PDA

View Full Version : upgrade cpu or ram?

taunton7
13-12-2007, 06:03 PM
I have a hp pavilion desktop with 2x 225mb DDR ram (and 2x expansion slots) and also currently have a Intel Pentium 4.

I have lately noticed it starting to run a little slower and would like to consider upgrading. I would like to know what would be the most cost effective way of getting it to run better.:badpc:

It isnít running to many games, it has about 93 gig of storage left (used space 50 gig aprox) it has a lot of photoes on and is used reasonably often for playing DVDs, web browsing, homework, Skype, music, e mail, you tube, games, etc.

Any help will be appreciated.

:confused: :help:

Speedy Gonzales
13-12-2007, 06:14 PM
What version of windows is on it??

If XP some more ram would help.

Have you defragged the hdd recently?

Whats the speed of the CPU at the mo? Is it a P4 or Celeron CPU?

wainuitech
13-12-2007, 06:18 PM
Welcome to PressF1 Taunton - One way to get a little speed and not pay anything in the way of hardware upgrades is to do a clean up.

Down load Ccleaner from my sig, as well as spyware doctor, run them both that will remove a bit of "Junk".

Another cleaner you can use as well is WiseCleaner (http://wisecleaner.com/) Down Load that DO NOT install the Reg cleaner when prompted.
When running / deleting select the option to delete to recycle Bin, that way if it does happen to take something out its not meant to you can put it back.

You can delete any unused programs. Then do a defrag.

What Antivirus do you run ?

taunton7
13-12-2007, 06:46 PM
It is running win xp, i have deleted all unused files & programs and am going to run a defrag later today, i curently run eset nod23 antivirus, my pc's cpu is a intel pentium 4 533MHz

Speedy Gonzales
13-12-2007, 06:51 PM
And whats the speed of the CPU?? 1.6? 2.xx?

It also depends if the mobo supports 800 fsb CPU's.

If youre planning on getting a 800 fsb CPU.

Altho, you'll be lucky to find a P4 CPU these days. Theyre pretty rare.

So, if u wanted to change the CPU, u would have to update the ram and the mobo as well.

drcspy
13-12-2007, 07:22 PM
you'll be lucky to find a P4 CPU these days. Theyre pretty rare

plenty on trademe even the occasional boxed one still brand new unopened

taunton7
14-12-2007, 08:44 AM
is it then posible to upgrade to a duel core processer:confused:

i hove looked at ram on trade me and there is a lot of ram compatible with my pc

Speedy Gonzales
14-12-2007, 08:51 AM
is it then possible to upgrade to a duel core processor:confused:

You can. But you'll have to buy another mobo (dual core wont fit on the mobo you have). Then you'll have to buy another CPU and ram.

And you may have to buy another case, and another PSU as well.

Greg
14-12-2007, 08:52 AM
is it then posible to upgrade to a duel core processerNot unless you get a new motherboard as well.

taunton7
14-12-2007, 09:10 AM
so will i be able to upgrade the ram without getting a new motherboard?

drcspy
14-12-2007, 09:19 AM
of course........

ram for your beast should be readily available it's even possible to buy it new.........

grahic
14-12-2007, 10:43 AM
if i was you, i would just buy a brand you computer.

Thebananamonkey
14-12-2007, 10:52 AM
Looking at everything above, it may be easier for you to just buy a new comp. 500mhz is pretty low, so even with a fresh install of xp I can't see you getting too much more usage out of it. If you buy a new mobo you'll also (probably) need to get a new psu, and new mobos have PCIE instead of AGP, so if you want games you'll need a new graphics card. Your RAM probably won't fit into a new one and so on and so on. There comes a point in each pc's life where the best thing to do is to take it outside and deal to it with a sledgehammer.
Open task manager and look at cpu/ram usage for a while and that should tell you if you need more of either. IF you really want to get your current one faster the best way is a fresh install of windows and maybe some new ram.

But really, new comps aren't that expensive these days, so you'll probably save yourself money in the long run (and frustration) by getting a new one

taunton7
14-12-2007, 12:14 PM
i have been thinking of reinstaling windows.

will this help?:badpc:

Speedy Gonzales
14-12-2007, 12:22 PM
Might for a while.

I would still get more ram, if you're planning on keeping this system.

Pete O'Neil
14-12-2007, 12:36 PM
Looking at everything above, it may be easier for you to just buy a new comp. 500mhz is pretty low, so even with a fresh install of xp I can't see you getting too much more usage out of it. If you buy a new mobo you'll also (probably) need to get a new psu, and new mobos have PCIE instead of AGP, so if you want games you'll need a new graphics card. Your RAM probably won't fit into a new one and so on and so on. There comes a point in each pc's life where the best thing to do is to take it outside and deal to it with a sledgehammer.
Open task manager and look at cpu/ram usage for a while and that should tell you if you need more of either. IF you really want to get your current one faster the best way is a fresh install of windows and maybe some new ram.

But really, new comps aren't that expensive these days, so you'll probably save yourself money in the long run (and frustration) by getting a new one
Did you even engage the brain and realise that Intel never made a P4 as low as 533MHz? 533MHz is most likely the FSB speed which suggests the CPU would be in the 1.8-2.4GHz range. Not an overly fast CPU by todays standards but still sufficent for basic desktop usage.

Theres no need to go replacing the entire PC and a few novice forum members have suggested. More memory should offer a solid improvement and is a relatively easy upgrade. You mention in an earlier post that you play games on the PC, what games in particular? Chances are its not anything modern.

