PDA

View Full Version : Email word documents with Outlook 2007

chiefnz
01-12-2007, 03:34 PM
Ok here's the problem...

In Word 2003 you can send a copy of a document using MS Outlook 2003. By this I mean when using this option the document is actually the email message and not an attachment.

At work I am responsible for sending out IT Outage notifications which worked great using Office 2003, because I could just modify the original Word document and then send it. When the user opens the email they see the notification... which is colour coded, RED for URGENT, GREEN for INFO ONLY and AMBER for IMPORTANT notices.

Problem is that we've now upgraded to Office 2007 Pro Plus and I have lost the functionality... Outlook 2007 only has the option to send the document as an attachment...

Looking at the MS site now.... but if anyone knows how to do this I would really appreciate it.

Cheers

CYaBro
01-12-2007, 03:48 PM
Found this (http://www.howto-outlook.com/howto/senddocasmail.htm) but haven't tried it myself yet.

Speedy Gonzales
01-12-2007, 03:53 PM
I just tried it in Outlook 2007, and attached a text file to myself.

When I click on new (message is selected in the menu), it comes up with permissions, high importance and low importance.

2nd from the right Is this what youre talking about??

Then I clicked on send/receive got the email with the attachment with the ! in it.

I noticed after I receive the email, in the menu its got categorize, with
4 squares (red/yellow/green/blue). If u click on this, you've got the option of selecting blue/red/green/orange/purple/yellow.

Is that what youre after??

chiefnz
01-12-2007, 04:38 PM
Thanks guys,

Cyabro - will have a look at this I think that may be what I want.

Speedy - No that's not what I was looking for. I have designed my own custom notifications - I want these as part of the email message body. Office 2003 does it nicely by clicking on File>>>Send To>>>Mail Recipient. The document is then the actual email message all you have to do is type in a subject line, Intro (if you wish) and select the recipients.

Cheers

chiefnz
01-12-2007, 05:10 PM
Just tried that macro and it didn't work... more googling then!!!

Speedy Gonzales
01-12-2007, 06:34 PM
Think I found what you want

From here (http://help.lockergnome.com/office/Word-2007-doc-attachment-ftopict987063.html)

Right-click the Quick Access Toolbar and choose Customize...

Set Choose commands from: to All Commands.

In the list of commands, scroll down to "Send to Mail Recipient".

Click on Send to Mail Recipient, then click Add.

Click OK at the bottom.

Now you can use that tool to toggle on/off email headers for sending the current window's contents as an email.

Just tried it, it opens a window with a email header and the text you typed in the body (not as an attachment).

Once u do the above, it'll stay on the Quick Access Toolbar.

So next time u use it type your email etc, click the icon and voila, the above comes up again. Put the recipients emails in and send.

CYaBro
01-12-2007, 06:58 PM
Well done Speedy!

Following those instructions seems to work fine! No need for that macro at all.

Speedy Gonzales
01-12-2007, 07:02 PM
Ta M8 :)

Just had to find the right words to put in Google lol

Speedy Gonzales
01-12-2007, 07:22 PM
And I just found out, IF Outlook isnt the default email client (I think this was the prob).

When u click on send a copy, it'll crash.

If this happens, make Outlook the default email client.

And if you get an interface not registered error, (when you go to send the email from within Word), like I just did go to start/run (close Outlook), and type:

Regsvr32.exe %Windir%\System32\Ole32.dll

That'll fix it

Speedy Gonzales
01-12-2007, 07:54 PM
And for those who have Windows 2000 + and Outlook 2000 and higher (SP's need to be installed). And .Net framework 2 HAS to be installed.

Here's a nifty little program (and small) I came across (http://www.michaelscrivo.com/projects/outlookdesktop/)

Its free, and puts the Outlook info on the desktop (without opening Outlook).

It lets you view contacts, calendar,tasks, notes, and the inbox.

By right mouse on the taskbar.

It'll also let u add contacts/notes (click on the side, where there's nothing, and right mouse)

If it crashes (like it did with me lol in the previous version, re-registering that dll in the previous post MAY fix it).

chiefnz
02-12-2007, 12:08 AM
Yep I found that... funny I'm sure I posted that about 20 minutes after finding out the macro didn't work.... I must be stressed....

Thanks again guys