PDA

View Full Version : Wiping Disks clean

Poppa John
09-12-2007, 01:49 PM
Hi All.
A simple question really.

I have some CD & DVD RWs that I want to wipe clean for reuse. How do I do this please.

Also. is it possible to do the same with an ordinary CD R & DVD R Disc?

Thanks PJ.

Speedy Gonzales
09-12-2007, 01:52 PM
No CDR's and DVDr's can only be written to once. You cant format them, and reuse them.

You can only format RW's, and reuse them.

Something like Nero should be able to format RW's.

If you right mouse on a RW in my computer (not an R), it'll give you the option to format.

Poppa John
09-12-2007, 07:37 PM
Speedy.
In front of me I have :-
1 x Imation DVD+RW
1 x Mitsubishi CD-RW

I have tried what you suggested & It wont work for me. What am I doing wrong? PJ

Speedy Gonzales
09-12-2007, 07:46 PM
Does it give you the erase cdrw option, when u right mouse?

Or wont it format?

It may not format a DVD, since the original imapi file only supported cd, not dvd.

I take it, you're using XP SP2?

If you are install this (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=b5f726f1-4ace-455d-bad7-abc4dd2f147b&DisplayLang=en)

Dont know if this will let you format a DVD, it may just let you burn to DVD.

Jen
09-12-2007, 08:05 PM
What CD/DVD burning program are you using?

Poppa John
09-12-2007, 08:07 PM
Speedy....The CD starts to format & then stops with, "Error on disk, Check for scratches etc, Disk damaged or not compatible." PJ

Speedy Gonzales
09-12-2007, 08:19 PM
What CD/DVD burning program are you using?

I think he's trying to use XP's built in cd burning.

The cd's maybe faulty then. I would try something else like Nero, if its installed.

Bantu
09-12-2007, 08:19 PM
RW CD's and DVD's you don't FORMAT them as such you erase them.

In Nero if your using that, run Nero smartstart, on the right side (depending on your version) see Extras. In the list of Extras you have an "Erase CD" or "Erase" DVD" depending on which DISC Setting you have above, use that.

If you get errors then probably get a new *-RW

Poppa John
09-12-2007, 08:36 PM
OK All.
I have been using built in XP & Nero.

The CD shows empty but will not erase/format or write to. So that is going in File 13.

Since downloading what speedy said , I have erased the DVD & will try & "Fill" it.

To keep the DVD "Open" so that I can keep adding stuff, do I use the "Multisomething" option ? PJ

Sweep
09-12-2007, 08:44 PM
OK All.
I have been using built in XP & Nero.

The CD shows empty but will not erase/format or write to. So that is going in File 13.

Since downloading what speedy said , I have erased the DVD & will try & "Fill" it.

To keep the DVD "Open" so that I can keep adding stuff, do I use the "Multisomething" option ? PJ

Multi session yes.

But if you wish to take the resultant DVD and play it on another DVD drive then you have to close the session.

At this time I am not sure if it is a DVD or CD

Poppa John
09-12-2007, 08:52 PM
Sweep...OK thanks.

All...I think I have got the hang of it now. Thanks for all your help. PJ :thumbs: