PDA

View Full Version : Asus EeePC in NZ?

Chilling_Silence
24-11-2007, 09:06 PM
Just thought I'd make a post on them, see who else has one, how they're finding it.. if they're waiting for the 8GB model, waiting for a black one perhaps? Still underclocked? Flashed the BIOS?

Ive had mine for a little over a week now and Im absolutely loving it to bits :D

Have gone and installed WINE so uTorrent & Pokerstarts work fine :)
Got a 4GB SDHC card too which eases the pain a little :)
Installed VLC so h.264 files are playable (Though the extra 270MHz would mean I can play higher res than 320x240... If only..)

In case you're reading this and have no idea what Im on about, here's a couple of links:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eee_PC
http://eeepc.asus.com/en/

wratterus
24-11-2007, 09:50 PM
That looks very nice! Can't say I've seen one before. What's the real battery life you get out of it? 3.5 hours sounds a bit optimistic. :p

winmacguy
24-11-2007, 10:05 PM
Looks ok.
Proportions are a bit fat/slab like though considering it is solid state memory and not hard drive.
I'm surprised its only 4GB considering how cheap RAM is these days.

How much was it?

Chilling_Silence
24-11-2007, 10:10 PM
Ive done just over 3.5 hours with the screen on and wireless going the whole time... its not just optimistic.

WMG, theres tons of room spare inside it. Go down to DSE and pick one up and see how it feels in your hand, instead of just in your head ;)

winmacguy
24-11-2007, 10:13 PM
I'll go down and have a look.

I'm waiting for the MacBook Nano Touch to come out early next year. Attention to detail and finishing are as important as the how the final product works.

bob_doe_nz
24-11-2007, 10:26 PM
I'll go down and have a look.

I'm waiting for the MacBook Nano Touch to come out early next year. Attention to detail and finishing are as important as the how the final product works.

Spoilsport :p

winmacguy
25-11-2007, 05:58 AM
Spoilsport :p

:)

Neongreen
26-11-2007, 03:43 PM
They're amazing little machines, all you need for business related stuff. I've been unable to put it down in the last day or so that I've had one.

The way skype is built in, along with the speakers/mic, allows you to make calls nation wide for 3.3c/min, and 49c/min to cellphones. It's great; you just talk to it and the mic is sensitive enough to pick it up. Also, it has webcam. I'm looking forward to some video calling! :D

CYaBro
06-12-2007, 12:45 AM
Who's willing to try this? (http://forum.eeeuser.com/viewtopic.php?id=3982)

Chilling_Silence
06-12-2007, 01:28 AM
Im actually hoping somebody will try this and report back to me:
http://forum.eeeuser.com/viewtopic.php?pid=40036#p40036

:D

kirjava
14-12-2007, 07:24 PM
Ordered mine today (from DSE, they had a free shippinh deal), will post again once I receive it.

LiquidSolidity
14-12-2007, 08:04 PM
These look awesome. I want one :dogeye:

bob_doe_nz
14-12-2007, 08:39 PM
My two local tricky dickies (1km apart) have them. I'm amazed by the damn size of them. I never actually thought they would be that small.

pctek
14-12-2007, 09:30 PM
ASUS won't sell these to us resellers unless we get a special purchase order form the customer.

Sucks...........

See their new thing is bamboo encased laptops?

LiquidSolidity
14-12-2007, 10:40 PM
ASUS won't sell these to us resellers unless we get a special purchase order form the customer.

Sucks...........

yeah... strange idea: http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2007/12/14/asustek-experiments-bamboo

kirjava
18-12-2007, 02:34 PM
Ok, so it arrived. First impressions are that yes the keyboard is pretty tiny but its a far sight better than using say a cellphone keypad. I have noticed it runs pretty hot, it is not comfortable to use on your lap but that seems a general trend with any laptop. The camera was enabled in mine by default, I installed the skype beta and it works perfectly.

somebody
18-12-2007, 02:35 PM

Sucks...........

Write a "special purchase order" form out in your husband's name...

somebody
18-12-2007, 02:37 PM
Ok, so it arrived. First impressions are that yes the keyboard is pretty tiny but its a far sight better than using say a cellphone keypad. I have noticed it runs pretty hot, it is not comfortable to use on your lap but that seems a general trend with any laptop. The camera was enabled in mine by default, I installed the skype beta and it works perfectly.

I've been playing with mine for a couple of days, and I've pretty much got used to the keyboard now. I've also noticed that there seems to be a fan inside the laptop for cooling, but it doesn't run until the temp is quite high.

