PDA

View Full Version : Weird keyboard problem

keyboard
13-12-2007, 02:46 PM
Here's a brain teaser for you...

I've just installed a new HD which boots and works perfectly after cloning the contents from my old HD with Ghost. So far so good.

When I boot I can press delete and enter the BIOS setup and everything works perfectly there. But when I boot into Win2k I have no keyboard. The mouse still works fine. I'd love to pop into device manager but without a KB I can't log in. Booting in Safe Mode has the same result.

It's a PS2 keyboard and the problem is the same with another (brand new) kb. I don't have a USB keyboard to try unfortunately.

The system was virus scanned yesterday and I ran SpyBot and AdAware as well with no errors so it's unlikely to be viral.

Has anyone come across anything like this before? Any creative suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks!

wratterus
13-12-2007, 02:51 PM
Thats a curly one.

Are you able to try the keyboard on your old HDD? (The one you cloned from).

keyboard
13-12-2007, 02:55 PM
Unfortunately I've already reformatted that one after a couple of hours of testing to make sure everything was in place. A little hasty of me perhaps?

keyboard
13-12-2007, 02:58 PM
I've just run the Win2k install disk and selected "Repair" (using the keyboard I may add). But when it finished and booted into Windows there's still no kb. This is a frustrating one!

Graham L
13-12-2007, 03:20 PM
Check the BIOS settings. ;) The default Human Interface Devices section may be telling Windows that there is a USB keyboard.

"legacy" is the word to look for. :cool:

keyboard
13-12-2007, 03:40 PM
The default Human Interface Devices section may be telling Windows that there is a USB keyboard.
Just checked but there's no HID section. Just two KB entries:

*Boot up Numlock status - autorepeat rate & delay

Asus A7V333 MB, AwardBIOS
I've tried with the BIOS set to Plug & Play both on & off.

When I exit the Win2K setup disk I get thrown back to DOS and can run
Norton Commander from there. (Yep... I still miss DOS). ;-)

That means I can see and view files on the HD if that's any help?

keyboard
13-12-2007, 05:02 PM
My local IT man has never come across this problem before... any
suggestions would be welcome. Thanks.