PDA

View Full Version : Did anyone realise

Speedy Gonzales
24-11-2007, 01:53 PM
You can charge USB devices, while the computer is off??

I just found this out :lol:

I just tried it with the Xbox wireless headset here, and the LED's started flashing.

On this pc, it works on the front ports, havent tried the back ports yet.

BUT, on the other PC, the back ports work, but not the front.

You maybe able to tell, if when you turn the computer off, the mouse LED remains on.

Thats if you use an optical mouse. Dont know if it works, if its not optical.

Bantu
24-11-2007, 02:26 PM
I have a nice little adapter that came with a storage unit for storing photos Similar to Databank. The cable plugs into the USB Port OR Directly Into a small power plug. I have tried charging other things with the power plug adapter and it works fine. The small power plug just has 3 pins and a usb socket, very handy indeed. It is about half the size of a normal plug on the end of an extension cable.

The_End_Of_Reality
24-11-2007, 02:53 PM
My guess is your 5VSB is on... My PCs don't do it unless 5VSB is on...

Speedy Gonzales
24-11-2007, 02:58 PM
Yup thats the one. Usually a jumper, u change on the mobo.

It'll most probably work, if you can turn the system on with the keyboard, and you enable the option in the BIOS.

As well. Well on this mobo, if you switch the jumper you cant boot with the kb.

I think this option only works with PS/2 kb's not USB ones.

Graham L
25-11-2007, 01:05 PM
5VSB is always on when the computer has the mains connected ... that's what makes the power button work in an ATX system. It also provides power for Ethernet cards, modems, or anything else with the capability of starting the computer when they detect activity. I suppose the USB ports might have this source of 5V because there are now modems and other network adapters which connect through USB.

I'd guess that not all computers will have this.

SurferJoe46
25-11-2007, 01:53 PM
I get the same thing from my dynamic powered USB hubs...they are hot all the time and I can plug anything that needs a recharge into a port and they charge whether the puter is on or not.

No synching, just charging.