PDA

View Full Version : Monitor Problems or more?

deadflagblues
25-11-2007, 08:27 AM
Hey,

First off, il have to apologize for my first post being a question, but i am absolutely stumped so here it goes.

MY father just got a new computer so he decided to give me his old tower. I don't know the specifics on the hardware but its a few years old. Anyway, on my current setup I have a LCD monitor that i tried to plug directly into the older tower, but i got a "unsupported mode" message and no signal once-so-ever. The computer posts fine and i checked the RAM and it's fine, so its not a bad RAM chip. I researched it and it sounds like the refresh rate is too high for the monitor, but my problem is that i can't actually change the settings without a monitor.

My question is: Is the problem really with the monitor? and if so, is there a way to reset the settings right on the motherboard? Or is my only option borrowing a CRT from a friend?(big hassle for me)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mike
25-11-2007, 08:40 AM
First off, il have to apologize for my first post being a question, but i am absolutely stumped so here it goes.I think almost everyone here had a question for their first post - that's why PressF1 is here :)

Where is the screen that your dad used with the "old tower"? Or is there a screen you can borrow from your dad's new computer?

Do you get the "unsupported mode" message from boot-up, or only when it starts loading Windows? If its from boot-up then its not a refresh rate error, as boot uses low res/low refresh so it should work on all screens.

Do you get any beep errors from the computer during boot-up, or does it boot right through as normal but you just don't see anything on screen? If the latter then it sounds like its primarily a screen problem.

If you see all the boot-up info, but then the display goes when you get to Windows, it could be all sorts of things - I'd imagine primarily the display settings are set to another screen and its not picking up the change. You need to somehow get in (with another screen maybe) and setting all the display settings to default.

What version of Windows are you running?

Cheers,
Mike.

Speedy Gonzales
25-11-2007, 08:44 AM
Whats the brand / model of the LCD??

It wont be a setting on the mobo..

There must be buttons on that monitor somewhere. For a menu.

So you can configure it. But if it were a refresh prob, it should at least turn on.

So, you can boot into safe mode and change it thru the video driver software.

deadflagblues
25-11-2007, 08:47 AM
What version of Windows are you running?

I believe its XP with SP 2

Where is the screen that your dad used with the "old tower"? Or is there a screen you can borrow from your dad's new computer?

Unfortunately, hes about 2 hours away from me.

Do you get any beep errors from the computer during boot-up, or does it boot right through as normal but you just don't see anything on screen? If the latter then it sounds like its primarily a screen problem.

The computer boots up with no errors, but nothing on the screen at all. I just plugged the monitor back into my other tower and it actually didnt display anything until windows loaded.

deadflagblues
25-11-2007, 08:51 AM
Whats the brand / model of the LCD??

The LCD is a Fuse N19(a google search didnt turn up anything on it).

There must be buttons on that monitor somewhere. For a menu.

So you can configure it. But if it were a refresh prob, it should at least turn on.

So, you can boot into safe mode and change it thru the video driver software.

THe menu buttons on the screen don't work for some reason, they work on the other box but not the one with problems.

Speedy Gonzales
25-11-2007, 08:55 AM
So it does turn on, once Windows has booted then?

If it does, change the refresh rate there.

Then put it back on yours.

deadflagblues
25-11-2007, 09:13 AM
So it does turn on, once Windows has booted then?

If it does, change the refresh rate there.

Then put it back on yours.

I just tried that but it looks like it just changes the settings on the video card.

EDIT: just an update, i was playing around with my video card settings on my working computer, and set the refresh rate to the lowest it can go, and got the same error, so i think now that the problem is that the refresh rate is too low on the other computer.

Speedy Gonzales
25-11-2007, 09:19 AM
Somehow I dont think the monitor is the prob.

If there's something on the screen, when its connected to another computer.

BUT there's nothing at all, on the computer that it was connected to.

There's a prob with the videocard on that computer, not the monitor.

The monitor SHOULD display something.

Thats right, its the settings under properties on the desktop (for a videocard) that change the refresh rate.

deadflagblues
25-11-2007, 09:26 AM
Would wiping the whole thing and starting from scratch maybe fix my problem?(i was planning on wiping it and putting linux on it once i got it working)

Speedy Gonzales
25-11-2007, 09:33 AM
It should. Since, the settings etc for the refresh wont be there

That may depend on WHAT linux distro you're going to install.

As someone found out the other day, if the videocard isnt good enough, (or pretty old - it doesnt have enough ram).

For the latest version Of Ubuntu. Ubuntu wont load, until you change the videocard to a better one.

You'll have to connect another monitor to install Linux.

Then reconnect the LCD after

Agent_24
25-11-2007, 12:05 PM
EDIT: just an update, i was playing around with my video card settings on my working computer, and set the refresh rate to the lowest it can go, and got the same error, so i think now that the problem is that the refresh rate is too low on the other computer.

what was the lowest refresh? 56hz interlaced? cos no LCD I know will like that much

Some LCDs take a while to turn on, and if your PC does the POST rather fast, you may never see anything until windows loads.

Put the LCD on the computer, turn computer on and straight away start hitting the pause button on the keyboard. This should halt the computer at the POST or at least stop it with a "key stuck" error :)

Then you'll know if it works or not.

Any LCD that can't display the default POST/BIOS setup resolution and refresh rate is pretty useless in my opinion