PDA

View Full Version : PC Upgrade Time

CaptainVincent
23-11-2007, 09:55 PM
Yay, I found a good nz forum.

Anyway, Hello everyone I just need some pc upgrade advice.

Currently I have
512MB RAM 333Mhz
AMD Sempron 3200+
Geforce FX 5200

I Have A Perfectly Upgradable System But I Just Need To Know Whats Best For Value.

It Can Support Up To
4GB RAM 400Mhz
Socket 939 AMD64 X2 4800+
PCI-Express x16 Graphics Card

I am trying to make it a gaming system, so what would be the best value for Price .vs. Performance.

Any Help Would be Much Appreciated.

wainuitech
23-11-2007, 10:16 PM
Hi Captain - Welcome to PressF1 - Can you please give a little more information.
Do you have a budget to work to and if so approx what value
What make and wattage power supply do you have, this may need to be upgraded along with the other components.

Do you want to increase the Hard Drive size, or what size is it currently
What is the operating system installed

If you are not to sure about the PSU open the case and usually there will be some sort of specs on a sticker attached to the Power Supply.

Thanks.

CaptainVincent
23-11-2007, 10:27 PM
Hey There

For A Dual Core AMD64 I'm Looking Around $200
For Graphics Card Around $200
And RAM Around $200

I Have 80GB HD, Happy With This.

My OS Is XP SP2, Don't Want Vista Lol.

Don't Know My Power Supply, Just Pretend It's A Decent One. I'll Sort This One Out Myself.

Thank You.

pctek
24-11-2007, 08:43 AM
Um. You really need to change Motherboard, CPU, RAM and graphics.
And $200 isn't enough for a decent gaming graphics card.

Look at 8800GTS, or the new 8800GT.

The boards now all take DDR2 ram, either socket AM2 or one of the Intel boards.
AMD would work out a bit cheaper.

CaptainVincent
24-11-2007, 09:04 AM
Theres Many Socket 939 CPU's Still Available, Even In NZ, I'm Not Upgrading My Mobo.

My Graphics Card Budget Is Around $200, I Can Get A Graphics Card Like 8600GT 512MB For This Much. I'm Just Looking For A Gaming System, Not Top Of The Line Nex Gen Crysis Machine. Thanks Heaps.

pctek
24-11-2007, 11:33 AM
My Graphics Card Budget Is Around $200, I Can Get A Graphics Card Like 8600GT 512MB For This Much. I'm Just Looking For A Gaming System, Not Top Of The Line Nex Gen Crysis Machine.

Does depend on the game, but hey, I have an 8800GTX and 2GB RAm and Crysis will not allow me to choose Very High settings.
What does it want? SLI.

An 8800GTS is no longer that high end...........

CaptainVincent
24-11-2007, 01:22 PM
Well Do You Have Vista Or XP, If You Have XP It's Because It's Running In DirectX10.

Anyway, I Want To Be Able To Play Stalker, Half-Life 2, Doom 3 On Med-High Settings 1024x768 Res.

Battleneter2
24-11-2007, 05:35 PM
Well Do You Have Vista Or XP, If You Have XP It's Because It's Running In DirectX10.

Actually Crysis is built on DX9, DX10 API's were added late in its development. Add to that Crysis will run in DX9 mode on XP faster than Vista on DX10 both on "high". Add to that there are Ini tweaks to allow Crysis DX9XP to run with 95%+ of the visuals of DX10 and faster than Vista DX10.

Piece of advice, ignore DX10, there are no "true" DX10 native games yet.
DX10 will not be of any tangible benefit for another year or two until the first DX10 native games are released. DX10 cards like the GTX,GTS,GT are great cards due to there grunt in DX9 so don't think I am suggesting don't buy a DX10 card.

anyway back on track

The 8600Gt is a hunk of junk, most don't consider it a true gaming card, and calling it a DX10 card is kinda ironic as turning on any DX10 eye candy generally lower the FPS to unplayable.

As above I suggest a 8800GT512MB at about $470 or maybe a newly released HD3850 $320 ish. Depending on your budget. If you really can't sneeze any more $$ for a 8800 GPU, then at least get the 8600GTS not the 8800Gt.

pctek
25-11-2007, 07:21 AM
Add to that there are Ini tweaks to allow Crysis DX9XP to run with 95%+ of the visuals of DX10 and faster than Vista DX10.

