PDA

View Full Version : Copying and Pasting over 100,000 Items

Pourhommenz
26-11-2007, 09:00 PM
Hey -

I'm wondering what easy way there is to do this:

I have a report that has been generated and want to export it to Excel (and the website doesn't have this funtionallity). It would have well over 100,00 entries - each of which having 11 columns of numbers / data. I try to select it all but the computer says NO and doesn't like it one bit - so I haven't even tried copy and pasting it yet.

I'm not running a slow machine by any means, but how can I get this data out of this site? Any ideas?

Thanks in advance guys, ur the best! lol

Pourhommenz
26-11-2007, 09:01 PM
Oh - and if I try and go to "Save As" and select Complete webpage - it says it can not be saved

Speedy Gonzales
26-11-2007, 09:01 PM
Well if it says no, then you cant.

The site maybe protected against copying from it.

Pourhommenz
26-11-2007, 09:04 PM
Oh no, its nothing like that - I can reduce the search range and it will copy 1000 or even up to 10,000 fine but the whole thing crashes the IE basically - I was hoping this wouldn't be the case but am I going to have to do multiple searches and only copy that information?

wainuitech
26-11-2007, 09:05 PM
Try looking in the Temp Internet files, it may have downloaded it to there.

Pourhommenz
26-11-2007, 09:11 PM
Highly doubt that. I managed to select / copy everything but in Excel, when I try to paste it, it jsut keeps saying "excel is waiting for another applicating to finish with the OLE something something"

Sweep
26-11-2007, 09:26 PM
Oh no, its nothing like that - I can reduce the search range and it will copy 1000 or even up to 10,000 fine but the whole thing crashes the IE basically - I was hoping this wouldn't be the case but am I going to have to do multiple searches and only copy that information?

May I ask which site?

And do not copy whole site or page! And I may say that you should not copy using another persons work. Do your own work!

Do your research. Try not to get others to do it for you.

Why do you need over 100,000 items?

Pourhommenz
26-11-2007, 10:13 PM
It has nothing to do with copying anyone elses work. Is it sales information from my work and I am wanting to collaberate it into a excel document for my own tracking - I put in a date range and it spits out the information if you must know ...

And I'm not copying the WHOLE SITE - I am only selecting the information it is giving me

Sweep
26-11-2007, 10:45 PM
It has nothing to do with copying anyone elses work. Is it sales information from my work and I am wanting to collaberate it into a excel document for my own tracking - I put in a date range and it spits out the information if you must know ...

And I'm not copying the WHOLE SITE - I am only selecting the information it is giving me

Well if you are the Account manager (possibly) then one would think you should not have to copy and paste from a web site.

I want to know only so I and others can help.

You did not fully answer my post so therefore at this time I would refrain from giving a full opinion/answer.

Sorry about that. Please note that I went and had a look at some of your other posts.

hkeyzer
27-11-2007, 08:32 AM
When you do your copy / paste - it maybe trying to copy / paste the full HTML of the page.

Try "paste special" and use "text" or "unformatted text" option, depending upon which is available. You may then need to use text to "text to column" function.

Pourhommenz
27-11-2007, 08:39 AM
The problem is I think when it is trying to select / copy the infromation from the site.

The is a graphics (image) radio button to print each sale, so it looks like this

xxx xxx xxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxx xxxxxxxxxxxxx xxx (PRINT)

I can't actually tell if it is copying the information or not. I guess I'm just going to have to reduce down the scoop it is looking through and copy it multiple times.

wainuitech
27-11-2007, 09:07 AM
Try this - Use Firefox - go to a blank part of the page, Right click it - Select " View Page Info" > in the Media Tab will be the Whole web page, graphics text the lot. locate the chart (if its there) that you want from the List, select it> click "save As" button and hopefully if will save it to your PC.

SolMiester
27-11-2007, 09:52 AM
Can you print to a file like .csv or an image writer?

Greg
27-11-2007, 11:24 AM
Pourhommenz - are you trying to create a spam list? :eek:

bevy121
27-11-2007, 12:16 PM
I don't understand why someone that wanted "sales information from my work" is trying to copy it from the data printed on a webpage instead of extracting it to a file from the database that it came from?

Sweep
27-11-2007, 03:19 PM
I don't understand why someone that wanted "sales information from my work" is trying to copy it from the data printed on a webpage instead of extracting it to a file from the database that it came from?

My thought as well.

motorbyclist
27-11-2007, 08:30 PM

My thought as well.

same here;

just get the database emailed to you if you don't have direct access to it

LiquidSolidity
27-11-2007, 10:48 PM
A few day ago he was asking how to back up Playstation 3 disks....

motorbyclist
27-11-2007, 11:14 PM
A few day ago he was asking how to back up Playstation 3 disks....

now i had a look at that, and it is a problem whereby backing up your software is considered piracy, as it is a very effective means of piracy, and there's very little he can do to prove otherwise

nice of everyone to assume the worst though:lol:

motorbyclist
27-11-2007, 11:16 PM

lol there's probably some stupid built-in limit that's there for a very good reason that we will likely never know

TGoddard
28-11-2007, 10:02 PM
Why are people so suspicious here? Reading data from a website isn't a crime, though I've seen people do some crazy stuff with automated data extraction. Until motorbyclist gives people a reason to think there may be something dodgy involved why would they assume guilt? Half the people here are as bad about that as the RIAA :mad:.

If copying and pasting is a problem for IE then you may want to try another browser. A screen-scraping script would be the best option as you could simply run it again to update but would require programming experience to assemble. If the data isn't sensitive and you can provide a sample I could quickly whip together a script for you.

motorbyclist
28-11-2007, 10:10 PM
Why are people so suspicious here? Reading data from a website isn't a crime, though I've seen people do some crazy stuff with automated data extraction. Until motorbyclist gives people a reason to think there may be something dodgy involved why would they assume guilt? Half the people here are as bad about that as the RIAA :mad:.

what did i do?:confused:

TGoddard
28-11-2007, 10:44 PM
Sorry, my mistake. I got mixed up and copied the wrong name. I meant people should leave Pourhommenz alone.