PDA

View Full Version : Okay, really sick of images not loading straight away

--Wolf--
05-12-2007, 06:25 AM
I've had this problem....for ever it seems like. Almost every page with media on it needs to either be refreshed/reloaded (usually more than once) for all the images to load, even tiny ones.

This is extremely annoying when browsing Google images or TradeMe gallery. Sometimes if you leave it loading long enough, some, or all, will eventually load, but other times nothing will happen.

I've tried browsing using a dial up connection and everything loads slow, but fine - no real big delays in images.

I use Firefox (latest), Fasterfox extension (does the same thing without this), Windows XP and am with Xnet for broadband. (and if it matters, Spyware Terminator, Zonealarm Pro, Kaspersky AV)

What is the problem and how do I fix it once and for all?

kjaada
05-12-2007, 06:33 AM
I think you may have to put up with it.It is just slow internet.It will get worse soon as school holidays start.It just took over a min for me to go from yr post to here.I did not refresh just to see how long it would be.International sites are the same depending on traffic at their end.

nerd
05-12-2007, 07:58 AM
if you have broadband why dont you use that?
also you could right click where the picture should be and click show picture

--Wolf--
05-12-2007, 01:28 PM
Uh, I don't think any of you understand my problem.

I AM using Broadband, and it's only images, not normal pages. Pages (such as posting etc) are quick as, and before I reformatted and changed ISP I never had this problem.

vinref
05-12-2007, 01:54 PM
I've had this problem....for ever it seems like. Almost every page with media on it needs to either be refreshed/reloaded (usually more than once) for all the images to load, even tiny ones.

This is extremely annoying when browsing Google images or TradeMe gallery. Sometimes if you leave it loading long enough, some, or all, will eventually load, but other times nothing will happen.

I've tried browsing using a dial up connection and everything loads slow, but fine - no real big delays in images.

I use Firefox (latest), Fasterfox extension (does the same thing without this), Windows XP and am with Xnet for broadband. (and if it matters, Spyware Terminator, Zonealarm Pro, Kaspersky AV)

What is the problem and how do I fix it once and for all?

Your ISP has oversold the ADSL subscriptions? All them gamers and P2Ps running on ADSL - very few would still be using dial-up I think. You can't do much about it, except alleviate it indirectly.

Also, a lot of embedded scripts are doing stuff in the background. Kill these as detailed below.

In FF, go to about:cache. Go to memory cache device. Have a look at the file sizes. Try blocking the ones that are large and obviously don't do much useful stuff - especially the ad servers. Also try blocking the javascripts that seem to come from ad servers as well. Ajax in Google is notoriously slow.

Oh, do you know how to block servers with XP? Do you use FasterFox?

kjaada
05-12-2007, 01:56 PM
Hey,would you like to send a bit of text and then send an image:
Images take yonks.

--Wolf--
05-12-2007, 02:05 PM
Ok, lemme try re-wording this.

On my BROADBAND, say 10 / 18 images will load almost in an instance (say on Google images) and the rest will either slowly load or not load at all.

On my DIAL UP connection (hey, it's free), they will all load without delay and without having to refresh, although slow.

I have fast internet, I know that and pages load extremely fast, and images that want to load do it fast too. It's almost as if it gets half way through loading images then decides to give up, and requires a refresh to get going again. Tho as soon as I refresh some or all will instantly display.

And we all know the websites (youtube etc) with user submitted comments and the little thumb symbol next to it if you want to rate their comment, well sometimes that little thumb will never load, and I'll have to refresh (sometimes more than once)

Will that still help after re-explaining (FOR THE THIRD TIME) vinref? (And as in my first post, I use Fasterfox)

vinref
05-12-2007, 02:13 PM
Ok, lemme try re-wording this.

On my BROADBAND, say 10 / 18 images will load almost in an instance (say on Google images) and the rest will either slowly load or not load at all.

