PDA

View Full Version : Will this SATA drive work in my PC?

springa886
15-12-2007, 10:25 PM
Hey guys, im about to buy a new HDD from an online store but and I thought I'd better ask this question rather than get the drive and it not work on me!!
So, I basically just want to know if the drive will work with my mobo. The mobo is a "MS-7142 (K8MM-V)" and the drive is a "Seagate Barracuda 160GB 7200RPM SATAII 8MB." Now reading through the owners manual I havn't seen anything to do with "SATA II," only "SATA 1.0" and "SATA I raid (niether of which I know anyhting about, all I know is I bought the cords I needed from TradeMe and now i'm buying the drive :D)."
Plus, im curious to know if there would be any other conflicts with the drive and my mobo.
Cheers for reading my problem :D any help is appreciated.

Myth
15-12-2007, 11:25 PM
Short answer, highly unlikely it will run properly (by default)

From here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_ATA)

Backward compatibility between SATA 1.5 Gbit/s controllers and SATA 3.0 Gbit/s devices was important, so SATA/300's autonegotiation sequence is designed to fallback to SATA/150 speed (1.5 Gbit/s rate) when in communication with such devices. In practice, some older SATA controllers do not properly implement SATA speed negotiation. Affected systems require user-intervention to manually set the SATA 3.0 Gbit/s peripherals to 1.5 Gbit/s mode, generally through the use of a jumper.[2] Known faulty chipsets include the VIA VT8237 and VT8237R south bridges, and the VIA VT6420 and VT6421L standalone SATA controllers.

According to http://www.msicomputer.com/product/p_spec.asp?model=K8MM-V&class=mb you have one of the known faulty chipsets (VIA VT8237R)

As mentioned, there may be a jumper you can adjust. Read the manual BEFORE you buy a SATA-2 device to see if such a jumper exists

feersumendjinn
16-12-2007, 12:27 AM
The jumper is on the drive :p
http://www.seagate.com/images/support/en/us/cuda_sata_block.gif

Myth
16-12-2007, 06:53 AM
The jumper is on the drive :p
http://www.seagate.com/images/support/en/us/cuda_sata_block.gifHaving never dealt with SATA personally, I've just learnt something.. ty :)

springa886
16-12-2007, 04:48 PM
Ummmm.... hey cheers for the feedback guys but, IM LOST LOL. Does that mean all I have to do is set a jumper on the back of the drive for it to work in my system? and if so, what do I set it to?
Or am I still lost?? :D

Myth
16-12-2007, 04:51 PM
As per feersumendjinn's pic, set the jumper on the back of the drive to "Limit data transfer rate to 1.5Gb/s"
There should be a diagram on the harddrive too :)

Agent_24
16-12-2007, 06:06 PM
by default segate drives ship with the SATA 1 jumper ON. Worth noting if you feel your SATA II is not going as fast as you think it is....

If you get one that doesn't have the jumper, you can easily add one. Then it should work fine

springa886
16-12-2007, 07:34 PM
Thank you very much everyone. (Sorry about my last dumb post.... guess i should have looked at that link before i posted back huh :D)
Cheers.

springa886
20-12-2007, 01:53 PM
Umm, hey guys, I just got the new SATA drive today and put it in my case and hooked it up... then everything went bad!! I let it go through it's usuall process and it stopped at a screen that I have never seen before saying something about "Hardware Configuration and reading a manual" or something (it doesn't say what the manual is for, the drive or the mobo, and i onl;y have the manual for the mobo, the drive did'nt come with one!!!).
Anyway, I restarted the PC and then hit Tab when it said to and a screen came up with "VIA Tech. VT8237 SATA RAID BIOS Ver. 4.50" at the top and few options underneath (again, I have never seen this screen before either,) but also a big red flashing notice saying: "NOTICE: The number of disks is not adequate to create RAID." Before i installed the SATA drive I had 2x DVD Drives and 2x HDDs connected to IDE. All of these are still conected and if I unplug the SATA drive my PC startsup as usuall.
I don't know what to do!! Any suggestions???

Cheers.

Agent_24
20-12-2007, 02:01 PM
When you added the SATA drive it activated the extra SATA RAID BIOS extension that's for your SATA contoller. It's just the same as the system BIOS setup utility but it's for creating RAID arrays. As you only have 1 drive, you cannot create a RAID array, hence the error. You don't need to create an array so there should be an option to just skip that.

The manual is referencing your motherboard manual. Near the back in the BIOS setup section there should be some instructions on how to use the SATA RAID array setup. There it will have instructions on how to proceed without an array if you're using just a single drive.

