PDA

View Full Version : Vista SP1 RC Available

wainuitech
13-12-2007, 04:16 PM
Vista SP1 is available for download if any one wants to try it Pick Your Flavour (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windowsvista/bb969139.aspx)

qazwsxokmijn
13-12-2007, 04:21 PM
What's RC stand for?

stu161204
13-12-2007, 04:23 PM
What's RC stand for?

Release Candidate

wainuitech
13-12-2007, 09:19 PM
Just finished installing the RC SP1 for Vista on a workshop PC thats loaded to be screwed / software tested - Bit of an update as we go.

Downloaded, burnt to CD , file was 436MB.

Started to install They weren't Bloody Kidding (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/SP1.JPG) at least you get a warning, original install of Vista took around 30 minutes from a Image I had made up for testing purposes - Install of SP1 RC 1 hour 43 minutes :horrified So dont be in a hurry to install it if times short.

Finally Installed (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/Installed.JPG) - then came the fun part - Multi warnings Like This (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/nod.JPG) from Nod32.

After 3 reboots finally settled down - so far nothing gone wrong.

Windows do open faster, files opening / general system appears faster, files / pictures seem to have more of a "snap" to them when opening.

Next few days will tell -

Be interesting if any one else trys this to post back any results - good or bad.

qazwsxokmijn
13-12-2007, 09:24 PM
WT - any bullcrap UAC objections? Without tweaking permissions and stuff, I can't even run ATItool. Have you tried testing the permission settings?

wainuitech
13-12-2007, 09:27 PM
WT - any bullcrap UAC objections? Without tweaking permissions and stuff, I can't even run ATItool. Have you tried testing the permission settings? No testing yet apart from a few opening files folders etc, I thought I'd install it and have a "play tonight", wasn't expecting a damn near 2 hour install :D, I'll try those sort of thing tomorrow / over the weekend. Only objections were Nod32 popping up saying program changes - so far.

CYaBro
13-12-2007, 10:10 PM
Is it possible to slipstream this SP1?

zqwerty
14-12-2007, 12:32 AM
Has anyone tried Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 3 RC1, from here:

http://www.majorgeeks.com/Microsoft_Windows_XP_Service_Pack_3_d4323.html

Apparently there are noticeable speed increases. Too big for me to d/ld on dial-up.

pctek
14-12-2007, 09:04 AM
Is it possible to slipstream this SP1?

Do it with Vlite. That will cut the crap.

Speedy Gonzales
14-12-2007, 09:48 AM
I wouldnt bother slipstreaming, or downloading a beta / RC1 version.

Wait for the release version to come out.

paulw
14-12-2007, 12:07 PM
Has anyone tried Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 3 RC1, from here:

http://www.majorgeeks.com/Microsoft_Windows_XP_Service_Pack_3_d4323.html

Apparently there are noticeable speed increases. Too big for me to d/ld on dial-up.

I tried it on a couple of older PCs here at work. Boot up time about the same but applications seemed about 10% faster than with SP2..

zqwerty
14-12-2007, 12:52 PM
Thanks paulw, I appreciate the information.

MaXimus
14-12-2007, 01:37 PM
So if I have Vista installed, is SP1 just an update like it was the case with XP?

Also, my Sony VAIO laptop doesn't come with a Vista OS CD. Just a recovery partition, would someon with an original Vista CD be able to slipstream SP1 once it's released and upload the whole DVD image somewhere? I don't need the CD key off-course since I own a legit Vista Business Product Key. I just don't feel downloading it from a torrent, and would appreciate it from a trusted source such as you guys here.

Speedy Gonzales
14-12-2007, 01:47 PM
They could try but it'll be linked to the partition and the laptop.

And the install will probably see that its not the original hardware it was made for, and complain.

If its the legit version then yup you can slipstream SP1 with it. Whether it'll activate later is another matter.

MaXimus
14-12-2007, 03:02 PM
oh I have to activate over the phone. and like I said. I don't have a Vista CD. i need someone to upload itto some site later when SP1 releases. can u do it bro?

Speedy Gonzales
14-12-2007, 03:05 PM
No its illegal read the rules.

MaXimus
14-12-2007, 04:28 PM
oh I thought it would be legal since i'll be using my own genuince CD key

Speedy Gonzales
14-12-2007, 04:48 PM
No if u dont buy it, it isnt legal.

Doesnt matter if u download it or not, or if u have a key.

Codex
14-12-2007, 11:05 PM
anyone know if theres a final release date due? hopefully this really is worth getting

quite frankly sick of dodgy vista bugs and glitches lol

Speedy Gonzales
15-12-2007, 06:06 AM
2nd 1/4 of next year or something.

Whenever that is.

Codex
15-12-2007, 02:11 PM
2nd 1/4 of next year or something.

