PDA

View Full Version : It has happened again!!!!

Ravage
12-12-2007, 12:29 AM
Howdy

Recently I posted about a mouse problem (http://pressf1.co.nz/showthread.php?t=85197&highlight=ravage).

After being unable to resolve it I formated the PC then reinstalled win98se, updates, programs and games.

The PC worked fine for a few days then inexplicably came up with the exact same problem!

The exact message that comes up is:

"Windows did not detect a mouse attached to the computer. You can safely attach a serial mouse now.

To attach a mouse to a PS/2 mouse port, you must first turn the computer off"

Oddly enough, the keyboard doesn't seem to work properly now either, I could press del during startup to get into the BIOS but couldn't use the arrow keys to move within the BIOS menu so I couldn't do anything.

Reformatting again would be tiresome, any more suggestions as to what to do? Do you think this is a hardware, software or OS problem?

cheers

Ravage

motorbyclist
12-12-2007, 01:10 AM
sounds like hardware

have you tested the keyboard/mouse on another machine? have you tried a different keyboard/mouse on this problematic machine?

wainuitech
12-12-2007, 08:54 AM
Reformatting again would be tiresome, any more suggestions as to what to do? Do you think this is a hardware, software or OS problem?Try the PC on a Live CD, something like Knoppix (http://www.knoppix.com/) or Ubuntu if you have the PCWorld Mag, there is a ISO image on the last few issues I think. Boot the PC from the Live CD - that detects and runs all hardware - it ignores the Windows OS - if every thing runs OK from the Live CD its more than Likely Software - if the Keyboard / mouse plays up on the CD - Its looking like HArdware - possibly a Motherboard. ( Now KB & Mouse)

Ravage
12-12-2007, 10:41 AM
Howdy

The mouse and keyboard were fine on another computer, Other mice and keyboard had same problem.

I'll try the live CD option but it won't be until the weekend when I see my friend.

(I hope it isn't the mobo, the only spare I have runs an Intel CPU at 333 MHz, quite a downgrade)

cheers

Ravage

sarel
12-12-2007, 11:50 AM
When I ran WinSE a few years ago I had the same problem. Solved it by getting a serial (?) plug (the older style ports, similar to the screen port) for it - if your PC has the port for it. I can't tell you why, but it worked for me.

sarel

Ravage
12-12-2007, 11:46 PM
Howdy

Well I borrowed a serial mouse, when I visit my friend in the weekend we shall see if either solution works

cheers

Ravage

wainuitech
13-12-2007, 07:30 AM
Running serial is fine - but since the keyboard and mouse is playing up, if its hardware then its possible the PS2 ports are failing. If it works OK in PS2 with a live CD then its more than likely software.

While you can get serial mice - keyboards ??? it may only be a temp fix, if its discovered the hardware is failing it WILL fail completely sooner or later - usually sooner.

pctek
13-12-2007, 07:59 AM
Running serial is fine - but since the keyboard and mouse is playing up, if its hardware then its possible the PS2 ports are failing. .

Just what I was going to say - which means the motherboard.

What you could do until the motherboard dies completely is use one of those PS2 to USB adapter things. Trademe have some last time I looked. Its a cable with USB at one end and 2 PS2 ports at the other, a y shaped thing.

Works brilliantly, got one for someone with the same issue.

sarel
13-12-2007, 09:00 AM
Well I don't know whether it was my Mobo or not in the old days - all I know is that I got the info from this forum, changed it to PS2 (?) and until the day the Mobo got fried never had a problem again. Worth a try at least.

sarel

Ravage
13-12-2007, 09:05 AM
Howdy

He has one of those cables, but when I tried it nothing happened, the error was still there.

If the serial mouse or live cd works then I will try the adapter again (but I hear win98se USB drivers are not so hot)

cheers

Ravage

Agent_24
13-12-2007, 02:30 PM
I believe it's certain versions of win95 that have bad or nonexistant USb support

USB is fine in win98SE

I would be thinking hardware problem if PS/2 was dead, but if serial and USB don't work either that is really strange, I doubt all 3 would fail the same way, at the same time...

apsattv
13-12-2007, 10:19 PM
It sounds like a driver is clashing?
try Force ESCD in bios to reset?

Ravage
13-12-2007, 10:29 PM
I'll certainly try that if I can get the arrows on the keyboard to work ;)
or do you mean removing the battery to reset???

cheers

Ravage

Agent_24
13-12-2007, 11:33 PM
That might help too, but removing the battery doesn't always clear the ESCD, you would have to manually do it.

Either called "Load BIOS defaults" on the main menu (not to be confused with "Load Setup defaults" which defaults your options, and is what is cleared when remove the battery), or "clear ESCD/DMI" in a submenu (maybe even "clear NVRAM")

JJJJJ
14-12-2007, 05:03 AM
I get the same problem as you quite often. The solution is to reboot the computer.
In my case the source of the problem is: (don't laugh) Little finger resting lightly on right mouse button. Or a finger resting on one of the keys

Ravage
15-12-2007, 10:39 PM
Success ;)

All it took was a proper serial mouse, a few drivers and the win98se disc

Booting up with only the serial mouse got rid of the error message. I could then install some USB HID drivers and plugged the PS/2 mouse and keyboard into the USB to 2xPS/2 adapter.

The keyboard and mouse were detected, installation was relatively smooth and everything is working fine. Even got an optical USB mouse to work ;)

It would seem the the PS/2 ports on the motherboard are dead, nothing works in them, not even when using a live cd.

Also, is is possible for the dead ports to take out whatever was plugged into them? It was a wireless mouse/keyboard combo (2 x PS/2 plugs attached to a wireless receiver) connected when the incident occurred. The keyboard works fine but now the mouse doesn't, even when connected to another computer.

thanks for all the suggestions

Ravage

zqwerty
15-12-2007, 10:52 PM
You could have saved yourself a lot of time and trouble if you had done what I said way back here:

http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/showpost.php?p=620233&postcount=7

Ravage
16-12-2007, 12:26 AM
true

but at the time I did not have access to a serial mouse ;)

never owned one

Ravage

linw
16-12-2007, 07:31 AM
Some of the earlier mobos had a fuse on the PS2 port, too. Had too much experience with one such mobo in several classrooms where the fuse would blow if the mouse was removed with the power on!