PDA

View Full Version : Skype advice needed please

ITchy
25-11-2007, 10:03 AM
(I thought I posted this yesterday but can't find a trace so here goes again:)

Just installed Skype on a friend's XPP desktop pc and I seem to have screwed it somehow.

The problem is sound and I think it stems from the add-ons. Like, she wanted a voice phone so we added a cheapie USB unit ("Laser" at $40). This gizmo comes with software, Skypemate, which has its own sound setup.

Then she thought a camera would be a good idea so we added a Logitech "Family" but it also seems to have its own sound controller.

So we're getting connected to Skype, AND getting a picture, but no sound. I think that, along with Windows, we've got 3 or 4 competing sound systems.

Anyone able to suggest a fix?

Speedy Gonzales
25-11-2007, 10:16 AM
See if theres more options under sounds and audio devices in control panel.

Under the audio tab.

See if the sound (besides the onboard sound) are here under default playback and recording device. If there is select it.

It'll have be changed back to the onboard sound later.

Or if there are no other options. You may have to select the onboard sound. And turn its mic/sound volume down.

Then try that cam and phone.

Chilling_Silence
25-11-2007, 10:28 AM
Is the sound just missing from Skype or from the PC as a whole?

There's a tab in the Skype Options called Sound Devices (At least its called that in the latest Beta), double-check that its using the correct device in there too :)

annie
25-11-2007, 11:26 AM
Keep fiddling with the sounds and audio devices section of the control panel, as Speedy says. What you want is the 'voice' option to point to the skype device. On my comp the 'sounds and audio devices' window has 'volume', 'sounds', 'voice' and 'audio' tabs. Sounds is for computer generated beeps and so forth, 'voice' is what you want to set to the skype device, and 'audio' is for everything else. So in mine, for instance, 'voice' is set to use 'cordless usb phone'. I had the same problem, compounded by pretty meaningless option names. Keep at it, it will work

ITchy
25-11-2007, 12:10 PM
Hey, thanks everyone - there are some good tips there and I'm sure I'll get it fixed now.

Cheers
ITchy

PS: Chilling_Silence: No, regular PC sound is OK - it's just the Skype phone is muted. Annoying thing is that I had it going to begin with and then I started fiddling 'to improve it'. Can't help meself, LOL.

Chilling_Silence
25-11-2007, 10:23 PM
If it aint broke it needs more features... Good on ya mate :D

ITchy
26-11-2007, 08:02 AM
Now, ain't that the truth :-). Modern computing succinctly summarized, LOL:lol:

Cheers mate.