PDA

View Full Version : Is it time to reinstall?

jwil1
25-11-2007, 04:31 PM
Hi all

I have a friend who has a major SOFTWARE (not hardware) problem with their Windows XP machine. This is what I can make of it (what I can determine from what he told me):

The PC starts up, XP bootscreen displayed, Windows loads, then the PC grinds to a halt and BSODs. He has run diagnostics on every component on the PC and the HD is seemingly fine.

What's the best way around this?
- A complete reinstall of XP? (I have devised a plan to retrieve data)
- A repair install? (I'm told these are temperamental at the best of times)
- Others?

Note: the PC uses SATA HD connectors (I think - it's a Dell Dimension 9150) and has no floppy drive, so how am I to load SATA drivers if I am to do a complete reinstall? There is one HD IDE port and no floppy IDEs as far as I can see from Dell's owners manual.

All help is much appreciated - have arranged toi fix next Sat - so answers quickly plz! :cool:

Speedy Gonzales
25-11-2007, 04:37 PM
Could be spyware / malware.

Did he try booting into safe mode?? Did that work??

If it does, if he's got AV software, scan it.

And go to start/run, type msconfig. See whats under the startup tab.

Untick everything here then reboot, then see if it gets into Windows. If it does, then an entry here is the prob.

An if it does manage to boot into Windows again and this computer is on the net, get hijackthis and post the log here

Whats the BSOD say? Does it show the name of a file or driver??

If its got a recovery option on it, use that instead.

If he needs the XP cd, if there's an option in the BIOS to do with SATA/IDE disable it. Then you wont need a floppy with the sata drivers.

But if it hasnt got this option, you would have to slipstream the SATA drivers on a bootable XP cd

jwil1
25-11-2007, 04:49 PM
Did he try booting into safe mode?? Did that work??

Safe mode doesn't work.

If he needs the XP cd, if there's an option in the BIOS to do with SATA/IDE disable it. Then you wont need a floppy with the sata drivers.

Apparently Dell slipstreams SATA drivers into their install CDs.

The_End_Of_Reality
25-11-2007, 04:52 PM
You can never really say hardware is not the cause... I have got a stick of RAM that survived 24 hours of Memtest and yet it would reboot while trying to install Windows... Take that stick out and Windows installed fine...

Turn off automatic reboot so they can get the message of the BSOD, this might have to be done in safe mode as Speedy said.

Start > Right click My Computer > Properties > Advanced > Start up and recovery > Untick automatically restart.

Edit: Well if it does not boot into safe mode them I would suggest a full reinstall, slave the HDD in another OC and get all important data off and use the Dell CD to reinstall Windows.

Speedy Gonzales
25-11-2007, 04:54 PM
Ok, so whats the BSOD screen say then??

Another thing you can try is connect it to a working desktop, thats got SATA, then scan it.

So when it boots in safe mode, it still crashes, or safe mode doesnt work at all?

drcspy
25-11-2007, 04:56 PM
IF it'll get into safe mode check event viewer (right clik 'my computer' then left clik manage the clik event viewer) for any clues.........

if it wont .....get the xp disc and run a repair install.......

http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm