PDA

View Full Version : No sound from DVD disc

gradebdan
24-11-2007, 01:51 PM
My wife has just come back from shopping with a fitness DVD. First I changed from region 4 to region 2 to play it. It shows the video ok in Win Med Player but there is no sound. All the volume controls are normal, (I was playing some music in Winamp just before) Any ideas how I can hear it?
The region code:- When I changed the code to reg.2 it said I can only make 3 more region changes then the DVD Player is fixed on the last change and can not be altered. Is this true? The player is....LITE-ON DVDRW SOHW 1693S

Speedy Gonzales
24-11-2007, 01:59 PM
Thats right, if you change the zone/region 4 times, the 5th time, it'll lock at the last region/zone.

So, if it locks at Zone 2, you wont be playing anymore zone 4 DVD's (or any other zone on that computer).

Besides Zone 2 DVD's.

And this cant be changed.

This applies to any DVD, and anyone.

It most probably needs a codec. Why you cant hear any sound

wainuitech
24-11-2007, 02:31 PM
Windows Media Player is good like that download CodecLite (http://www.free-codecs.com/download/K_Lite_Codec_Pack.htm) May as well get the full package as its free - install it and Win Med willplay just about any format.

You can also download VideoLan Player (http://www.videolan.org/) that will play most DVD's and just about any other format - its free also.

Regarding the zone lock - errrrrrrr read This download (http://www.snapfiles.com/get/dvdgenie.html) at your own risk. There are ways to kill the lock but forum rules wont allow to say how.

gradebdan
24-11-2007, 03:47 PM
I d/l codeclite standard version and installed it. Then when I tried to play the disc the computer shut down/restarted "serious error occured" ,something about "SiS graphics drivers faulty"now the video sound is very distorted but my music is fine in winamp.Don't think I will mess with the zone changes.

Speedy Gonzales
24-11-2007, 03:51 PM
Uninstall them, if u can, and install Videolan Player

wainuitech
24-11-2007, 04:03 PM
Hmmmmm must have been a corrupted download - never had that happen with K - Lite.

If you use Video Lan player you may need to set it to play DVD's - easy way to play a DVD is open the player - File > Open Disc >OK dvd will start to play, by right clicking on the movie when playing will bring up lots of different settings you can change.

gradebdan
25-11-2007, 01:59 PM
I've deleted K-LITE and installed VIDEOLAN now the audio speech sounds as if the people are speaking under water and the video is continuously jumpy.???

Speedy Gonzales
25-11-2007, 02:10 PM
If something like PowerDVD came with that DVD, install it.

It should install codecs.

Just dont change the Zone too many times.

Or install this (http://www.dvd-x-player.com/)

It'll play any zone. BUT, its not free.

wainuitech
25-11-2007, 02:15 PM
I've deleted K-LITE and installed VIDEOLAN now the audio speech sounds as if the people are speaking under water and the video is continuously jumpy.??? Can you play a movie file,(size or content wont matter) directly from the PC instead of the DVD drive. This is just a test to see if the Drive its self may be causing a problem.

gradebdan
25-11-2007, 02:28 PM
Have just played an MPEG file and a WMV file from my computer. They both came up on the VLC player and had perfect sound and video.

gradebdan
25-11-2007, 02:53 PM
Have just tried another dvd in the computer. It also came up with distorted sound and jumpy video.

bob_doe_nz
25-11-2007, 03:06 PM
GBDan:

Use this utility (http://dhc014.rpc1.org/LtnRPC/) to reset the region counter

Agent_24
25-11-2007, 03:13 PM
Slysoft AnyDVD or DVD43 will remove region code protection for you...

Or you could use a patched firmware from rpc1.org and make your drive region-free

The whole dvd zoning thing was a stupid idea and multizone is just sensible. If you bought the DVD and just want to play it, what's the problem anyway?

gradebdan
25-11-2007, 03:36 PM
Agent and Bob doe:- My main problem is the sound and video quality, not so much the region code. Thanks anyway.

wainuitech
25-11-2007, 03:37 PM
Have just tried another dvd in the computer. It also came up with distorted sound and jumpy video. It sounds (No Pun Inteneded) That the fault may lay with the DVD Drive.
Have just played an MPEG file and a WMV file from my computer. They both came up on the VLC player and had perfect sound and video. This would tell me the video codecs and audio are fine other wise they would do exactly the same thing a playing a DVD.

You may have dust on the laser lens of the DVD Drive or the drive may be faulty.

To clean the Lens I would advice using something like a Lens cleaning CD from some place like Dick Smiths Example Here (http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/4748e7f80122f900273fc0a87f33067c/Product/View/C7142) other places have them , even the local warehose these days.
If after cleaning the Lens it still does it the next step I would try is attaching another DVD drive and see if it cures it.

I wouldn't go worrying about region changing / tampering at the moment the DVD's need to play correctly first.

Edited: just thought of something else - try disabling the hardware acceleration This site here (http://www.deskshare.com/Resources/articles/dmc_turnoffhardwareacceleration.aspx) shows you how.

Agent_24
25-11-2007, 03:48 PM
I d/l codeclite standard version and installed it. Then when I tried to play the disc the computer shut down/restarted "serious error occured" ,something about "SiS graphics drivers faulty"now the video sound is very distorted but my music is fine in winamp.Don't think I will mess with the zone changes.

Blue screen of death? I had that once when playing DVD, just needed to update my video card drivers

Region change should not affect playback in any way, only what you can and can't play.

wainuitech
25-11-2007, 03:58 PM
Also check the DMA is Enabled in the IDE controller for the Drive. To do this Right click on "My Computer>Properties>Hardware Tab>Device Manager> expand the IDE ATA/ATAPI listings> Right click Secondary IDE Channel> Properties> Advanced Settings and make sure its Enabled. Example Here (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/DMA.png) This is all assuming the DVD is on the secondary controller.

gradebdan
25-11-2007, 04:33 PM
Wainuitech;The drive is only 11months old and has not done much work. But will try the lens cleaner tomorrow from DSE.
The hardware acc. was on full. I reset it down to the least but one. Tried the DVD, no change. Put it back to FULL.
The next thing I checked the "DMA IF AVAILABLE"
It was on:- device 0 "PlO ONLY" I changed it to "DMA if available" then tried the DVD, no change!
Have no idea what this PlO thing is. Should I reset it back to PlO?

Speedy Gonzales
25-11-2007, 04:48 PM
What else is on the same IDE connection as this DVD??

Anything else?

After you changed it from PIO to DMA reboot, see if its any better.

And see if its still on DMA.

If it stays on PIO, there maybe a prob somewhere.

No PIO can make things slower/worse.

wainuitech
25-11-2007, 04:57 PM
The drive is only 11months old and has not done much work Doesn't make a lot of difference - I have seen drives only a day or so old give silly problems - An example is if a dirty DVD - meaning dusty/dirt - not the "other Dirty";) was installed it could have dropped dust on the Lens - bit like the Old VCR tapes - install a dirty tape and the heads could get build up on them instantly.

As much as I hate to say it - But from experiance I have seen some Lite-ons not last even a year.
I used to use them in my own PC builds for customers, untill they started giving to many "silly faults".
Now as you can see by one of the screen shots I use Asus - so far so good :D

I could be wrong - but so far with whats been written / tried every thing I can see points to the drive - other wise if it was the audio / video software it would play up while playing from the hard Drive also. - Hence if you have access to another drive attach it and see if it still plays up.

wainuitech
25-11-2007, 05:20 PM
Hopefully this will fix the problem - If the settings stay on PIO - the reg files may be damaged. Process of Elimination. Run the Tool below anyway - it shouldn't hurt any thing - to be safe make a system restore point first.

Download DMA Reset tool (http://svp.co.uk/helpdesk/index.php?_m=downloads&_a=viewdownload&downloaditemid=15) it resets the reg to change back to what its meant to be. Ignore any warning - click Ok etc Reboot - Your DVD's should now hopefully play Ok Fingers Xed

Agent_24
25-11-2007, 06:17 PM
yeah I never trust winxp to fix the DMA itself, if it's stupid enough to put it on PIO to begin with, it's not gonna be clever enough to change it back when you tell it to.

The manual reset tool always works

gradebdan
25-11-2007, 06:26 PM
I d/l the dma reset then rebooted, no change in the quality.I went back to device drivers. For dev o it now says transfer mode "dma if available" and current transfer mode "PlO MODE".

Speedy Gonzales
25-11-2007, 06:37 PM
Sounds like there's something wrong somewhere.

Thats why its having probs.

Agent_24
25-11-2007, 07:05 PM
yeah it shouldn't say PIO mode, perhaps DMA is disabled in BIOS, or on the drive itself (I know some drives you can force PIO mode with a jumper on the back, I have A-open CD-ROM's that do that)

Are you sure you got the right channel? (Primary/Secondary)

wainuitech
25-11-2007, 07:17 PM
Okay - go into the device manager - go to the IDE controllers ( as if changing the DMA) delete the Secondary controller - reboot, the system should redetect the drive and reinstall the controller - see if that works. ArticleInstructions Here (http://tipvista.com/2006/07/how-to-fix-cd-dvd-drive-stuck-in-pio-mode/)

Speedy Gonzales
25-11-2007, 07:18 PM
I would try changing the IDE cable this is using.

Or make sure the cable is in properly.

Or make sure, the cable is connected the right way.

I would also (if the IDE cable isnt 80 wire), put an 80 wire IDE cable on it.

It may give u better speeds.

gradebdan
25-11-2007, 07:56 PM
Wainuitech post26:= I followed the "instructions here"...deleted primary and secondary ide controllers...not the sis pci ide controller, rebooted,went to device manager,primary was all DMA, secondary was dev o Transfer mode is PIO and current transfer mode is PIO. Should I now run the reset DMA again?

Speedy Gonzales
25-11-2007, 08:01 PM
Change the ide cable

gradebdan
25-11-2007, 08:07 PM
Speedy. I shall change the ide 80 cable tomorrow.Getting late and dark.

wainuitech
25-11-2007, 08:20 PM
Wainuitech post26:= I followed the "instructions here"...deleted primary and secondary ide controllers...not the sis pci ide controller, rebooted,went to device manager,primary was all DMA, secondary was dev o Transfer mode is PIO and current transfer mode is PIO. Should I now run the reset DMA again?
You can try - it wont hurt to rerun the DMA tool.

As Speedy has said - try changing the Cable.
Its a process to locate the problem. If it still plays up after the cable change try attaching a different drive. Doesn't have to be a DVD - its just to see if the DMA will change, BUT a DVD drive would be better as then you can see if your DVD's play OK.
No Need to mount in the case - hell I test like this all the time - leave them hanging out the side, the DVD's will still work

gradebdan
26-11-2007, 10:09 AM
Start a new day.. I changed the 2ary ide 80 cable, (had a new one from somewhere). played dvd..distorted. Looked in device manager. 2ary still says for device o:-transfer mode= DMA if avail. & current transfer mode=PIO mode.
Ran RESETDMA, rebooted, still says as above.
I was thinking about the lens being dirty so I played my backup cd of mp3s, no problem. I then played my back up dvd of my photos, no problem. Would this mean that the dirty lens theory is not correct?

Speedy Gonzales
26-11-2007, 10:18 AM
I would replace / take the burner back if its under warranty.

Tell them its knackered. And get an ASUS.

Agent_24
26-11-2007, 10:20 AM
if the lens was a problem the playback of the whole thing would be stuffed, not just sound.

Hack you checked bios settings to make sure dma is not disabled?

wainuitech
26-11-2007, 10:34 AM
if the lens was a problem the playback of the whole thing would be stuffed, not just sound.
Correct - the Lens is OK. That sound test with the MP3's was not done before (or mentioned). The DMA should have been reset with the tool, it does the same thing as the manual reg hack with out the problem of "mucking it up" by changing the wrong keys. If you want he manual reg hack - open regedit go to

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Class\{4D36E96A-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

It has subkeys like 0000, 0001, 0002, etc. Normally 0001 is the primary IDE channel, 0002 the secondary, but other numbers can occur under certain circumstances. You have to go through these subkeys and check the DriverDesc value until you find the proper IDE channel.
Delete MasterIdDataChecksum or SlaveIdDataChecksum, depending on whether the device in question is attached as master or slave, but it can't actually hurt to delete both. Reboot. The drive DMA capabilities will be redetected.
Note that many CD and DVD drives only use UDMA-2, because their data rate is much lower than that of a hard disk. This is normal and no reason to worry.
2006-01-19 – Horst Schülke wrote that it is sufficient to empty the content of these values. But you can also delete the values entirely. Windows will automatically recreate them anyway, with new content.
Open Device Manager again and check whether the device is now actually using DMA mode. If so, congratulations, you've made it (at least until the next time Windows disables DMA). If not, you may have to change the IDE channel setting from PIO back to the highest available DMA mode and reboot again.

Personally I'd try another Drive first.

gradebdan
26-11-2007, 11:08 AM
Agent_24:- On start up pressed f9 but could not find where DMA shows enabled or not.
Wainuitech:- Looks too complicated for me, will try and find where DMA is enabled or not, then last resort take drive back to comp.shop.What is the standard warranty (months) for Lite-on?

dugimodo
26-11-2007, 11:16 AM
it's pretty much the same as what wainuitech posted but you can look here
http://sniptools.com/tipstricks/getting-back-to-dma-mode-in-windows-xp
for some tips on this problem.

Did you do as suggested and check the BIOS setting?

wainuitech
26-11-2007, 11:26 AM
Agent_24:- On start up pressed f9 but could not find where DMA shows enabled or not.
Wainuitech:- Looks too complicated for me, will try and find where DMA is enabled or not, then last resort take drive back to comp.shop.What is the standard warranty (months) for Lite-on? Just to add confusion :lol: could be 12 Months or 14 Months - See Warranty Details (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/Warranty_2.jpg)from one of my suppliers - but being 11 months old I think you said it is still covered ( just)

wratterus
26-11-2007, 12:52 PM
DMA almost certainly won't be the problem.....but anyway.

To check if it's enabled, open the Device Manager, and look in the properties of the IDE controller that your optical drive is plugged into. (Normally IDE/ATAPI Controllers, and probably the secondary controller, depends how you have your PC set up.)

In the controller properties, look under advanced settings, the "current transfer mode" should be set to "Ultra DMA Mode 2".

If it isn't, generally you won't be able to re-enable it, what you need to do is uninstall both the optical drive and the controller (from within the device manager, right click on the item, uninstall), and reboot.

On restart, Windows will reinstall the drivers and all will be as it should.

wainuitech
26-11-2007, 01:36 PM
Sorry Wratterus :groan: That was tried in post 2 6 / 28 didn't work - bummer.:badpc:

Don't ya just love it when things work "Like they meant to"

gradebdan
26-11-2007, 01:39 PM
Wratterus:- I deleted the optical drive (Lite-on) and the 2ary ide then rebooted. Then looked in device manager 2ary ide. For device o:-Transfer mode was PIO and current transfer was PIO. I changed the transfer mode to DMA if avail., rebooted. Now transfer mode is DMA if avail. and current transfer is PIO....Just going out so will talk to the supplier of the DVD drive.

wratterus
26-11-2007, 01:39 PM
:eek: :annoyed: :dogeye:

Ahh bugger, I should have read the whole thread, not just the last page huh!

:lol:

Wainuitech - I should have known you'd covered that! :)

wainuitech
26-11-2007, 01:42 PM
:eek:

Ahh bugger, I should have read the whole thread, not just the last page huh!

:lol:
Hands up all who have been guilty of not reading longer posts then finding something has been tried.>>wainuitech :thumbs: :lol:

Speedy Gonzales
26-11-2007, 01:53 PM
You're not the only one with this prob (http://club.cdfreaks.com/f7/dma-problem-liteon-sohw-1693s-158216/)

Which points to this (http://club.cdfreaks.com/f92/dma-pio-transfer-mode-problems-134253/)

Which basically says, if youre using Nvidia or VIA ide drivers, (instead of MS ide drivers), what youre seeing can happen.

wainuitech
26-11-2007, 02:06 PM
You're not the only one with this prob (http://club.cdfreaks.com/f7/dma-problem-liteon-sohw-1693s-158216/)

Which points to this (http://club.cdfreaks.com/f92/dma-pio-transfer-mode-problems-134253/)

Which basically says, if youre using Nvidia or VIA ide drivers, (instead of MS ide drivers), what youre seeing can happen. Speedy - wouldn't SP2 fix that problem - as per post 6 in the link provided.???

gradebdan - Has this problem suddenly surfaced after doing a driver update or install ?