Whenever that is.

man thats lame

well what does sp3 for xp contain, just a patch pack?

Speedy Gonzales
15-12-2007, 02:36 PM
SP3 includes SP1 and 2.

And from Here (http://arstechnica.com/journals/microsoft.ars/2007/10/10/details-on-xp-sp3-emerge-some-vista-features-back-ported)

Some of these features, are in Vista and Server 2008 now.

* Network Access Protection (NAP): This is a policy enforcement platform meant for enterprise use that inspects systems attempting to access a corporate network to ensure they meet whatever security criteria the corporation has in place. If systems fail to meet the necessary criteria, they can be updated or blocked from using the network, depending on the nature of the flaw.

* New Product Activation module: Just as in Vista, users will be able to install XP without entering a product key at installation.

* "Black Hole" Router Detection: A black hole router is a router that drops packets without returning the specified Internet Control Message Protocol (ICMP) response. This feature aids in detecting and protecting the end user from such a problem. Previously, according to Microsoft documents, reliable detection of a black hole router involved use of an appropriately configured "ping" command, followed by further manual commands for working around the problem.

* Microsoft Kernel Cryptographic Module: This feature incorporates cryptographic algorithms in a single module other kernel mode drivers are capable of hooking into and accessing.

allblack
15-12-2007, 06:44 PM
So....if someone had a Vista lappie, would this SP1 download automatically if the settings were set to such, or do they have to go looking and manually d/load it?

wainuitech
15-12-2007, 07:03 PM
So....if someone had a Vista lappie, would this SP1 download automatically if the settings were set to such, or do they have to go looking and manually d/load it?

Microsoft dont put beta / Release Candidate versions in the auto updates,( which is what this SP1 RC is) as these are still in testing stages, and if you install one of these , when you agree to the terms and conditions they state that it is still in a testing stage - use at your own risk.

The down load link is in Post #1. So far after installing the RC in a Test PC and using it for a day or so - no ill effects yet.

Below is copied from the included instructions from MS.

• This is pre-release code and will change before the final release. Windows Vista SP1 Release Candidate is for individuals, organizations, and technical enthusiasts who are comfortable evaluating pre-release software. This pre-release software is provided for testing purposes only. Microsoft does not recommend installing this software on primary or mission critical systems. Microsoft recommends that you have a backup of your data prior to installing any pre-release software.
• Windows Vista SP1 Release Candidate is Time-Limited software. It will no longer operate after June 30, 2008 and should be uninstalled prior to that date. Note: After installation your desktop will show the text “Evaluation Copy”. This does not mean that your system is no longer “Genuine”. It means that you have installed a test version of software which is time-limited.
• The “Evaluation Copy” text will show up on the 2nd boot after installing the service pack. Likewise, the Evaluation Copy text will remain during the first boot after uninstall, but will disappear after the next reboot.
• If you install the Service Pack 1 Release Candidate, it is strongly recommended that you also plan to install the final version of Windows Vista SP1 when it is released in the first quarter of 2008. To do this, you will be required to uninstall this pre-release code.
• Support is through self-help and peer support via the Windows Vista SP1 forum. Assisted support (phone, email and online chat) is not available from Microsoft Support for this RC release of SP1.
• You must have a genuine copy of Windows Vista installed on the computer prior to installing the Windows Vista SP1 update.

spaceman8815
15-12-2007, 07:07 PM
I have downloaded SP1 to my Laptop running windows vista home premium. It took about 30 min to download and another 2 hrs to install it. It got to 100% complete in stage 3 of 3 and then said the service pack did not install and started reverting back automatically, which took anther 2.5 hrs. Anyone know why it did this and how it could be fixed ?

allblack
15-12-2007, 07:08 PM
Microsoft dont put beta / Release Candidate versions in the auto updates,( which is what this SP1 RC is)

aaaah....I see. Kindof got that impression but wasn't sure. Will leave it alone then!

Cheers for that. As hot in Wainui as it is in J'ville? :waughh:

wainuitech
15-12-2007, 07:49 PM
aaaah....I see. Kindof got that impression but wasn't sure. Will leave it alone then!

Cheers for that. As hot in Wainui as it is in J'ville? :waughh:

Sure is Muggy - got a sore head from to much something - god knows what -:dogeye: Sweating like hell - to hot - all the windows open - Movie night tonight - now what will we watch :rolleyes:

To answer the question relating to the install Dont know if this will help - make sure you run windows updates, - I also noticed that in the download page there are 3 files, the SP1 , the Doc and 1 called Read before you install.xps - I didn't open it but there may be additional instructions / Trouble shooting.

powerover
15-12-2007, 08:58 PM
ummmm.... can't wait to get my hands on it...