PDA

View Full Version : HP OS not supplied with Warranty repair

Thebananamonkey
13-12-2007, 01:10 PM
Hi all.

My GF's laptop (an HP dv2000) recently had HDD failure. We took it back to where she bought it and had them repair it under warranty. They replaced the HDD, but didn't install Vista. The explanation given was that we hadn't supplied them with a recovery disc, and they didn't have any for that particular laptop.

I had assumed that warranty repair would mean that we would be given the computer in usable condition (eg: with OS installed) so I rang the repair company. They said that HP doesn't supply an OS disc with computer purchase, and that instead what they had was an app where I could make my own recovery disc. They also have a hidden partition with the same software. As the HDD failed this partition is useless, and I didn't create a recovery disc.

Now in order to restore it to factory settings I'm going to have to pay for HP to give me another disc. This doesn't really feel particularly legal to me. Does anyone have any ideas??? I could just install Vista from another cd and download drivers etc. but at the end of the day, I don't really think HP can morally do this.

Thanks (and sorry for the essay)

FoxyMX
13-12-2007, 01:29 PM
I could just install Vista from another cd and download drivers etc. but at the end of the day, I don't really think HP can morally do this.

I agree. What they have done is wrong and you should jump up and down about it (not literally, of course, but you know what I mean) and insist they put it back how it was when purchased.

Where was it bought from?

wainuitech
13-12-2007, 01:38 PM
I had to call HP on another matter for a customer of mine and while doing so asked regarding your question here - Here's the answer Direct from HP Service Center in Wellington - If the laptop was taken to a Authorised HP repair center, and had the Hard Drive replaced under warranty, you would have been given a HP Reference number.

The OS would have been reinstalled, even if you had not made the recovery DVD's as its HP's policy to return the laptop with a working OS, unless the customer says not to install one. A Authorised HP repair center has images available for all their products, and it would have been put back to factory standard from new.

Any data that was lost is up to the customer to replace from backups.

So if the repair place you took it to says they don't have a HP image - then they are prob not a Authorised HP repair center.

And theres the Key words a Authorised HP repair center.

If you do have the HP Reference Number, call the actual HP repair center, in your area with the number Here are the locations (http://welcome.hp.com/country/nz/en/contact/office_locs.html) tell them what has happened and they will "put it right'.

PS: Welcome to PressF1 :)

Thebananamonkey
14-12-2007, 09:44 AM
I just called HP on the number above... talked to India, as you do these days. The guy said that they could reimage the laptop and install the recovery partition, but that this wouldn't be done under warranty. This isn't really good enough though is it? I bought it from Harvey Normans and they had it repaired through a wellington company called connect. I talked to them and they said that they would have installed an operating system but they didn't have the discs for my model of laptop. So I'm going to install a commercial copy of vista and download the drivers, but I really don't think I should have to.

It seems they don't want to "put it right", is it standard practice not to issue an OS DVD with a new comp these days???

CYaBro
14-12-2007, 09:49 AM
It seems they don't want to "put it right", is it standard practice not to issue an OS DVD with a new comp these days???

Yup, if you buy one of the 'big brand' machines like HP/Compaq, Dell, Toshiba, Acer etc.
There will be some software on the machine that will prompt you to make your own recovery discs, usually each time you boot up until you have done it.

If you go to a good computer store, who custom build their own machines, you will usualy get an actual copy of the operating system disc.

Speedy Gonzales
14-12-2007, 09:53 AM
No most laptops and desktops have the recovery partition.

And a program that you're meant to use, to make the recovery CD/DVD.

Which is why they dont come with a cd or DVD.

I had a similar prob with a laptop I fixed.

I couldnt get in it because it was full of crap / malware.

It kept crashing, when I booted into XP.

In the end I had to connect the hdd, to this PC (it was a SATA hdd), and copy the ISO's from it to this hdd. Then burn the ISO's to cd with Nero.