Might pay to check what driver is being used. right click on My computer etc you know the way by noe to the device manager, on the DVD drive this time, not the IDE controllers, right click>Properties>Driver Tab > will be what driver is being used Example here (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/Liteon_Driver.jpg). Bottom one give lot more details of the drivers.

The one question every one has NOT asked is: what if anything has been changed/added/deleted from between this DVD drive working and not working correctly ?

Speedy Gonzales
26-11-2007, 02:19 PM
There is something in SP2 (http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=813861)

That does fix a DMA issue. On a VIA chipset.

BUT, it doesnt say anything about PIO.

Wont hurt to try.

BUT this maybe the reason (http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=817472)

This is one of the fixes in SP2.

As stated from the above site

SYMPTOMS

After you suspending and resume your computer several times, hard disk performance may be reduced.

If you use Device Manager to view the properties of the IDE channel to which the drive is connected, the Advanced Settings tab may show that the current transfer mode for the drive is "PIO Mode."

After the Windows IDE/ATAPI Port driver (Atapi.sys) receives a cumulative total of six time-out or cyclical redundancy check (CRC) errors, the driver reduces the communications speed (the transfer mode) from the highest Direct Memory Access (DMA) mode to lower DMA modes in steps.

If the driver continues to receive time-out or CRC errors, the driver eventually reduces the transfer mode to the slowest mode (PIO mode).

That CRC error maybe appearing in Event Viewer?

Even tho it says hdd, it doesnt mean it doesnt apply to other IDE devices.

wainuitech
26-11-2007, 03:27 PM
Hmmmmmmmm interesting - I just looked at the Reg keys mentioned in the second link they are there and actually set to the suggestions from MS. I didn't set them - HONEST :p

gradebdan - go to the page speedy gave, second link, print it off and open regedit click start / run type in regedit press Ok and navagate to the keys suggested and see what yours say. Dont panic, you cant really hurt anything if you follow the path fully, and dont change anything (famous last words) :rolleyes: If in doubt it may be remote desktop link up time if you are willing from either myself or speedy (if he will) to check.

gradebdan
26-11-2007, 04:04 PM
Just come back. I borrowed a new Asus drw1814bl from my friendly supplier.Installed it. Exactly the same probs as my Lite-on.Ran the DMA tool. No change. Did the same changes to the 2ary trying to force dma. No luck. The drivers are all microsoft.
Damn just got visitors...XP SP2.

gradebdan
26-11-2007, 04:08 PM
No drivers have been added since I had the comp. Have not known of past probs because the few dvds I had played in the home m/c. I t was only because my wife got this wrong zone dvd that we tried to play it in the comp.

wainuitech
26-11-2007, 04:48 PM
No drivers have been added since I had the comp. Have not known of past probs because the few dvds I had played in the home m/c. I t was only because my wife got this wrong zone dvd that we tried to play it in the comp.
Hmmmm just a test - go into device manager - you'll know the way:p expand out the DVD drive (not IDE controller) Right click the Drive > properties> DVD region Tab - See what region its is currently on, even if its on region 4 (NZ) select new zealand from the countries available, OK etc, reboot. See what happens.

Speedy Gonzales
26-11-2007, 05:09 PM
Since noone has asked yet, whats this burner plugged into??

Whats the brand/model of this bloody annoying system lol

gradebdan
26-11-2007, 05:41 PM
I did the region thing. It was on region.2. I picked NZ WHICH IT SAYS IS REGION 4.When I clicked ok it said unable to change region, make sure you have a region. 4 media in the drive and you have admin. rights.

Speedy Gonzales
26-11-2007, 05:43 PM
So did u put a zone 4 dvd in it??

