PDA

View Full Version : Two ADSL modems on one PC?

Antonia
26-11-2007, 10:48 AM
I have the D-Link DSL-200 USB installed,using the USB connection.
Works very well for Microsoft Windows XP. I have a separate HDD
on the same PC with the Linux OS Ubuntu installed. Linux does not recognise USB modems.

I have now bought a D-link DSL-302G/TX V.C1 which should work for both
Microsoft and Linux.
My question is: Is it safe to install the DSL-302G modem with the USB Modem
just disconnected. Or do I need to uninstall the DSL-200USB driver and
modem?
I ask this because I am not sure how successful I will be with the
DSL-302G installation as it did not come with an Installation CD.

I have found the driver for it on the Dinalink support website(take it to be for the DSL-302g-TX).
Do I need to install the driver before installing the modem. Is it possible to download the equivelant of the installation CD on the net????

I also wonder whether both modems can work on the one PC.
USB connection for DSL-200 and Win XP.
Ethernet connection for DSL-302G and Linux Ubuntu

Hoping,
Antonia

dugimodo
26-11-2007, 11:04 AM
You don't need drivers for ethernet connected modems / routers for Linux or windows, this is the best option for both.

If you want to keep using the USB modem for windows you can, connecting a 2nd one won't hurt but only ONE can be connected to the phone line and turned on at a time, you can either switch one off, or swap the phone connection.

There may be a little configuring to tell windows to use the new connection.

dugimodo
26-11-2007, 11:06 AM
oh and also you'll need to set up the new modem with your username and password, about all the configuring it should need

FoxyMX
26-11-2007, 04:45 PM
You should have no trouble at all having the two modems installed.

My usual modem/router has an ethernet connection but when I'm having internet problems and wish to eliminate the modem/router being the problem, I install my USB modem.

Both the ethernet modem and USB modem can be installed but not used/connected to the internet at the same time.

My router/modem came with drivers and they were installed prior to plugging the router/modem in for the first time.