PDA

View Full Version : *&#@!!!! Computer crash... anything i can do?

password
14-12-2007, 09:18 PM
Hey i was just playing urban terror on my other computer, and all of a sudden the screen went bright white, and it turned off... my first reaction was to boot it back up do i did, and it came up with something like, bios problem, searching for floppy drive, not found (i do have one), searching for CD drive, not found... then shut off again... i cant start it back up again!! when i try it nothing comes up on the screen and nothing loads..

Is there anything i can do to save it from the computer shop?

I have a ASUS P4P800S-X motherboard (i am thinking it is the motherboard)

Thanks, i know i am always posting with my problems but man u guys are so helpful!! thsnks :badpc:

stu161204
14-12-2007, 09:26 PM
How old or new is the computer?

Have you had any hardware problems with it recently?

Was its running fine before you played the game?

password
14-12-2007, 09:30 PM
Well we got it about half a year ago from a computer builder

NO we have not except for our microsoft mouse sometimes jumped when you scrolled with the middle button

And yes i have had that game for 3 months now and its played it nice and sweet, but it just crapped out tonight...

Agent_24
14-12-2007, 09:42 PM
bios problem? do you have the exact error message? what does the computer do now? the same thing?

password
14-12-2007, 09:46 PM
when i plug it in and urn it on, it starts up lyk the green light turns on and the fan starts, but nothing comes up on the screen.... And nothing loads because the red loading light does not come on lyk normal.... i did not get the error message because it did it im a split second so i could only just read it...

Agent_24
14-12-2007, 10:01 PM
See if you can get it to stop at the point where the message is, hit the pause key on the keyboard just when (or just before) the message comes up on the screen

password
14-12-2007, 10:03 PM
well i would do that but nothing comes up on he screen, i fould the same pic in the motherboard book it says "Bad BIOS Checksum".

password
14-12-2007, 10:15 PM
I have had a look round other forums and alot of people are having the same difficulties so i might just take it in to the shop and get them to have a look at the motherboard and i just might buy a new pc if they cant do anything... oh well there goes my X-MAS holiday money lol

Agent_24
14-12-2007, 10:18 PM
Sounds like your BIOS has killed itself (or been killed)

You could try resetting it with clear CMOS jumper or remove the battery for a minute or so, but otherwise you may be able to get it going again with "crashfree BIOS 2" recovery

The manual will tell you how to do this, you may need to download a new BIOS file from asus website or you can probably use the driver CD that came with the board

password
14-12-2007, 10:21 PM
You could try resetting it with clear CMOS jumper or remove the battery for a minute or so, but otherwise you may be able to get it going again with "crashfree BIOS 2" recovery

How do do this?? is the battery the little round one on the motherboard?

Agent_24
14-12-2007, 10:29 PM
Yes that's right, just push the little clip holding the battery in away from the battery, and the battery should pop right out.

leave it out for a couple of minutes or so and then put it back in, make sure you get it in the right side up, and to get it back in just put it back in on an angle by putting the side of the battery furthest away from the clip into the socket first, then push down on the side of the battery over the clip, the clip will push out and then clip onto the battery.

password
14-12-2007, 10:33 PM
ok its out, so what will it do?

Agent_24
14-12-2007, 10:37 PM
All your BIOS settings (including date/time etc) will be cleared and reset to defaults.

If corrupted settings were causing your problem, then the problem should now be fixed.

So now go ahead, put the battery back, power the PC up and see what happens...

password
14-12-2007, 10:47 PM
ok, now i placed it back in, but it starts up but it has nothing on the screen.... i try and put the cd in there but it does nothing it just sits there... is my motherboard screwed? plz say no lol

Agent_24
14-12-2007, 11:01 PM
Motherboard screwed - probably not, but your BIOS chip is likely to be dead. Either way that practically means screwed motherboard.

It may be possible to buy or otherwise aquire a new chip from Asus, but that will come down to if your BIOS chip is socketed or not.