It'll say what zone it is on the back of the dvd, if u brought it

gradebdan
26-11-2007, 05:49 PM
I do not have a zone 4 dvd. Ther dvds I have played in the past on my home lounge m/c have been borrowed.

wainuitech
26-11-2007, 05:56 PM
I did the region thing. It was on region.2. I picked NZ WHICH IT SAYS IS REGION 4.When I clicked ok it said unable to change region, make sure you have a region. 4 media in the drive and you have admin. rights.

If what Speedy says doesn't work, start the PC in safe Mode, - keep hitting F8 till you get the black screen with white writing, use the arrow keys select "safe Mode" when it starts, select "Administrator" go into Device manager and see if it will change to region 4 Which IS NZ. - Reboot.

Note: It should change without a DVD - just changed one of mine to Region2 and back again - no worries, didn't ask for a DVD.

dropshipdvd2007
26-11-2007, 06:36 PM
[edit: spam removed and spambot food left :p]

hw925shop@163.com .... hw925shop@hotmail.com

gradebdan
26-11-2007, 06:47 PM
Who is this post 56??? Sounds suspicious.

wainuitech
26-11-2007, 07:10 PM
Who is this post 56??? Sounds suspicious.
Just another Spammer - Jen Sorted it :thumbs:

Out of interest with the DVD's you are having troubles with are they shop brought / commerical DVD's or ones that someone has made up - Eg: family / Home movies.

gradebdan
26-11-2007, 07:48 PM
The dvd my wife bought was from the Warehouse"Jenny Craig weight watchers Programme" The other one was "St Elmores Fire" also from the Warehouse. All originals.

gradebdan
26-11-2007, 08:17 PM
Wainuitech:-Went through safe mode.select adminastrator. gOT TRIPPED UP WITH PASSWORD/ I bought this computer from a friends son about 3 years ago. no way can I get the password.Therefore got stuck.

wainuitech
26-11-2007, 08:51 PM
Wainuitech:-Went through safe mode.select adminastrator. gOT TRIPPED UP WITH PASSWORD/ I bought this computer from a friends son about 3 years ago. no way can I get the password.Therefore got stuck. OH Shoot!! (polite version) :D OK - I have software here as most Techs would that can change / crack the password in a matter of seconds - but of course this is no good to you :groan:

You can try This Software here (http://www.lcpsoft.com/english/download.htm) download the windows version installer , install it and run it, Select from the top menu "Import>Import from Local Computer. It May or may not show the administrator password.

The reason I was asking about the type of DVD's was simply if they were home made, they sometimes can cause problems where as commerical ones usually wont.

About the only other thing I can personally think of at this time is to run system restore back to before the offending DVD was played - this may or may not fix the problem.

Time to get out the Bill Gates punching dummy :lol:

Agent_24
26-11-2007, 10:14 PM
Just come back. I borrowed a new Asus drw1814bl from my friendly supplier.Installed it. Exactly the same probs as my Lite-on.Ran the DMA tool. No change. Did the same changes to the 2ary trying to force dma. No luck. The drivers are all microsoft.
Damn just got visitors...XP SP2.

bad BIOS setting or bad drivers. what else?

gradebdan
27-11-2007, 08:24 PM
Hi everyone that contributed. I took the borrowed dvddrive back to the computer shop and the owner said that if I bring my m/c in he will have a look to try and solve my problem...thanks... Will try and find out what he does to it.

gradebdan
27-11-2007, 08:29 PM
Forgot to say that this morning I did a system restore back to last Thur. before I played with the "offending" dvd. Nothing changed except I lost the videolan player.

Speedy Gonzales
27-11-2007, 08:32 PM
Well cant be the cable or cd/dvd. Or drivers.

Only other thing it can be is the ide port, or the mobo itself.

We've tried nearly everything else

wainuitech
27-11-2007, 09:56 PM
Well cant be the cable or cd/dvd. Or drivers.

Only other thing it can be is the ide port, or the mobo itself.

We've tried nearly everything else

Or a really screwed up system someplace - will be interesting to know what the final outcome is.

I was going to suggest a complete reinstall if its software - being over 3 years old it could be due for one.

Hey speedy - There was one thing that wasn't tried >>>> See the Pic in my profile :lol: :lol: