PDA

View Full Version : Commodore 64 monitor

Robin S_
15-12-2007, 11:44 PM
Here's one for people who have been around for a while. Amongst
our "stored stuff" I have found an old monitor that we used to use with a Commodore 64. The monitor is a Commodore 1084 (or 1084S - does anyone know how they differ?) and I can't remember whether or not it was working when it was stored away.

I would like to pass it on to a Commodore enthusiast or enthusiast group in Auckland. The last group that I knew of was an Amiga club but I have no idea how to contact it now. Are any PressF1 members Commodore fans or does anyone know of any?

feersumendjinn
16-12-2007, 12:20 AM
They can be used as a TV, hooked up to a VCR or DVR through the RCA/AV connections if I recall correctly (quite a while ago!).

Speedy Gonzales
16-12-2007, 05:50 AM
The 1084S is stereo (thats what the S means) as well.

And yup you can connect a VCR to it, or anything thats got RCA video / audio.

Not too sure what the 1084 was.

linw
16-12-2007, 08:22 AM
That's not a blast from the past for me. As I look up from my keyboard to a shelf above my monitor, what do I see? Yes, a 1084S! I have it hooked to a VCR for TV. These monitors give a darn good TV pic, too.

Robin S_
16-12-2007, 10:48 AM
Correct, folks. We originally kept it after the C64 went to a good cause, and used it, connected to a VCR, as a TV. Thanks, Speedy, for the explanation of the S suffix - I didn't know that.
Any suggestions for a good home for it, though?

Speedy Gonzales
16-12-2007, 10:56 AM
I had one of these monitors (I used to have an Amiga). Gave it away on loan to someone.

BUT, the person said it had died, how I dont know.

I dont know if he's lying or not.

I'll soon find out, I'm going to his house next week.

If u were in Auckland I would take it :D

Could use it as a security monitor.

bevy121
16-12-2007, 11:56 AM
These ones (http://www.amiga-hardware.com/showhardware.cgi?HARDID=849) :)

I've got one of those too! - and a couple of Amiga 500 PLUS machines
(512 + extended 512 making a whopping 1 megabyte) :rolleyes:

Aaah - they were good machines for learning on tho eh! :)

and those boot sector virus's (viri?) were SO much eaier to get rid of LOL

"Byte bandit" and "Lamer exterminator" are a couple that come to mind heh

Speedy Gonzales
16-12-2007, 12:02 PM
Yup sure were.

I've still got the Workbench disks. 2.04 2.1 and 3.1.

And the A590 / 20mb SCSI lol

And a few games/programs.

Send one of them here :D

Robin S_
16-12-2007, 09:33 PM
Speedy - I am in Auckland (that's why I was looking for an Auckland user group). I intend testing the monitor by hooking it up to a VCR (probably not till Tuesday) and will report back.

Robin S_
18-12-2007, 10:01 PM
Reporting back, and the plot gets thicker (or something). We also are storing a monitor of our daughter's and I have discovered that hers is also a Commodore one and now I am not sure which is which. One (which I thought was hers) is a plain 1084 and the other is a 1084S. She must have had an Amiga so I guess that the 1084S must have gone with that (and other indicators support that theory).
Anyhow, I connected the 1084 to a VCR and it appears to be fine. When I attempted to connect the 1084S, though, I ran into difficulties. It has a multitude of sockets and switches and I don't know which to use. I tried to use the sockets with the same labels as those that worked on the 1084, but when I plugged in the audio jack it produced a screech in the speaker (even with the VCR on standby). Even when I tried plugging it in with both jacks on the other end of the RCA cable not connected to anything (or touching) there was slight speaker static and rustle, and plugging in the the video jack by itself produced the same noise.
Linw, or someone, can you please tell me which sockets and switch settings to use (there is a switch labelled VCR, for instance) to test run the monitor with a VCR.
Our daughter might well want to get rid of her monitor, so there might be 2 available. Still interested, Speedy, when this is resolved?

Speedy Gonzales
18-12-2007, 10:15 PM
Theres a push button on the back of the 1084S you have to press

I'm pretty sure there's only one button that does push in.

To switch between the monitor, and video for a VCR. You could even plug a camera in the back of it, if it has video and audio on it.

I think the inputs for the video/audio are the same as a TV.

Yellow - video, white and red are the audio inputs. Since its stereo.

You probably plugged video into audio why u heard a screech

There is no video label. The monitor wasnt actually made for a VCR. Its just that its got sockets, so u can use one.

Yup. I'm still interested

Is it free :D

zqwerty
18-12-2007, 11:44 PM
I have two of the 1084S's, I replaced faulty LOPT's in both of them years ago, and at the time was told that it was a known fault in these models which is now fixed in the new Xmers, and it seems to be so as both of them have been running for years on old VCR's as TV's and on occasions as monitors for PS2, they have a very good picture and I am very happy with both of them.

I have one by my computer and one in my bedroom.

linw
19-12-2007, 11:27 AM
Mine doesn't have a push button sw on the back. Doesn't have a VCR sw, either. It does have a slide sw labelled for Digital and Analogue (set to Analog). The other inputs are also labelled - Audio L and R, Video, and Chroma (ignore this one). Sounds like there were some variations.

Robin S_
19-12-2007, 04:43 PM
Thanks folks. This monitor definitely has several 2-position switches.
However, our daughter rang this morning and said that she no longer wants her monitor, so Speedy, they are both available free to a good home. Please send me a PM if still interested, and I hope I can latch on as I haven't been down that track before.