Yeah I added the tweaks.....It IS pretty. Not so sure about the game though - annoying cutscenes, way too much Korean and not enough alien.

HL2 remains my favourite.

Agent_24
25-11-2007, 12:15 PM
Theres Many Socket 939 CPU's Still Available, Even In NZ, I'm Not Upgrading My Mobo.

My Graphics Card Budget Is Around $200, I Can Get A Graphics Card Like 8600GT 512MB For This Much. I'm Just Looking For A Gaming System, Not Top Of The Line Nex Gen Crysis Machine. Thanks Heaps.

An 8600GT is fine, 512MB even better - I've got a 8600GT 256MB and I can run all my current games fine. it's definitely miles better than an FX5200.

Get the 8600GT, get this CPU http://www.pbtechnz.com/index.php?item=CPUAMD8420

and get this ram: http://c1com.co.nz/shop/step1.php?number=6837

Ram is ~$20 less than $200, and the CPU is ~$20 more, so it should work out the same for your budget.

Then you can sell your old RAM/CPU/Video afterwards anyway.

Oh yeah, and if your motherboard needs a BIOS update to support the new CPU, you better do that before you take the old one out. (what is your motherboard make and model?)

JSF_enthusiast
25-11-2007, 12:32 PM
My advice would be to get the cheaper 8600 card now, Why? because eventually you will make a move to Direct X 10 or 10.1. The reality is NONE of the current 8 series cards will be strong enough to adequately support the true direct X 10 games. Just look at the minimum requirements of the current direct X 9 graphics supremo's. Call of Duty 4 is asking for at least a mid range 6 series card, recommending a high 7 seven series's. In a years time when the first true direct x games come out they will be asking for the high end 8 series cards as an absolute minimum. You are better to save your penny's now, and when around the time a nvidia 9 or perhaps even 10 series comes out go for one of those.

I have never recommended someone get a high end card, instead get a mid range one at half the price (generally) and in a years or two time upgrade to a new mid range. The high end cards do give you a little extra performance, but I don't believe it to be worth it.

CaptainVincent
25-11-2007, 02:26 PM
MS-7184 (AmethystM) Is My Motherboard.

Agent_24
25-11-2007, 03:27 PM
http://www.google.co.nz/search?hl=en&q=MS-7184+BIOS&meta=

This is interesting, you probably don't need to upgrade but it looks like there are some good bios mods available

Battleneter2
25-11-2007, 05:48 PM
My advice would be to get the cheaper 8600 card now, Why? because eventually you will make a move to Direct X 10 or 10.1. The reality is NONE of the current 8 series cards will be strong enough to adequately support the true direct X 10 games. Just look at the minimum requirements of the current direct X 9 graphics supremo's. Call of Duty 4 is asking for at least a mid range 6 series card, recommending a high 7 seven series's. In a years time when the first true direct x games come out they will be asking for the high end 8 series cards as an absolute minimum. You are better to save your penny's now, and when around the time a nvidia 9 or perhaps even 10 series comes out go for one of those.

I have never recommended someone get a high end card, instead get a mid range one at half the price (generally) and in a years or two time upgrade to a new mid range. The high end cards do give you a little extra performance, but I don't believe it to be worth it.

You have to understand Resolution and quality of effects (eye candy) comes into this issue. Sure even a series 6 card can run COD4 at 1024x768 at lower medium details, however its going to look like crap.

The 8800's run in DX9 mode at LEAST double the frame rate of a 8600GT same resolution/eyecandy settings. Add to that the 8600GT is slower than many 7 series cards like the 7900GT in most games.

Plenty of reviews to google, and to be fair they are cheaper now, but I can never recommend a 8600GT as a gaming card, I would rather have say a 7950GT.

http://www.legitreviews.com/article/486/9/
http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2970&p=8

You get what you pay for with video cards no question, you just have to be sure you won't regret going higher now in 6 months time.

Yeah I added the tweaks.....It IS pretty. Not so sure about the game though - annoying cutscenes, way too much Korean and not enough alien.

HL2 remains my favourite.

Yea it looks awsome. I agree the game itself is a "small" letdown, still one of the best games of the year.

There are other factors like, piddling around destroying building etc is pretty fun, also Crysis is highly modable, so hopefully we will see tons of community content.