Only diff was, the hdd that was on this laptop wasnt totally knackered.

wratterus
14-12-2007, 09:56 AM
I bought it from Harvey Normans and they had it repaired through a wellington company called connect.

They ought to be dealing with Visual Group for a start.... :groan:

berryb
14-12-2007, 10:00 AM
I don't see this as being your issue. You purchased from Harvey Norman and that is who you have a purchase agreement with. It is up to them to get the problem sorted out. What they do with it and who they send it to is not your problem. If they have sent it for repair to a none authorised HP agent then it's harvey Normans problem to sort.

If they quote that it was your job to create the backup, ask why you were not told of that when you purchased (I assume you weren't told- no one normally is) and that you have confirmation that a Authorised HP repairer will restore the OS as part of the repair/warranty.

If me I'd be jumping up and down at Harvey Norman.

Thebananamonkey
14-12-2007, 10:01 AM
I'm just annoyed. The DVD drive stopped writing about a month before the HDD crashed. I wasn't aware that it didn't come with an OS, and it wasn't me who ignored the recovery disc message. It just seems to me that if its that easy to create a recovery disc then why don't they just pack one in with the laptop? A dvd costs them like 20c, and costs me $5. Plus how many of your average users actually understand the significance of a recovery disc??? And how many people who do understand that expect to have the HDD crash???
The only reason I can think of for them not shipping the OS with the comp is to get money from people in my position. What was even worse was that the man on the phone wouldn't tell me how much it would cost. He said that I'd find out when they received the comp at the service centre... WTF??? How dumb is that?

Thebananamonkey
14-12-2007, 10:04 AM
I'm going to go in to harvey normans and point my fingers at them in the manner of a person with a gun... I'll be wearing a chuck norris-type face at the time. I'll see what I can do. Thanks everyone for being so helpful. I was reccomended to this site by a friend, and I really can't believe how useful it is!

Trev
14-12-2007, 11:29 AM
I'm going to go in to harvey normans and point my fingers at them in the manner of a person with a gun... I'll be wearing a chuck norris-type face at the time. I'll see what I can do. Thanks everyone for being so helpful. I was reccomended to this site by a friend, and I really can't believe how useful it is!

If I was you I wouldn't go in there with all guns blazing, as that well only get there backs up, and they well only make it harder for you to get the result you want if at all. Be diplomatic and polite about it and you well be amazed how quick the problem well be resolved.
:2cents: :)

wainuitech
14-12-2007, 11:54 AM
They ought to be dealing with Visual Group for a start.... :groan: 100% right . Visual Group are the Wellington Authorised HP repair center
Connect ARE NOT!! Theres the problem - Harvey Normans screwed up big time - it should have gone to Visual Group.

This is NOTHING to do with HP. If Harvey Normans knew what they were doing (which they DONT!!) then they would not have sent it to Connect.

Did you try calling the Wellington Office on Main phone: (04) 913-5800 and ask to speak to a support person ?
Had to bend the truth slightly yesterday :eek: I said I was speaking to you on the phone and was told what happened - not from a public forum - if I had have said it was from a forum like this they wouldn't have talked to me.

I'm going to go in to harvey normans and point my fingers at them in the manner of a person with a gun... You are within your rights to do that BUT as Trev said "Be diplomatic and polite about it and you well be amazed how quick the problem well be resolved."

I'd be asking why wasn't it sent to the HP Agents (Visual Group) who have every thing required , not some place thats NOT HP Authorised repair Center - Harvey Norman Screwed up - its up to them to fix it - at NO cost to you.

Thebananamonkey
14-12-2007, 12:04 PM
I'm not really the type of person to yell at people, so that's pretty much what I was going to do. I'll go in now (it's conveniently on my way to the car :) ) and see what I can get done. Thanks again everyone, this forum is fantastic!

Tony.br
14-12-2007, 12:06 PM
100% right . Visual Group are the Wellington Authorised HP repair center
Connect ARE NOT!! Theres the problem - Harvey Normans screwed up big time - it should have gone to Visual Group.