Bantu
20-12-2007, 02:03 PM
Did you set BIOS boot order of your original C Drive?
Did you plug it into the Raid Sockets instead of the SATA ones?
If you have combination SATA/RAID Sockets there might be a setting in the Raid Setup to run a single drive.

Having 4 devices on the IDE as well will make no difference providing your boot order has not changed.

springa886
20-12-2007, 02:38 PM
Agent 24, Thankyou very much for your advice, I will be diving into the manual ASAP (Once I find it lol.) Your a legend!!!
Bantu, yeah I sorted the boot order out but i'm not sure what the Raid sockets are. I think they maybe combined SATA?RAID Sockets but who knows..... i'm noob!!!
Cheers guys :)

**UPDATE**

The manual for the K8MM-V BITES!!!! It doesn't tell me a thing. What should i try now???

Agent_24
20-12-2007, 03:13 PM
Both of the SATA ports on your motherboard also support RAID.

Yes, I just downloaded the manual for your board and I can't find anything about RAID in there either.

I remember with one of my boards the RAID manual was a separate piece of paper - perhaps yours is also?

springa886
20-12-2007, 03:26 PM
No sorry, if there was an extra piece of paper, I don't have it now lol.
Any other ideas??

Agent_24
20-12-2007, 04:03 PM
can you plug the SATA drive back in and tell us (or take a photo if possible) of the message that comes up?

springa886
20-12-2007, 06:00 PM
Sorry about the delay, yeah sure. It says: Windows could not start because of a computer disk hardware configuration problem.
Could not read from the selected boot disk. Check boot path and disk hardware.
Please check the windows documentation about hardware disk configuration and your hardware reference manuals for additional information.

What do ya think?

P.S. I just took it to a guy who works in a computer shop and he couldn't figureit out either. The boot path and sequence is correct!!

Speedy Gonzales
20-12-2007, 06:07 PM
This (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314477)

Or This (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/311073)

springa886
20-12-2007, 06:17 PM
Hey Speedy, I read your two suggestions but I don't have a floppy drive so I guess that counts the second option out. Will your first option fix the problem im having with my SATA drive?

Speedy Gonzales
20-12-2007, 06:23 PM
Well, its not my suggestion, its MS's.

I have no idea, whether it'll work or not.

I've never had this error, or this prob.

Try it, see what happens.

The 2nd link will probably work with a bootable USB flash disk as well.

springa886
20-12-2007, 06:32 PM
Okay cool, Im going thru the stages of METHOD 4 in your first option right now (i'm on my laptop.) I have a 60GB external drive, but im guessing that its not a flash drive?? im not sure what a flash drive is lol!

P.S. The guy from the shop said that he would flash my bios.... I thought he was being rude lol

Speedy Gonzales
20-12-2007, 06:50 PM
These are USB flash drives (http://www.edencomputers.co.nz/c.aspx?c=Hardware&s=usb+product&ss=USB+2.0+Flash+Drive)

Agent_24
20-12-2007, 07:01 PM
I'm guessing that somehow adding the SATA drive changed the mount point for the original system drive, now boot.ini is pointing to the wrong drive?

If so, this (from speedy's first link) would be most likely work to correct it:

Method 2
Use the Bootcfg utility in the Recovery Console to correct the Boot.ini file: 1. Use the Windows XP CD-ROM to start your computer.
2. When you receive the message to press R to repair Windows by using the Recovery Console, press the R key.
3. Select the Windows installation that you want, and then type the administrator password when prompted.
4. Type bootcfg /rebuild, and then press ENTER.
5. When the Windows installation is located, the following instructions are displayed:
Add installation to boot list? (Yes/No/All)
[Type Y in response to this message.]

Enter Load Identifier:
[This is the name of the operating system. Type Windows XP Professional or Windows XP Home Edition.]

Enter OS Load options:
[Leave this field blank, and then press ENTER].
After you perform the preceding steps, restart the computer, and then select the first item on the boot menu. This should allow Windows XP to start normally.

After Windows XP has successfully loaded, the Boot.ini can be modified to remove the incorrect entry.

springa886
20-12-2007, 07:07 PM
I've said it before and i'll say it again, Speedy, you my friend, are a legend!!! Problem SOLVED!!! I went thru METHOD 4 of Speedy's 1st option and it worked, formatting the drive right now.
Agent, thanx for all the help, ur a champion too :)

Speedy Gonzales
20-12-2007, 07:26 PM
Cool, good to hear you got it going again!

Agent_24
20-12-2007, 08:13 PM
That's great news :)