PDA

View Full Version : New SATA DVD-RW causes boot error in Vista

aonghas
07-12-2007, 09:55 PM
Hi everyone,

I am running Windows Vista x64 on my computer and it has worked fine for ages. My motherboard is the Asus P5K-E/Wifi and my boot hard drive is a SATA 320GB. I upgraded my DVD-RW IDE drive to a newer DVD-RW SATA drive today, by just unplugging the IDE one and plugging in the SATA one. However, now when I boot my computer, it comes up with the message

Reboot and select proper boot device or put media in the boot device and press any key

I don't know how to fix this problem now, I am able to get into BIOS and all looks okay there. Even when I switch back to my old DVD writer it still has this message.

Can anyone suggest anything that may be the reason why I am receiving this message?

Cheers
aonghas

wainuitech
07-12-2007, 10:13 PM
You can try putting the Vista DVD in the optical drive (either one), boot from it and select the " fix my computer " option, that may help.

One reason could be that its Possibly done some sort of damage to the drivers.

memphis
07-12-2007, 10:42 PM
I had the same problem when I got a sata dvd-rw drive as well and I have xp pro.

The way I solved it was to make sure it is not using a silicon image serial ata raid connection usually a different colour sata connection to the rest of the majority of the sata connections on the motherboard. :thumbs:

(My normal sata x 4 is cloured purple,and the silicon image serial ata raid x 2 is coloured blue.)Your motherboard may have different colours for your sata connections then my motherboard.:thumbs:
Hope that helps.

EviLClouD
08-12-2007, 08:16 AM
In the bios/setup (one of those) go to 'boot device priority list' or something along the lines of that, and make sure that your sata hard drive is on the list. Probably best to have it second on the list and make you sata dvd drive first on the list.

Hope this helps :)

Speedy Gonzales
08-12-2007, 08:22 AM
And why would you make the dvd the main bootdisk??

When there's nothing in it??

Bantu
08-12-2007, 08:33 AM
When you add other sata devices it seems to mess up the boot order. Well it does in mine even if I change a couple of cables over.

Set boot order in BIOS and you will be fine.

Speedy Gonzales
08-12-2007, 08:35 AM
True, but usually to a hdd or something that can boot.

EviLClouD
08-12-2007, 11:28 AM
Meh, I dunno... maybe so it's more convenient if you want to boot off a disc? Instead of having to tap a button or whatever. Because for me even if it's first on the list, nothing happens, it'll just skip the dvd drive if there's no disc inside and boot straight into my hard drive...

To the thread starter...You should probably set your hard disk drive as first, because it's probably got your dvd drive as first, but cannot find a disc to boot from. I dunno why mine doesn't do this though :S

wratterus
08-12-2007, 11:34 AM
I always have the DVD set as the 1st boot device....

Reset the BIOS.

Make sure your HDD is set as the primary in the BIOS HDD boot order list.

Bantu
08-12-2007, 01:57 PM
I have several HDD's plus a Floppy drive, CD-Rom and DVD Burner.

IF I change and HDD's or unplug an IDE or SATA drive for any reason (As I did when I had my PC in bits a few days ago) When I first start it I have to go back into BIOS and tell it the boot order, not necessarily of all drives but at least which one is the one with Windows on it.

After disconnecting mine just rearranges the drives with IDE anything coming first, then the SATA's.

I just point the BIOS to DVD 1st, SATA with Windows 2nd the rest is not important really.

aonghas
08-12-2007, 07:29 PM
Wow,
Thanks everyone for your replies. I ended up just putting in the Vista DVD and clicking repair. Worked a charm.