This is NOTHING to do with HP. If Harvey Normans knew what they were doing (which they DONT!!) then they would not have sent it to Connect.

Did you try calling the Wellington Office on Main phone: (04) 913-5800 and ask to speak to a support person ?
Had to bend the truth slightly yesterday :eek: I said I was speaking to you on the phone and was told what happened - not from a public forum - if I had have said it was from a forum like this they wouldn't have talked to me.
You are within your rights to do that BUT as Trev said "Be diplomatic and polite about it and you well be amazed how quick the problem well be resolved."

I'd be asking why wasn't it sent to the HP Agents (Visual Group) who have every thing required , not some place thats NOT HP Authorised repair Center - Harvey Norman Screwed up - its up to them to fix it - at NO cost to you.

I having been this route, so stand on your rights and quote the Consumer Guarantees Act.

As you were advised above, HN screwed up and they have to put it back as you got it AT THEIR cost. ie send it to Visual and have them reimage the drive.

Good Luck

Thebananamonkey
14-12-2007, 12:44 PM
I just went to HN and met a brick wall in the form of an incredibly grumpy sales assistant. She said that Connect are registered HP repair people, and that software isn't covered so I'd have to pay up to $100 to get recovery cds from HP. It's hot in WGTN today, and muggy, so I wasn't really in the mood to argue. I said thanks and left. What should I do? Connect don't have the CD's, HN aren't admitting it's their problem, and I'm not sure how I can get Visual to do it. I'm really coming to my wits end with this... Help??? I know that's what you've all been doing already, but they said OS isn't warranty issue.

kenj
14-12-2007, 12:56 PM
I just went to HN and met a brick wall in the form of an incredibly grumpy sales assistant. She said that Connect are registered HP repair people, and that software isn't covered so I'd have to pay up to $100 to get recovery cds from HP. It's hot in WGTN today, and muggy, so I wasn't really in the mood to argue. I said thanks and left. What should I do? Connect don't have the CD's, HN aren't admitting it's their problem, and I'm not sure how I can get Visual to do it. I'm really coming to my wits end with this... Help??? I know that's what you've all been doing already, but they said OS isn't warranty issue.

Go back and ask to speak to the HN Manager... do not take no for an answer!! Be terribly polite and say you are prepared to go to the disputes tribunal if necessary. If the job was done under warrantyit should be restored to the original condition as when purchased. Not your personal data of course. You should have that backed up.

I used to do Consumer work for the CAB here in Napier but I have been out of it for about 6 or 7 years. They will give you the bullets to use in regard to the wording of the CGA. All you have to do is go and see them.

Ken

I can't help this. Your name made me do it... "Remember, softly, softly, catchee monkey"

Thebananamonkey
14-12-2007, 12:57 PM
http://www.connectnz.co.nz/IT.asp

Actually, it looks like they ARE authorised HP.. sigh

kenj
14-12-2007, 01:00 PM
As a rider to my previous post.

Remember, the problem that the computer is not useable is not your problem

Harvey Norman have the responsibility to honour warranties as applicable under the CGA. By law, they cannot opt out of their responsibility.

Ken

Thebananamonkey
14-12-2007, 01:27 PM
I just called harvey norman and said that under the consumer guarantees act they were obliged to give me the product that I recieved. The guy said that because I (I mean my gf here) was prompted to create discs that I was liable for any damage that occurred to it. I think my gf was prompted, but she would have no clue what it meant and just dismissed it. Everyone I've talked to has been quite defensive about it... maybe I'm not being sweet enough about it... are they right?

wainuitech
14-12-2007, 01:28 PM
Stay tuned - on the phone to HP right now

Trev
14-12-2007, 01:31 PM
Didn't see wainuitechs post.
:)

wainuitech
14-12-2007, 01:38 PM
Yipppeeee - OK Just spoke to a guy at HP - They will contact Connect and sort this mess out - see what the hells going on.

Harvey Normans is WRONG!!