On my DIAL UP connection (hey, it's free), they will all load without delay and without having to refresh, although slow.

I have fast internet, I know that and pages load extremely fast, and images that want to load do it fast too. It's almost as if it gets half way through loading images then decides to give up, and requires a refresh to get going again. Tho as soon as I refresh some or all will instantly display.

And we all know the websites (youtube etc) with user submitted comments and the little thumb symbol next to it if you want to rate their comment, well sometimes that little thumb will never load, and I'll have to refresh (sometimes more than once)

Will that still help after re-explaining (FOR THE THIRD TIME) vinref? (And as in my first post, I use Fasterfox)

NO. HAVE A LOOK IN THE CACHE TO SEE WHERE THOSE SLOW IMAGES ARE COMING FROM.

--Wolf--
05-12-2007, 02:13 PM
Ok, here is a screenshot AFTER TWO FREAKING MINUTES OF WAITING of a page on Trademe, half of the images have loaded, the rest would probably never load:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v464/wolfy187/Imageloadingprob.jpg

The next is after simply going back one page and then going forward to the same page again, notice it took less than a second to load everything?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v464/wolfy187/Afterrefresh.jpg

At first I refreshed it, but only one more image showed up, going back then forward seems to work better

vinref
05-12-2007, 02:15 PM
I load Trademe fine. It sounds like your ISP.

kjaada
05-12-2007, 02:17 PM
What size is yr Cache? Could be yr problem.

--Wolf--
05-12-2007, 02:18 PM
Memory cache device

Number of entries: 867
Maximum storage size: 65536 KiB
Storage in use: 31922 KiB
Inactive storage: 26055 KiB

List Cache Entries

-----------------------------

Disk cache device

Number of entries: 6789
Maximum storage size: 76800 KiB
Storage in use: 76724 KiB
Cache Directory: C:\Documents and Settings\Troy\Local Settings\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\jk7mcw29.default\Cac he

List Cache Entries

vinref
05-12-2007, 02:21 PM
Click on "List Cache Entries" for "Memory cache device". But since TradeMe loads perfectly well for me, I think it might be your ISP access.

Check to see if you are using the right DNS setting etc - the obvious stuff first.

--Wolf--
05-12-2007, 02:24 PM
Just thinking, could it be to do with interleaving? Because I know I requested that be off.

BIFF
05-12-2007, 02:56 PM
Are you using Xtra? I remember years ago they would run a transparent proxy which would always do this.

--Wolf--
05-12-2007, 03:01 PM
Read first post - Xnet

zqwerty
05-12-2007, 03:05 PM
This add-on will be of some help in the meantime, until you resolve the problem, right click the image that hasn't loaded and "show image":

http://showimage.mozdev.org/

--Wolf--
05-12-2007, 03:09 PM
To be honest, i'd rather hit refresh a few times or go back a page then forward rather than right clicking on half the pages images.

zqwerty
05-12-2007, 06:05 PM
Only right click on the ones you want to see.

BIFF
06-12-2007, 06:22 AM
Read first post - Xnet

Have you tried a different browser, eg IE?
Have you tried a different PC? Eg have a friend bring round their laptop.

If you do this you will have established if it's your PC, the ISP, or one of the many programs you are running.

--Wolf--
06-12-2007, 06:43 AM
Hmm, interesting, turns out it might indeed be Firefox. All the images seemed to load great on IE.

Maybe it's one of the extensions I'm running? I'll try removing them and see if that helps

EDIT: Turns out it seems to be FASTERFOX that is the problem. But I know I downloaded fasterfox ages ago to help prevent this problem. Oh well, time to get rid of it.

TGoddard
06-12-2007, 08:33 PM
Fasterfox might turn on some dangerous options such as HTTP pipelining. I'd disable or remove it.

nerd
07-12-2007, 01:15 PM
right click the image and click "show picture" thats what i do when my iomages dont load
hope it helps