PDA

View Full Version : Laptop purchase dilemma

bcallan
05-12-2007, 04:28 PM
For someone with not a lot of money to spend on a replacement lappie, which is the better option? Going and buying a brand new cheapie at the bottom end of the market (such as an Asus F5R or its NEC equivalent) at around the $900 mark? Or spending the same sort of money or even a little less in the second hand market and getting what had been a highly-specced machine in its day? I'm looking at an HP NC6000 or the like - which seem to be in the $400 - $600 range. Sure, it is a bit slower, but has a nicer graphics card (well, the fact it has a dedicated one at all puts it ahead of the Asus) and physically, the case is better than that of the Asus.

Since I only want it to become a road warrier and watch movies/do some internet of an evening, why would I not go back to the older machine (apart from the obvious point of it being second-hand)?

timmy101
05-12-2007, 04:46 PM
I would personally have A new laptop built, but a second hand would be fine.
A second-hand laptop may not have the battery life of a new one, but buying a new battery may solve the problem

wainuitech
05-12-2007, 09:21 PM
Buying second hand is always risky - the laptop may have a fault in it that the previous owner just "forgot to mention" - you don't know the history of a second hand laptop, warranties if any are usually short 30 days or so.

Heres a classic example just today took a toshiba laptop back to a customer that they purchased second hand last week, paid around $600.00 I was told - within the week it started crashing - on inspection the HD drive is knackered, many failing sectors.
The Laptop was purchased from a well know dealer in Auckland of second hand PC equipment.
It has a 30 day warranty - OK sure the laptops HD after speaking to the said company, and me having to write a detailed letter stating what was done, will be replaced under warranty with a fresh install of XP Pro ( but thats all), but the customer still has to pay for my time to recover the data - postage and then once again my time to replace the data I had to recover - no back ups - they didn't think they had to with this "new second hand Laptop".

Tukapa
05-12-2007, 10:16 PM
What about something like this (http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/4756757700ac51362740c0a87f3306b7/Product/View/XC4141).

An extra bit of ram wouldn't cost much and you would be away.

Just my :2cents: