PDA

View Full Version : What is the best place in auckland for CPU installation services?

Fishy
24-11-2007, 10:24 AM
I'm going to buy a new CPU (C2D E4500) but i'm to scared to install it myself as my mate tried installing one on his computer, bent the pins and had to get a new motherboard.

What's the best place in Auckland to get a professional to install it? And how much is it likely to cost?

Cheers.

Speedy Gonzales
24-11-2007, 10:27 AM
Depends on WHERE you are.

Fishy
24-11-2007, 10:29 AM
What's the best place in Auckland to get a professional to install it? And how much is it likely to cost?

I'm in Herne Bay if that's what you meant.

Speedy Gonzales
24-11-2007, 10:41 AM
Yup thats what I meant. Have you got everything else so it works??

Mobo/ram/PSU etc?

Once u put the CPU in??

Is the mobo in the case now??

I could do it, if you wanna visit Mt Eden :D

wainuitech
24-11-2007, 10:48 AM
Its very easy and you would have to have been a bit rough to bend the pins as you said your mate did.
When you get the CPU it comes with good instructions on how to install.

With Socket 775, simply pull out sideways slightly the retaining clip, lift it up,lift up the retainer, it wil swing up easy, look at the socket and you will see two little "dimples/lugs" - the CPU has the same indents, it can only go in one way - gently place the CPU in the socket, close down the retainer lid, and reclip back the retaining clip, then attach the heat sink.

If you want some one to do it,then it would take no longer than 5 minutes max (and that would be slow if its on a new board) - unless there is something wrong. Have a look This article (http://www.waterwheel.com/Guides/how_to/cpu/CPU.htm) last section socket 775.

If you already have a CPU installed on the board its the same for removing the existing CPU - only in reverse, after removing the heatsink of course. Example: Upgraded a CPU on a customers PC last week they didn't even have time to make the cuppa coffee they offered before it was completed. ;)

Greg
24-11-2007, 11:06 AM
Probably a good idea to get someone like Speedy to do it for you. Just PM him and ask for a price - I think around $45.00 would be fair, but may be more if much more time for other setup and testing is required.

Fishy
24-11-2007, 11:15 AM
Yup thats what I meant. Have you got everything else so it works??

Mobo/ram/PSU etc?

Once u put the CPU in??

Is the mobo in the case now??

I could do it, if you wanna visit Mt Eden :D

Yeah everything else works. It's an upgrade not a new system being built. So the mobo is in the case unfortunately.

I may take you up on your offer. I'll PM you in a bit. Thanks.

Pete O'Neil
24-11-2007, 01:19 PM
Yeah everything else works. It's an upgrade not a new system being built. So the mobo is in the case unfortunately.

I may take you up on your offer. I'll PM you in a bit. Thanks.
If you do go and see Speedy then make an effort to watch carefully what he does. Its not overly hard to do and is a good skill to have. I remember installing my first CPU, it was an old Duron and those had exposed cores so you really did need to be careful.

Speedy Gonzales
24-11-2007, 01:57 PM
Here's a pic (http://www.build-gaming-computer-guide.com/computer-cpu.html)

Altho, this can be tricky if the mobo is already in the case.