PDA

View Full Version : CPU running hot?

davehartley
25-11-2007, 08:31 PM
I'm currently looking at an ASUS A7V400-MX mobo with AMD Athlon 1250MHz processor (yes, I know, State of the Ark technology!) which is just randomly "turning off." I've been through quite a few settings and changes -- all of which have had no effect! -- and was going through some of the BIOS settings when I came across the Hardware Monitor. It had the CPU temp clocked at 84 deg Celcius, and as I watched it climbed upwards ... and upwards ... and ... (you get the idea). I turned it off when it hit 90 deg ...

I've checked and, yes, the CPU fan is turning (the HW Monitor says it's doing from 2900-3100 RPM). However, where you can set the option to shut down the computer if the temp gets too high, the highest listed temp is only 75 degrees! I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that I may have found the source of the problem ...

What sort of temps are "normal" for a fairly basic (old-ish) desktop machine? I'm going to look at replacing the CPU fan -- would that help? Or does anyone have some other great suggestions? :)

Bantu
25-11-2007, 08:40 PM
Mine used to run hot as hell. I used a combination of a huge case with extra fans and a huge CPU cooling fan now runs sweet even on the hottest of summer days (in a small office).

wainuitech
25-11-2007, 08:40 PM
Usually I see them sitting around the mid 25 - 45 C thats a standard , P4 3.0 - not the new 2 cores

feersumendjinn
25-11-2007, 11:57 PM
Sounds like the heatsink may have moved, try refitting it, with fresh thermal compound, worth a try.

My old Athlon XP runs at 30-45 degrees C.

drcspy
26-11-2007, 05:40 AM
yeh is possible it's not seated correctly........

older amd's would run happily at up to 60c i've seen it many times......but 80 something is tooooo high.........

Pete O'Neil
26-11-2007, 07:46 AM
Sounds like an old T-bird core, those things ran HOT! As drcspy said it wasn't unusual for them to run at high as 60c but 80 is far too hot. They generally started to cause damage when they hit 90c.

Agent_24
26-11-2007, 10:00 AM
A friend of mine one day discovered his athlon xp to be running much higher than normal, when he took the heatsink off he found the thermal pad had turned to dust

Perhaps this has happened to you?

davehartley
26-11-2007, 10:47 AM
Thanks for all the help, guys ... I'll check the heatsink tomorrow night and investigate :) As I suspected, it does sound abnormal, so I'll fix that before looking any further for shutdown problems.

Morgenmuffel
26-11-2007, 02:48 PM
Or you may want to get a case like this (http://blogs.pcworld.co.nz/pcworld/dumb-terminal/2007/11/fantastic.html), i does have a couple of extra fans, which should keep your cpu loverly and cool

davehartley
26-11-2007, 04:56 PM
Or you may want to get a case like this (http://blogs.pcworld.co.nz/pcworld/dumb-terminal/2007/11/fantastic.html), i does have a couple of extra fans, which should keep your cpu loverly and cool

The words "over-kill" come to mind ... :)

davehartley
29-11-2007, 05:32 PM
Thank you to all for your help ... after removing the heatsink, cleaning up the power residue of whatever had been there, removing the dust from inside the heatsink, applying thermal grease and putting back together, I have a computer chugging along at around 55-7 deg Celcius :)