PDA

View Full Version : Slow Broadband ??

Taurus
26-11-2007, 10:44 AM
I have switched from the slow Xtra broadband to Xnet. It was faster compared to what I have previously. It was at full throttle for 3 weeks. Last week, it slowed to a crawl. The download is only 64kbps while the upload is 160kbps. I have reset the ADSL router. The speed went back to normal but a day later, it's back to 64kbps. I have uplugged 2 other phone connections to isolate the problem but fultile (BTW they both have filters on it.) I called the Tech Support and they believed it is my line.

I would like to have a 2nd opinion. Any help would be greatly appreciated.:mad:

dugimodo
26-11-2007, 10:55 AM
pretty difficult to diagnose without a lot of detail, you may have to get telecom to test your line. A few points though.

1.Hows the phone service, not noisy or having problems?
2. Are you using a filter on the ADSL router/modem and does it share with a phone etc. If there is no phone remove the filter completely - the router doesn't need it, does that help?
3. can you try another modem from somewhere?
4. is it the connection speed or throughput that's running at 64kbs? if it's still connected at high speed it's an ISP problem, if it's connecting at 64kbs then something is definately wrong.
5. do you have a monitored alarm or sky tv and are they wired to the phone line correctly and filtered? - these are both common sources of trouble, you could try disconnecting them temporarily.
6. if the line is ok and another modem oesn't help, then house wiring is the next suspect, a properly installed "splitter" as opposed to plug in filters is the best option

Speedy Gonzales
26-11-2007, 10:58 AM
What does this site say ? (http://www.xnet.co.nz/speedtest/)

I downloaded something earlier, it was faster than 64k.

So, I would say there is a prob, at your end.

pctek
26-11-2007, 11:42 AM
It was at full throttle for 3 weeks. Last week, it slowed to a crawl. The download is only 64kbps

Sure you just haven't gone over your limit?

Taurus
27-11-2007, 06:50 PM
I'm on the unlimited capping. I think it must be the line. I need to sort that out first I could lay blame on the ISP. Thanks for your advice folks. I really appreciate it. Thanks once again.

lakewoodlady
28-11-2007, 03:21 PM
Even on the unlimited capping I think you still have to set one? Or maybe I am wrong. Every time I find my usage up near the 80% I go in and add another GB.

lakewoodlady
28-11-2007, 03:24 PM
Mmmm...... yes, just had a look at XNet's HSI thing. Looks like Unlimited means no data cap.

Taurus
30-11-2007, 08:49 PM
Xnet's unlimited capping has no upper limit. It's at $1 per gB on top of the basic plan. Assuming I use 10GB a month, it will cost be about $44. No necessity to sign up for tolls.

Finally knew what the problem is. I was on Xtra before I switch to Xnet. Out of the blue, I lost my connection. They said it was my adsl router. I'm using USR9108. So I swap with my old Telecom DLink 502 and it worked. Reason being that the DLink router still has my Xtra username and password. Which means my connection has for some unnown reason being reverted to Xtra and I'm suppose to be on Xnet. All these took 3 days to solve. I'm still logged on using Xtra. When I change the settings to Xnet, it doesn't work. They can only sort it out with Telecom tomorrow. Not sure Telecom is billing me for the hour I used. But I am not going to pay for their error.

thanks folks for the brainstorming.