PDA

View Full Version : HDD Install- Correct Config

Espresso_Addict
24-11-2007, 08:31 AM
Good morning all.
I have just installed 2 hard drives and a Dvd writer on a spare pc.
I have put 1 x Hdd(jumper set to master) and the Dvd(jumper set to slave) on the primary ide channel.
I have the other hard drive set as master on the secondary ide channel.
Could you please confirm that this is correct or advise the correct way to configure them.
All help much appreciated
Grant

Speedy Gonzales
24-11-2007, 08:36 AM
Put both hdd's on the same IDE connection (Primary - one as master, the other as slave).

Put the DVD on secondary IDE as master by itself

Usually, its not a good idea, to put cd's and dvd's/burners on the same IDE connection as a hdd.

Others would disagree.

Espresso_Addict
24-11-2007, 08:49 AM
Thanks for that Speedy

Speedy Gonzales
24-11-2007, 08:59 AM
No worries :)

Greg
24-11-2007, 10:12 AM
Others would disagree.I wouldn't disagree, but yeah, there's a multitude of opinions out there.

feersumendjinn
24-11-2007, 10:25 AM
There is a myth about putting optical drives on the same channel as HDDs, it is just that a myth, but it keeps getting reinforced by the way Windows deals with ATA\ATAPI issues
basically with Independent Device Timing (http://www.storagereview.com/guide2000/ref/hdd/if/ide/confTiming.html) two devices (master\slave) both transfer their data at their own highest speed, but, they both either have to be PIO (which is glacially slow) or UDMA, if one defaults to PIO because of some issue, Windows will default the other as well. There was a time when CDROMs were only PIO, and HDDs were DMA, for that period of history you didnt want to share a channel, but modern opticals are UDMA mode2 so there is rarely any issue
Doesnt matter these days?;)