PDA

View Full Version : Toshiba laptop burning problem

Myth
16-12-2007, 08:56 PM
I was given a laptop to look at tonight that is having issues burning audio CD's.
It will burn data discs fine (granted these were smaller in size) but it won't burn an audio CD. Part way through (randomly) it will spit up an error message with a bunch of numbers like "Error code:3802F6-26-2A040301" and that's it.
The burning software used is Toshiba Disc Creator.

The owner says the last thing that happened before the problem was that WinAmp was installed. The laptop is less that 1 year old (sorry, forget the model number). He also used to use iTunes to write with but from memory he can't remember if it worked after WinAmp was installed. He's had this problem for a while and has only just recently started dealing with me.

I'm stuck. Ideas anyone?

Myth
17-12-2007, 07:22 PM
Any ideas at all?? :stare:

I had already googled the error code, and also obtained information from the Toshiba forum that said that most of the codes were irrelevant anyway (i.e. nonsense)
Tried uninstalling the drive and then allowed windows to reinstall. Tried KLite codecs in case there was a codec issue. Was able to burn music to the cd as data, just not an audio cd. Was able to burn other data as well. Tried different media
Am going to loan an OEM version of Nero to see if it spits out a decent error message. Not sure it will work, but its something I guess

wratterus
17-12-2007, 07:25 PM
Am going to loan an OEM version of Nero to see if it spits out a decent error message. Not sure it will work, but its something I guess

That's what I'd do. No other ideas sorry.

Edit - Wait - Is DMA enabled on the drive?

Speedy Gonzales
17-12-2007, 07:35 PM
Did the OEM version of Nero come with this laptop??

If it didnt it wont work. Nero wont detect it.

Unless you change the serial.

Myth
17-12-2007, 08:30 PM
wratterus: Don't have computer with me at the moment, he's bringing it back either tomorrow or Wednesday. Will check then

Speedy, will at least try it. If Nero rejects it, so-be-it

KatiMike
18-12-2007, 07:38 AM
Perhaps DeepBurner is another option to try ?

http://www.deepburner.com/?r=products&pr=deepburner

dugimodo
18-12-2007, 08:06 AM
trying other burning software is a good Idea, windows itself has native cd burning support though, through media player for example. It won't be a codec issue unless you are converting from an MP3 or similar.

I personally don't like codec packs, they fill your system with codecs you never use and aren't as up to date as the individual codecs.

I always install Koepis's latest Xvid Codec and AC3 filter and that's it unless something fails to play, then I find the relevant codec.

The question regarding DMA is also worth following up, from device manager you need to check the properties of the IDE controller the drive is connected to - can take a bit of trial and error to find the right one. It should be set to "DMA if available" and the current transfer mode should be something like "DMA mode 2" ( depending on the drive ) If it is in PIO mode that will cause issues.

knj0612
19-02-2008, 06:12 AM
I have this same problem. I checked the DMA it is set correctly. Did anyone come up with a solution for this problem?

pctek
19-02-2008, 08:39 AM
Did the OEM version of Nero come with this laptop??

If it didnt it wont work. Nero wont detect it.

Sure it will.

benwfy
19-02-2008, 09:50 AM
I had a similar problem with my teac, in my case it was the beginning of a hardware failure.

benwfy
19-02-2008, 09:51 AM
I had a similar problem with my teac, in my case it was the beginning of a hardware failure.
so my advice is to hurry up to take advantage of the warranty (if it still has)

benwfy
19-02-2008, 09:58 AM
however make sure that your discs are not damaged before taking some actions