PDA

View Full Version : Instaling a modem

ptopz
06-12-2007, 07:33 PM
Hi.

I am trying to get an old p500 laptop to work with my adsl modem, whch works fine with the pc. Both are running WIN 2k, but for some reason the drivers seem to need to be different. Any ideas?

The modem is a dlink dsl 302g.

The laptop has no ethernet port so I am trying to get it to run via the USB port.

Cheers

Speedy Gonzales
06-12-2007, 07:50 PM
I would have a look here (http://www.dlink.co.nz/tech/)

Select DSL on the left and 302G on the right. Then click on Go.

Are you in NZ / Oz?

Did u get your modem from Xtra, Optus, AAPT, or did u buy it?

ptopz
06-12-2007, 08:07 PM
Thanks for that. Trouble is, the web page talks about the computer not recognising the modem.Control panel/device manager etc recognises it and shows it as installed, but with an exclamation mark and an error message saying windows cannot load the drivers (error 31). No amount of uninstalling and reinstalling gets me anywhere.

Speedy Gonzales
06-12-2007, 08:23 PM
Did you do this ??

USB connection - Driver Print

If you are connecting the modem to your computer using USB port, you need to make sure that the driver for the modem is installed correctly.

If you have plugged the modem before installing the software and running the setup wizard, you will need to uninstall the modem and start the installation from the beginning:

Step 1. Uninstall the modem.

To uninstall the modem: leave it connected via USB to your computer.
Go to Control Panel > System > [Hardware] > Device Manager.
You will see a list of categories and devices installed and connected to your computer.

If the modem was installed correctly it should come up under Network Adapters category.

If your modem was not installed with correct driver Windows will display it as 'Unknown Device' or 'Other Device' or 'Unknown USB Device'. You can identify incorrectly installed devices by Question Mark or Exclamation Point next to the device.

Right-click on such device and select Remove[Uninstall].
Close Device Manager.

Go to Add/Remove Programs and uninstall the program related to the modem.

Unplug the modem from your computer.

Step 2. Install the drivers.

Restart computer. Do not connect the modem to your computer yet.
Run installation program first. Use the CD which came with the modem or download the latest driver from http://www.dlink.com.au/tech/
You may be asked to reboot PC again. After the software installation finished you can plug the modem in and Windows should detect it automatically.

If modem is not detected at all - try to use a different USB port on your computer. Or try the modem on a differnt PC.

ptopz
06-12-2007, 08:48 PM
Thanks again. Did all that.
The error message is:

Completing the found new hardware wizard.

DSL 302g Modem
An error occurred during the installation of the device.
The INF or the device information set or element does not match the specified install class.

HELP!

Speedy Gonzales
06-12-2007, 09:00 PM
Follow this (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306983)

Do EXACTLY what it says, as it involves editing the registry.

I think you follow what it says under On a portable computer ONLY.

As below.

On a Portable Computer

1. Start Registry Editor (Regedt32.exe).

2. Locate the following key in the registry:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\M f\PCMCIA

3. Delete all of the folders that are in the PCMCIA folder. If an error message states that you do not have permission to delete, for each folder that you need to delete, click the folder, and then, on the Security menu, click Permissions. Give Everyone full control.

4. Locate the following key in the registry, and then delete all folders that are under the key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\P CMCIA

5. Quit Registry Editor, and then restart the computer.

6. Right-click My Computer, click Manage, and then click Device Manager.

7. Expand the Network Adapters folder, right-click the network adapter that is causing the error, and then click Properties.

8. Click the Driver tab, click Update Driver, and then reinstall the driver for the network adapter.

ptopz
06-12-2007, 09:12 PM
Bloody Hell! How do you find Hkey.......
There are 1000's of files in there..

Speedy Gonzales
06-12-2007, 09:39 PM
Yours should be similar to this (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/reg.jpg)

But this snapshot is from XP, not 2K

ptopz
06-12-2007, 09:47 PM
Thanks again.

Didn't work. This one ain't there:

M f\PCMCIA

The other one, without the MF, was.

Now what?

Speedy Gonzales
06-12-2007, 09:53 PM
Do this

Delete all of the folders that are in the PCMCIA folder. If an error message states that you do not have permission to delete, for each folder that you need to delete, click the folder, and then, on the Security menu, click Permissions. Give Everyone full control.

4. Locate the following key in the registry, and then delete all folders that are under the key:

This is what you found

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\P CMCIA <--

5. Quit Registry Editor, and then restart the computer.

6. Right-click My Computer, click Manage, and then click Device Manager.

7. Expand the Network Adapters folder, right-click the network adapter that is causing the error, and then click Properties.

8. Click the Driver tab, click Update Driver, and then reinstall the driver for the network adapter.

ptopz
06-12-2007, 10:16 PM
Thanks again, whoever you are. Where do I reinstall the drivers from? Which ones?

Speedy Gonzales
06-12-2007, 10:23 PM
Where are you?? NZ ?? Oz??

You'll have to go here (http://www.dlink.co.nz/tech/)

Select DSL , and 302G (or whatever the model is on the right, then GO).

Then depending on HOW or where you got this modem, you click on Optus, AAPT, Xtra supplied. Or downloads / downloads for Oz/Au downloads.

Did you buy this modem from a shop or did your ISP give it to you?

If you got it from your ISP select one of the above, or if you brought it, click on Downloads and either NZ or Au downloads.

Then select driver on the right

ptopz
06-12-2007, 10:32 PM
Thanks again, whoever you are. Where do I reinstall the drivers from? Which ones?

Speedy Gonzales
06-12-2007, 10:34 PM
I told you. Click on the here in my previous post

Or if youve got the drivers, point to the folder or cd theyre in/on.

And the drivers should install, once theyre installed. See if it works then.

You may have to reboot.

ptopz
06-12-2007, 10:45 PM
I'm in Auckland, NZ.
You are probably as sick of me as I am of this. I do all of that, but when I tell it to go to the folder in the desktop where I have unzipped the drivers to it says there aren't any there.

There are various setup files and zip files. What file extension should a driver file have?

Speedy Gonzales
06-12-2007, 10:49 PM
Is there an inf file, install.exe, or setup.exe, in the folder?

If there is (an install or setup.exe file), double click on the setup or install.exe file install the drivers FIRST.

Close the update drivers window.

If the modem is plugged in now, pull it out. Until the drivers have been installed.

If there's an inf file in that folder, load that instead (pull the modem out first).

Once the drivers have been installed (with the modem out), reboot. Then plug the modem back in.

ptopz
07-12-2007, 01:51 PM
Thanks mate. I have now done everything a 100 times, in every sequence, and I just get the same old.

Clearly the drivers dont like the PC.

I give up.

I will go and get an ethernet card for the laptop and do it that way.

You've been great. I really appreciate your help.

Speedy Gonzales
07-12-2007, 01:58 PM
No worries, USB isnt that reliable anyway