PDA

View Full Version : Blue Screening - RAM Problem?

Jimmy D
12-12-2007, 02:32 PM
Hi all,
I have a friends computer:
Dual Core AMD Athlon 2.2Ghz
Two sticks of 1GB Adata Ram DDR2-800
Motherboard has 4 RAM slots

He brought it to me because his computer was regularly blue screening, i assumed it was the ram so i took one of the sticks out so see if it would blue screen, it didn't so i assumed the stick i pulled out was the faulty one, just to be sure i put the 'faulty' stick into a different similar spec machine and no blue screen...

After that i decided to run memtest from the ubuntu gutsy live cd with the two sticks in together and it came up with errors, I then ran memtest on each stick (only 1GB stick in at a time) and it came up with no errors! I was very confused so i put the two sticks of RAM back in together and it came up with errors again!

I'm now wondering if this not a problem with the RAM but with the motherboard, maybe something to do with dual channel? It is strange because the PC is only a few months old and it has just started happening, I was also considering a fresh install of XP?

I'm in the process of juggling both sticks around in different combinations of slots to see if it comes up with any errors that way.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Bantu
12-12-2007, 02:39 PM
It depends on the blue screen error. It can be as simple as a wrong or conflicting driver.

If it has WinXP or vista try booting into safe mode and check the drivers.

wratterus
12-12-2007, 02:39 PM
Sounds like it could be some wierd dual-channel issue, have you googled around for people with the same issue?

Are the sticks exactly matched?

I've seen issues like this before, and it did turn out to be the RAM. Each chip was sweet on it's own, but they wouldn't play together.

Jimmy D
12-12-2007, 02:48 PM
The blue screen hinted a memory problem - why would it be a driver conflict if it didn't happen with only one of the ram sticks?
yes the sticks are exactly matched
I've had a google around and found 1 or 2 same problems but no apparent solution. this issue that you've seen before wratterus? did two new sticks of ram solve the problem? or perhaps turning off dual channel in the BIOS? (will have a go at that when i get home)

wratterus
12-12-2007, 02:54 PM
I had a top of the line Gigabyte board, and 2x1GB Corsair DDDR2 800.

It would randomly crash with both sticks in, but was fine with one or the other. I didn't try turning off dual channel in the BIOS, I'm not sure if you can actually do that? You probably can.... I got 2 new sticks of RAM, and sold the others seperatley. The new sticks fixed the problem. It was kind of wierd, not logical at all.

illogical

Jimmy D
12-12-2007, 02:57 PM
hmm. I will probably replace the two sticks of RAM, they're still under warranty, but will try switching off dual channel first and see what happens (if there is the option (i think there is the option? lol))

Thanks