PDA

View Full Version : Is the USB port high speed?

Morpheus1
11-12-2007, 07:22 AM
Several days ago I connected a new Seagate 250 Gb FreeAgent external hard drive via USB. I plugged the USB cable into the back of my pc, not wanting to use a 4 port hub as I thought it may slow the hd down.

Today for the first time a small message appeared from the USB icon in the system tray, informing me that the external hd would operate faster if it was connected to a high speed port. I clicked on the message for more info and got this:
http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/USB_Port_Hi_Speed.jpg

:stare: I always thought that all USB ports on my pc were 2.0
Transfer rates have been OK with flash memory - but mostly I use the front USB port, not the rear ones. The rear ports would be directly off the mb and would be more likely to be faster, right?

Specs:
Win XP Home SP2, ASUS P4P800 mb, P4 3.0 GHz, 3 yrs old and still going strong.

The external HD is slow but from what I have read here on PF1, that is to be expected. Since I use it for backup I don't mind the slowness but if the transfer rate can be increased it would feel better. ;)

How do I check that the USB port connecting the external hd is 2.0 and functioning properly? The ASUS mb is supposed to have usb 2.0

Speedy Gonzales
11-12-2007, 07:33 AM
Delete the entries under the USB controllers in device manager. Then reboot

If SP2 was installed recently.

Or USB is on the wrong option in the BIOS.

I think there's 2 options in the BIOS, one's for 1.1 speed the other is for USB 2.

I would check this as well.

lovemedo
11-12-2007, 09:11 AM
Personally, I would not perfer the front ones as they are sometimes provided insufficient power usually, so the performance would be in sloppy as well.

Rear ports however are not always all in good. The best ones are always those that directly provided by the motherboard, but not those expanded ones.

Speedy Gonzales
11-12-2007, 09:14 AM
Nothing wrong with front ports, theyre still getting power from the mobo.

And if you built the system yourself, hopefully you connected them properly.

bevy121
11-12-2007, 01:18 PM
@ lovemedo
Some comps do have only 1.2 usb on the front and 2.0 on the back - but it's nothing to do with power supply

To check for usb 2.0, open device manager and expand the "Universal Serial Bus controllers" entry
It may or may not have reference to "usb 2.0" , but if it is 2.0 it will have the word "Enhanced"
If it's not 2.0 it wont :)

Morpheus1
11-12-2007, 01:59 PM
Speedy, I did as you said. Interesting to watch all the 'new hardware' being recognized and then all the drivers installed automatically.

Bevy, here is a screenshot of the expanded tree:
http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/USB_2_enhanced.jpg
....does this mean there is only one out of five that is 2.0, with four being slow usb connections?

BTW, I don't know what USB mass storage is (external hd?), and dunno what 'unknown device' (nothing connected such as flash memory).

Speedy Gonzales
11-12-2007, 02:05 PM
Mass storage could be an Ipod, a printer with card slots, a USB key / flash drive.

Delete unknown device, and reboot. See if it changes to something.

No that should be fine that 1 enhanced entry.

Mine shows the same thing (1 enhanced entry). And what I've plugged in so far, hasn't shown that message you were getting.

Morpheus1
13-12-2007, 06:44 AM
All OK now. Thanks guys.

The "unknown device" was the scanner. After installing SP2 it did not work so I eventually unplugged the USB and power cord, reconnected, "new hardware found", and it works.

Not sure about the speed of the external hd but could be faster now.

pctek
13-12-2007, 08:05 AM
You should have an entry that says:
Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller

1.1USB rather than 2.0 is usually if you don't have SP1 or SP2 installed.

Occasionally I have seen a PC give that error (With the proepr drivers) for no reason - in that case, I've disconnected all USB devices and rebooted and it sorts itself out.