If you have your heart set on playing modern games then a new PC is the best solution, but if the main role of the PC is basic desktop usage then the current setup is likely to be sufficent. The suggestion to reinstall windows is a good one, as over a long period of time Windows can become very cluttered and full of crap.

drcspy
14-12-2007, 12:47 PM
Did you even engage the brain and realise that Intel never made a P4 as low as 533MHz? 533MHz is most likely the FSB speed which suggests the CPU would be in the 1.8-2.4GHz range. Not an overly fast CPU by todays standards but still sufficent for basic desktop usage.

lol obviously Thebananamonkey missed that info .........

Theres no need to go replacing the entire PC and a few novice forum members have suggested. More memory should offer a solid improvement and is a relatively easy upgrade.

and I fully agree with that

Thebananamonkey
14-12-2007, 12:54 PM
I'm sorry... I didn't have Intels entire backdated CPU catalogue at the forefront of my brain. IDIOT! They also said that they were using it to play games... anything other than tetris is really going to struggle on that sort of Mhz surely. I did also say that a fresh install and more RAM would make the current comp usable, so maybe just relax a bit before criticising??? Maybe? And what's your definition of modern? My old PC at home was spec'd a bit higher than this and it struggled with anything less than 4 years old.

PC's are so cheap though that getting a fairly cheap laptop would solve all sorts of problems straight away, and that sort of system isn't really going to last much longer anyway is it? It's an investment, sure, but it's worth it.

Thebananamonkey
14-12-2007, 12:55 PM
Not to turn a thread into an argument, I'm just saying give me a break

Pete O'Neil
14-12-2007, 01:38 PM
I'm sorry... I didn't have Intels entire backdated CPU catalogue at the forefront of my brain. IDIOT! They also said that they were using it to play games... anything other than tetris is really going to struggle on that sort of Mhz surely. I did also say that a fresh install and more RAM would make the current comp usable, so maybe just relax a bit before criticising??? Maybe? And what's your definition of modern? My old PC at home was spec'd a bit higher than this and it struggled with anything less than 4 years old.

PC's are so cheap though that getting a fairly cheap laptop would solve all sorts of problems straight away, and that sort of system isn't really going to last much longer anyway is it? It's an investment, sure, but it's worth it.
When gaming the video card is far more important in most cases than the CPU, but it also depends on what sort of games the OP plans to play. For all you know they may just want to play The Sims on the odd ocasion thus the system they have is sufficent.

A friend of mine is able to play a large number of recent games on his Athlon XP 2500+ and an AGP 7600GS. Its only been recently with the release of UT3/Crysis that he hasnt been able to play the latest games.

Cheap laptops always have intergrated graphics and thus would be even worse for gaming, so unless they are primarily being used for simple desktop tasks such as internet and email they aren't a good solution.

Its not always an option so simple go and replace a computer, for many people who visit these forums they dont have a lot of money and are looking for a cost effective option to squeeze a couple more months out of there PC.

It seems to happen quite often around this time of year, alot of younger members join up because they are bored and then come around here and make poorly thought out recommendations.

Thebananamonkey
14-12-2007, 01:46 PM
OK... humble pie time. I agree with you entirely. A new PC isn't always the best idea for some people. But they were talking about upgrading MoBO, and mainly what I was thinking is that from there it's actually easier to replace everything entirely isn't it? More RAM and a clean install are good, but they were talking about a new cpu, and MoBo, which is a different story. No?

PENTIUM
14-12-2007, 02:59 PM
You are unlikely to be happy after spending money on components for this machine as it has a number of limitations.
You have been given excellent advice on enhancing the performance of what you have.
It is still a good bread and butter unit, which is all it was ever intended to be.

taunton7
14-12-2007, 03:27 PM
My cpu is a

Intel Pentium 4
processor 515J
2.93 GHz, 1MB L2 cache,
533 MHz FSB, 90nm

as stated on the side of the computer.

Speedy Gonzales
14-12-2007, 03:35 PM
Nothing wrong with that, actually its faster than this one (2.4), but this is a 800 fsb CPU.

The only reason you would change the CPU, is if u wanted hyperthreading. BUT thats no big deal.

Its handy. but u dont need it.

BUT I would definitely get more ram.

taunton7
14-12-2007, 03:38 PM
thanks for the help.

Is it a good idea to get ram of trade me?

Speedy Gonzales
14-12-2007, 03:42 PM
I would buy from someone who could come to your house, so you can test that it works.

Rather than buy it then find its dead.

I've never brought or sold anything on trademe.

If I did buy something, I would look for someone local so they could come here.

So, I know its going to work.

Pete O'Neil
14-12-2007, 03:43 PM
thanks for the help.

Is it a good idea to get ram of trade me?
Probably not, ram isnt very expensive and buying from a reputable shop atleast gets you a warranty. If you buy from TradeMe you run the chance of the seller wanting nothing to do with you once the sale is complete. For the amount of money you may save I wouldnt risk buying from TradeMe. As always its a personal choice.

taunton7
14-12-2007, 03:51 PM
I will try are local computer shop and compare prices.

:nerd:

Thebananamonkey
14-12-2007, 04:53 PM
[QUOTE=taunton7;624296]
2.93 GHz, 1MB L2 cache,
533 MHz FSB, 90nm

I thought it was 533Mhz all up... Lol, actually that's probably faster than this one. RAM is probably all you need. Disregard all my previous comments. I knew I should have just left proper advice up to the pro's. Such a good forum!

PENTIUM
14-12-2007, 05:02 PM
The spec is much better than the earlier info suggested. However you may have trouble if you do not use the correct RAM.

taunton7
15-12-2007, 10:24 AM
sorry for the misunderstanding, my mum was trying to get me off the computer

:lol: