PDA

View Full Version : Cursor flicker / Ethernet

allblack
13-12-2007, 11:12 AM
Gidday all.

Coupla questions:

1) The cursor on my desktop has started disappearing on me. Just disappears for a second, then comes back. Happens about every 30secs.

I initially thought it was this site, as it's slow to load anyway, but nope...happens everywhere now.

Except Outlook. So I'm assuming it's got something to do with the pages loading, and the amount of the data??

I've tried it on some aviation pic sites, as they are loaded with pics, and then tried it on Google who's page is mostly empty. Seems to happen the same regardless of what's on the page....which kindof blows my earlier assumption to the weeds! :o

I've run the usual suspects, but they didn't find any nasties.

So now I'm assuming it's my mouse? I don't have a spare to check...

Any ideas? New mouse time?

2) I bought from DSE a spare ethernet cable to go from my modem to my lappie (Tosh). However...when I connect the spare the connection doesn't work, and the Ethernet light on the modem doesn't glow.

BUT.....it works fine when I connect to a diff lappie? (Asus).

So.....???.....why does my spare cable work when connected to a lappie different to mine?

Thanks for any ideas guys. :D

allblack
13-12-2007, 11:14 AM
Aww....crap.

This was supposed to be in the other forum.....feel free to move Mods.

Speedy Gonzales
13-12-2007, 11:21 AM
The modem, I take it has ethernet ports on it??

Are the workgroup names the same ?

Is the modem a router as well?

FoxyMX
13-12-2007, 11:28 AM
1) The cursor on my desktop has started disappearing on me. Just disappears for a second, then comes back. Happens about every 30secs.

I initially thought it was this site, as it's slow to load anyway, but nope...happens everywhere now.

Except Outlook. So I'm assuming it's got something to do with the pages loading, and the amount of the data??

I've tried it on some aviation pic sites, as they are loaded with pics, and then tried it on Google who's page is mostly empty. Seems to happen the same regardless of what's on the page....which kindof blows my earlier assumption to the weeds! :o

Any ideas? New mouse time?

What sort of mouse is it? USB or the one with the round green plug? Have you tried the mouse on the laptop to see if it does the same? Make sure both PCs are off before unplugging and plugging if it is the ground green plug type.

2) I bought from DSE a spare ethernet cable to go from my modem to my lappie (Tosh). However...when I connect the spare the connection doesn't work, and the Ethernet light on the modem doesn't glow.

BUT.....it works fine when I connect to a diff lappie? (Asus).

So.....???.....why does my spare cable work when connected to a lappie different to mine?

Ethernet cable and modem? Have you ditched dialup and are now on broadband?

allblack
13-12-2007, 11:41 AM
The modem, I take it has ethernet ports on it??

Are the workgroup names the same ?

Is the modem a router as well?

Ummm...yup. I assume the blue cable that came with the Telecom pack is called an Ethernet cable?

Workgroup names?? ...pass :(

Router? Ummm..."D-Link ADSL2+Router".....guess so! :p

allblack
13-12-2007, 11:45 AM
What sort of mouse is it? USB or the one with the round green plug? Have you tried the mouse on the laptop to see if it does the same? Make sure both PCs are off before unplugging and plugging if it is the ground green plug type.

Ethernet cable and modem? Have you ditched dialup and are now on broadband?

Hey Foxster.

Round green plug.

Try the mouse on the lappie....hmmmm.....always rely on a woman to come up with summat sensible! :lol: Maybe I should try that aye....

Yup....broadband now. Worked out to an xtra (pardon the pun) $18 a month....seemed crazy not too.

Speedy Gonzales
13-12-2007, 11:48 AM
That blue cable is meant to go from the NIC on the case / on a laptop, to a port on the router.

And another cable from another port to whatever. (If you've got other PC's).

Is this laptop connected directly to the router as above (Is it the only computer connected to it)??

It sounds like it is.

Whats the model of the router?? DSL-604T Gen II?

Have you configured the router, and added your ISP's login / pw in it?

allblack
13-12-2007, 11:57 AM
That blue cable is meant to go from the NIC on the case / on a laptop, to a port on the router.

And another cable from another port to whatever. (If you've got other PC's).

Is this laptop connected directly to the router as above (Is it the only computer connected to it)??

It sounds like it is.

Whats the model of the router?? DSL-604T Gen II?

:stare:

Ummm....I've tried connecting the spare cable to the Tosh lappie in exactly the same way that it was connected to the Asus lappie....same ports. (Got the pic of 3 boxes above it...which I'm told is the port for Ethernet cable).

Yes....it's connected directly to the Router.

DSL-502T.

I don't see how it can be to do with the Router, coz the spare works fine with the Asus....I'm assuming (yeah, yeah, I know!) there's something in the Tosh that doesn't like the spare cable, that the Asus does like. The only diff is the Tosh is running XP, and the Asus Vista....

allblack
13-12-2007, 11:58 AM
Have you configured the router, and added your ISP's login / pw in it?

This was all done via the desktop when I set the BB up.

FoxyMX
13-12-2007, 11:59 AM
What kind of cable does it say on the box? Straight-through or crossover?

allblack
13-12-2007, 12:01 PM
What kind of cable does it say on the box? Straight-through or crossover?

Box? Box?????

LOL.

Ya know us males Foxy.....the box goes the same way as the instructions! We don't read 'em so why keep 'em! :D

FoxyMX
13-12-2007, 12:14 PM
:rolleyes: :p

OK, I suppose you threw out the receipt as well? It should have the product number on it which we can look up. ;)

I'm wondering whether you got the wrong sort which Vista isn't bothered about but XP is. Can someone else confirm whether that may be the case?

allblack
13-12-2007, 12:20 PM
:rolleyes: :p

OK, I suppose you threw out the receipt as well? It should have the product number on it which we can look up. ;)

I'm wondering whether you got the wrong sort which Vista isn't bothered about but XP is. Can someone else confirm whether that may be the case?

Ummm..yeah :o

Heaps of writing down the side of the cable though....Belkin Patch Cable #R7J704 UTP 4PR 24AWG Type CM/UL etc etc....

FoxyMX
13-12-2007, 12:39 PM
Sounds like it is straight-through then which should be OK.

Are you sure you pushed the ends of the plug in hard enough until they clicked? If the light didn't come on it tells me the connection isn't good. Try another port on the modem.

If you have then I'm out of ideas and give up. :(

allblack
13-12-2007, 12:42 PM
Sounds like it is straight-through then which should be OK.

Are you sure you pushed the ends of the plug in hard enough until they clicked? If the light didn't come on it tells me the connection isn't good. Try another port on the modem.

If you have then I'm out of ideas and give up. :(

Yeah...but will try again later.

The problem is so illogical, I've already come to the conclusion that it's "operator error". There can't be a good reason why it'll connect one lappie but not the other.

allblack
13-12-2007, 08:26 PM

Problem found.

Opera.

Started happening on my lappie, with a different (cordless) mouse....even tried a couple of mousepads....so the only common denominator is Opera.

Been using IE7 for the last hour, and problem hasn't happened once.

So, now I know what. Just no idea why. And I'd rather use Opera than IE.

FoxyMX
14-12-2007, 11:32 AM
There are one or two others on the Opera forums with the same problem with no solution suggested.

Try clearing out the cache (Tools>Delete Private Data>Details>tick everything except Wand passwords).

Also ensure you have the latest Adobe Flashplayer and Java.

allblack
14-12-2007, 11:37 AM
There are one or two others on the Opera forums with the same problem with no solution suggested.

Try clearing out the cache (Tools>Delete Private Data>Details>tick everything except Wand passwords).

Also ensure you have the latest Adobe Flashplayer and Java.

Thanks Foxster.....didn't know that existed!

Will start looking for Flash and Java now.