If the chip is soldered onto the PCB it's still possible to replace, but expensive, would require special tools, and not many people would bother doing it for you, not when you could replace the board for the same price (or less)

If clearing the BIOS finished it off then I doubt your flash chip had long to live anyway, either a reprogram may have failed, or if it had worked the same thing may have happened tomorrow or next week.

password
14-12-2007, 11:01 PM
IF it is broke, the hard drive will still be ok? will i be able to plug it into my new computer and use it?

Agent_24
14-12-2007, 11:06 PM
Yes, everything else in your computer should be fine

password
14-12-2007, 11:09 PM
Hey i have dodgy house wiring, would the power cutting out and suddenly going back on have affected the motherboard? or set this off in this way?

Agent_24
14-12-2007, 11:17 PM
If either event caused a power surge, it's possible that something may have been damaged as a result, though I'd expect blown PSU before faulty BIOS chip/motherboard. still, stranger things have happened

May be wise to invest in a UPS or an electrician

password
14-12-2007, 11:20 PM
Kool as Thank you very much for ur help!

I will have a look round... BTW, are motherboards very hard to install? or should i take it to a pro at a shop to do it

Agent_24
14-12-2007, 11:36 PM
Motherboards are technically the hardest to replace, because as everything else plugs into them, you effectively need to know how to replace the lot.

Taking it to a shop would probably be the best idea, as they may even be able to get a new BIOS chip (if that's the problem) and provided it's socketed it would probably be easiest/cheapest

The main problem if you needed to replace your board would be getting a replacement one, and it's not likely you'll find one brand new.

You may be able to get a 2nd hand one from trademe, and you could get a shop to install it for you.

password
14-12-2007, 11:42 PM
could i just buy a new motherboard and install the software for it overtop of the old software or will that create problems of there own?

Agent_24
14-12-2007, 11:52 PM
If you got one with similar chipset series and design you may not even have to do anything to your software, but if the design is totally different sometimes it will work (after windows sorts out all the drivers), sometimes not (it will just bluescreen on boot or shortly afterwards)

In that case you would (or you could get a shop to) do what is known as a repair installation of windows, which does not delete any documents or other files, however some programs may also need to be reinstalled afterwards to make them work.

Then, you could install the new motherboard software and drivers.

password
14-12-2007, 11:58 PM
OKi i was looking at the motherboard that they recommended in the latest PC WORLD mag, and there about $150 so i might just buy that and get them to install it at the shop! Thank you AGENT 24 for your help. just give me a message if you need any software help, not hardware =P (not that a smart guy lyk you would not know less than me hehe :))

Tyvm i will take it to the computer shop tomorrow

wainuitech
15-12-2007, 08:45 AM
Well we got it about half a year ago from a computer builder

If its only 6 months old then it will still be under warranty, boards come with either 1-3 years warranty, depending on the make or what warranty the builder puts on them - the board may be replaced for free as long as there is no sign of any external damage causing the problem - Eg: the power surges you mentioned.

Agent_24
15-12-2007, 11:57 AM
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Oh dear, I must have never read that bit :lol:

Yes of course, just take it back and get it replaced under warranty :D

Joe_Davies
15-12-2007, 12:29 PM
Hi Password,

Often there is a spring clip in the BIOS battery - which looks like a big watch battery BTW. Press it back to release the battery, take out the battery for a few minutes, and put it back in again.

Joe Davies

password
19-12-2007, 07:15 PM
Hey guys thanks for your help, i took it to te shop and i brought a new dual core for $150 and got the pc shop to install it and its sweet as now! Thank you to everyone that helped me out! Merry Christmas to all!

Agent_24
19-12-2007, 07:39 PM
They installed a new CPU into the old motherboard? or what? I'm confused...

Good to see it's working again...

Billy T
19-12-2007, 10:48 PM
Well we got it about half a year ago from a computer builder...
So it should be under warranty then. Take it back and get it fixed, doesn't matter what's wrong so long as you didn't physically damage it.

Six months is not normal life expectancy.

Some people have more money than sense.......

Cheers

Billy 8-{)