Chilling_Silence
19-12-2007, 02:12 AM
Mine doesnt seem to go above 67C (When stressing the CPU and its running at 900MHz), idles around 55..

cl_metal_snake
21-12-2007, 09:38 PM
I got to say that i'm quite impressed by this wee performer.
Still trying to get use to its keyboard. But other than that its great.
Picked it up today at DSE. and im enjoying every single moment with it.
Great wireless internet via my router.
All in all, im very happy.

Fishb8
24-12-2007, 03:48 AM
I'm doing a trip to Europe next year and need a "device" to keep up with email, surfing, banking and phone. So this thing looks just the job, especially as it keeps the weight down. Using Skype for the phone stuff.

Never done WIFI and don't know too much about it. I gather you can get free internet hot spots to go online but what about banking security? Is it possible to get an account for 3 months for pay WIFI access around Europe or something similar?

I leave in mid May so prices may have reduced by then. Where can you buy them overseas? Will Opera run on linux? (prefer it as my browser).
Can some of the pre-loaded educational and other unwanted programs be removed easily?

I have an ADSL modem at home, so I'd need a WIFI transmitter?

Renmoo
24-12-2007, 08:02 AM
Never done WIFI and don't know too much about it. I gather you can get free internet hot spots to go online but what about banking security? Is it possible to get an account for 3 months for pay WIFI access around Europe or something similar?

Most hotspots nowadays come with encryption protection so that others cannot tap into what goes between your laptop and the hotspot's Access Point (AP).

Will Opera run on linux? (prefer it as my browser).
Yes, there is a Linux version for Opera (http://www.opera.com/download/index.dml?custom=yes).

Can some of the pre-loaded educational and other unwanted programs be removed easily?

I would think so. The programs "are just like any other programs".

I have an ADSL modem at home, so I'd need a WIFI transmitter?
You are right. You need something to wirelessly broadcast the Internet connection from the ADSL modem so that WIFI-capable laptops can connect to it. Typical setup would be:

Phone Jack - Modem - Wireless Router

Cheers :)

somebody
24-12-2007, 09:23 AM
I'm doing a trip to Europe next year and need a "device" to keep up with email, surfing, banking and phone. So this thing looks just the job, especially as it keeps the weight down. Using Skype for the phone stuff.

You don't need to worry too much about security, as your bank will use SSL (i.e. the address will start with https://), which is very secure. in terms of WiFi, it'll depend a lot on where you are. It may be best that you simply use whatever WiFi is provided at the accomodation you're staying at, or cafes etc, as there aren't really any multi-national Wifi providers in Europe that I'm aware of.

I leave in mid May so prices may have reduced by then. Where can you buy them overseas? Will Opera run on linux? (prefer it as my browser).

Yes - Opera can be installed easily. Likewise, pre-loaded software can be uninstalled easily. The Xandros-linux based OS uses the apt package manager, so you can easily install and uninstall software. I've installed all sorts of stuff on my Eee with ease.

juicytree
24-12-2007, 02:30 PM
This review appeared in the AFR last week - not very flattering!
http://www.afr.com/home/viewer.aspx?EDP://20071221000020099129&magsection=weekly-life-leisure&title=Asus+Eee+PC&source=/_xmlfeeds/life_leisure/feed.xml

Fishb8
24-12-2007, 04:22 PM
Most of my questions seem to have been positively anwsered.

However, reading the eeeuser forums, there seems to be a lot of people unable to connect to wifi networks, which is a worry as some of the work-arounds seem to be very Linux geekfix, a club, of which, I'm not a member of.

I'm staying a private house rentals and don't know if there is ADSL access.

cl_metal_snake
24-12-2007, 04:24 PM
Most of my questions seem to have been positively anwsered.

However, reading the eeeuser forums, there seems to be a lot of people unable to connect to wifi networks, which is a worry as some of the work-arounds seem to be very Linux geekfix, a club, of which, I'm not a member of.

I'm staying a private house rentals and don't know if there is ADSL access.

I have had no trouble connecting to my wireless router (In linux) for a person who is new to it all.
But when i installed XP, i found it quite difficult to try to connect to the same network.
Of course i have got WEP encryption which some have said is not very secure.

somebody
24-12-2007, 04:35 PM
Haven't had issues connecting to WiFi. I have tried:

-Unsecured 802.11b network overseas
-Auckland Airport wireless AP (unencrypted)
-WPA encrypted wireless network at home (802.11g)

Everything worked perfectly fine, and was painless to set up.

Regarding the concerns raised in the AFR article, it seems the reviewer is treating the Eee PC as though it were a "normal" laptop, and wanting it to fulfil those criteria. I think it's important for any purchaser to know that it *isn't* like a normal laptop, and *isn't* intended to be. The lack of a lot of features and power are because of its size, and price.