayd
17-12-2007, 08:36 AM
The protocols that VFX uses can frequently go as low as 19Kbits/sec (g.729) or as 90Kbits/sec (ulaw/alaw & friends). Usually tending towards the lower end of the spectrum; I find that mine tends to sit at around 24Kbits/sec most of the time.

Sherman
17-12-2007, 09:52 AM
If you change to a FS/FS connection, and have a relatively stable internet connection (little/no packet loss etc), just ring xnet and ask them to change your codec to G.711u.
This uses about 84kbps, but sounds noticably better than the default codec.

Just be aware that if you have packet loss issues, I would NOT recommend using G.711u