PDA

View Full Version : External Hard Drives

zac13x4
24-11-2007, 06:02 PM
Hello People.

I'm intending on getting an external hard drive for my laptop to hold all my large prgram files (game programme files and Microsoft Office Files etc.)

I just wanted to know, do I have to uninstall them then re install them on my External HDD or can I just go into C drive and go "Send To" and select my External HDD.

I know for things like music and images you can just drag and drop basically but I'm not sure about the ones I mentioned.

Thanks

Speedy Gonzales
24-11-2007, 06:26 PM
I dont think it'll work if you copy programs (any programs). That have been installed.

They wont work, you'll have to reinstall them.

BUT you can copy things like MP3's / word docs etc.

zac13x4
24-11-2007, 06:30 PM
Thanks. That'll save me F'ing up the Hard drive and making me waste hours reversing (maybe I'm exagerating)

ableton
24-11-2007, 09:29 PM
well its good ide that program are installed into c: drive, use the external one to backup files, just like i do 30gigs of music, 20gigs movies hehe. they take alot of space

trinsic
25-11-2007, 02:23 PM
Some programs require the use of the registry which have the path of the program. If you moved it, it may cause errors. You can try copying one over and fixing up your shortcuts and seeing if it still works. Others you would have to reinstall on to the external HDD.

zac13x4
25-11-2007, 03:54 PM
Would I need to turn my firewall on then off or reinstall that or something like that?

I'm using AVG Firewall

Thanks

Speedy Gonzales
25-11-2007, 04:07 PM
??

Well if you want to install programs on the external hdd, you'll have to uninstall then reinstall them (If you installed them from cd, you need the cd).

Altho, it doesnt MEAN that program will run , or work from the external hdd.

If it doesnt like it, it wont work. Not much you can do about it.

If you downloaded whatever program from the net then installed it (but deleted the original file), you'll have to uninstall it, then download the file again, then reinstall it again.