Thebananamonkey I Have sent you a PM - They require all your details - as this is a public forum DONT post them here. They asked for your name - Hmmm Awkward moment LOL.

PM me so I know the PM's are working and I will give you the guy to call and all the details HP requires from you.

Thebananamonkey
14-12-2007, 01:43 PM
You are beautiful wainui... I'm so relieved! That's a massive load off my shoulders! YAY!

Trev
14-12-2007, 02:06 PM
Please keep us posted as to the outcome.
Thanks

Thebananamonkey
14-12-2007, 02:10 PM
Just talked to them now, waiting to hear back. Will keep you posted. Thanks heaps

Tony.br
14-12-2007, 02:39 PM
http://www.connectnz.co.nz/IT.asp

Actually, it looks like they ARE authorised HP.. sigh

If they are authorised agents, they should have Image files that will restore the disk to its original condition.

And by the way, my daughter had an HP without CD's and she NEVER had a prompt to create recovery CD's so sometimes that part does not work. I had dealings with HP and it took a year (well out of G/Tee) before her problems were fully sorted. I stuck my ground and threatened to take them to the disputes tribunal before it was repaired.

Regardless. I can only repeat what others say. It is HN's responsibility to return it to you in the condition you received it. Demand to see the manager and threaten Commerce Commission, disputes tribunal etc. the Consumer web site has some stuff on it about the Consumer Guarantees act.

Thebananamonkey
14-12-2007, 04:46 PM
I did all that stuff, but in the end it took a phone call to HP from wainuitech to get it all done. He called the people in NZ (note: not India) about it, and they got results. I've just dropped it off at VisualGroup, the lady at HP said HN should have taken it there in the first place, and they are on to it now. I'm all smiles. Also I remembered a few other issues we had with it and got them to check them out too. So possibly might get a new laptop out of it! I'm so happy right now, and really it's all down to you guys. You saved me heaps of trouble, stress, and a fair bit of money. Thanks!

Thebananamonkey
14-12-2007, 04:48 PM
Oh, and I got a call from HN after HP talked to me asking me if I knew what I was doing now that someone else had sorted it out for them. No apology, no store credit. I want a wireless mouse, but I had no offer of that either ;). Anyway, thanks again.

Trev
14-12-2007, 06:30 PM
Thanks for keeping us informed. Glad it turned out alright in the end.

Speedy Gonzales
14-12-2007, 06:49 PM
have anybody played that massive star wars addon for freelancer called freeworlds you should if you have freelancer its ace

And whats this got to do with the topic?

Jen
14-12-2007, 06:53 PM
And whats this got to do with the topic?Ah, it was a random post the text of which was copied from another post in 2005 just so they can display their advertising in the signature area. Post & user was deleted. :p

Speedy Gonzales
14-12-2007, 06:55 PM
lol i thought i saw a sig, but then when I went back in. It had disappeared.

wainuitech
14-12-2007, 07:07 PM
Glad it has all worked out in the end.

Just remeber FIRST thing to do when the laptop is returned - MAKE A RECOVERY DVD :lol:

Make note: Dont shop at HN :(

JJJJJ
15-12-2007, 06:47 AM
IMO anyone who is stupid enough to buy a computer without an OS on a seperate disk deserves all the problems that arise.

Speedy Gonzales
15-12-2007, 06:57 AM
Well thats why the partition is there, and a program to make the cd/'s / dvd.

But thats not much help if noone knows its there.

And why waste money on something that youve already got?

Most people assume these systems come with a cd/dvd. But they dont.

R2x1
15-12-2007, 10:12 AM
It is apparent that H. N. are living up to their reputation. Even with the Xmas rush they can take the time to be awkward. It is good to see some consistency.

It would be impolite to say they are ignorant, grasping, incompetents, with less morals than marbles, so I will just think it instead.

Thebananamonkey
23-12-2007, 08:55 PM
This guy hit the nail on the head. And more importantly he can actually articulate it! What the hell are HP playing at???

http://www.gripe2ed.com/scoop/story/2006/2/7/0102/79140