PDA

View Full Version : USB Pen Drives

Lurking
23-11-2007, 05:04 PM
What is a good brand of Pen Drive, size and value for money.

Apacer 4gb $89.00
Myflash 4gb $69.00

Thanks for any advice.

Lurking.

bevy121
23-11-2007, 05:18 PM
PB Tech are doing 2 gig for 20 bucks at the mo I think

*EDIT*
No sorry - thats only a special here in Dunedin - the usual price is about $28.00 incl

Speedy Gonzales
23-11-2007, 05:19 PM
Havent tried either. I use a Sandisk U3 here myself.

Only because you can password protect it, and store programs on it.

bob_doe_nz
23-11-2007, 06:31 PM
I would also take into consideration which store you buy it from. That is if you want some kind of warranty.

wainuitech
23-11-2007, 07:07 PM
You really need to shop around and actually ask what the warranty is - some have longer than others. I Use These here (http://www.bdt.co.nz/computer/product.asp?item=370620) & Here 8Gb (http://www.bdt.co.nz/computer/product.asp?item=370624) form my vendor - 5 year warranty - water resistant and shock protection, they bounch quite well :rolleyes: and dont break.

Greven
23-11-2007, 07:47 PM
You really need to shop around and actually ask what the warranty is - some have longer than others. I Use These here (http://www.bdt.co.nz/computer/product.asp?item=370620) & Here 8Gb (http://www.bdt.co.nz/computer/product.asp?item=370624) form my vendor - 5 year warranty - water resistant and shock protection, they bounch quite well :rolleyes: and dont break.

I used to have a flashvoyager GT until it was killed by someone who didn't wire up their front USB correctly. It was a very good flash drive - fast, robust & not that easy to lose :)

JUST INSANE
23-11-2007, 08:02 PM
I recommend the Kingston ones they have better paired memory controllers.
As this boosts speed of both small file and big file transfers.
Flashvoyager gt has problems transfering small files as it is very slow in benchmarks.

wainuitech
23-11-2007, 08:07 PM
I used to have a flashvoyager GT until it was killed by someone who didn't wire up their front USB correctly. It was a very good flash drive - fast, robust & not that easy to lose :) OUCH - sinking feeling when you get the error message - the device has failed :( Had the same thing happen with my 2Gb drive on someones PC.

Lurking
23-11-2007, 09:05 PM
Guys, thanks for those suggestions.

Speedy the Scandisk looks great with the Password protection, only from Aussie is it.

Wai the 8gb would hold both wifey's and my data, she has 14mb card photos to carry around, we can shout each other for xmas!.

Lurks.

Speedy Gonzales
24-11-2007, 05:45 AM
Guys, thanks for those suggestions.

Speedy the Sandisk looks great with the Password protection, only from Aussie is it.

Lurks.

Nope, I got mine that the road. Theyre available in NZ.

Looks like Kingston (and most probably other companies) make U3 flash drives too.

Only thing is, if u buy one, and pw protect it (and you forgot the pw), it'll delete whats on it. This is a security feature lol.

Lurking
24-11-2007, 08:39 AM
Speedy, my password is easy to remember, but wifey would have problems!.

Will ask around for shops selling Scandisk.

Thnx.

Lurks.

Speedy Gonzales
24-11-2007, 08:42 AM
Sandisk NOT Scandisk.

Any U3 flash drive, should support it.

kahawai chaser
24-11-2007, 11:23 AM
I want to get one as well, not sure what size yet. According to my engadget newsletter, a 16 GB pen drive was released earlier this year. Any one know much about these, and their availability here?

Speedy Gonzales
24-11-2007, 11:42 AM
Here's one (http://www.edencomputers.co.nz/p.aspx?408910)

But theyre out of stock, and not cheap either.

steveroby
27-11-2007, 12:41 PM
PB Tech are doing 2 gig for 20 bucks at the mo I think

*EDIT*
No sorry - thats only a special here in Dunedin - the usual price is about $28.00 incl

I bought one (2G ~ $20)
Cheap & nasty
Only $20 thou.....I didnt expect quality
Dont buy them off trademe either.. (I learnt the hard way, unreliable and/or faked brands)

Misty
27-11-2007, 06:42 PM
I bought one (2G ~ $20)
Cheap & nasty
Only $20 thou.....I didnt expect quality
Dont buy them off trademe either.. (I learnt the hard way, unreliable and/or faked brands)
Yesterday I bought an Apacer 1 Gig for $20. Was offered a special - 2 Gigs for the same price..........but kept away from the no-brand name and kept to what is known. What would I do with the extra Gig ?? Got to ask yourself the question -- is it all about size ?
Misty :cool:

motorbyclist
27-11-2007, 09:23 PM
I used to have a flashvoyager GT until it was killed by someone who didn't wire up their front USB correctly. It was a very good flash drive - fast, robust & not that easy to lose :)

argh i had that, they only warned me after i used it (and they watched me do it too). so i put some tape over the socket until i could be bothered re-wiring it, and went home to see if the stick would still work as on their computer it would cause beeps and give some error about a power surge:badpc:

stick then proceeded to bugger my usb controller on my motherboard, leaving me with a pc using usb mouse, but with no working USB ports:horrified

all i could say was it was time for an upgrade anyway:( - their computer was fine but for the usb i never got around to rewiring for them

Sandisk NOT Scandisk.
exactly what i was thinkng:thumbs:

i've bought off trademe and from shops, both transcend and Adata, and no problems here

Grimy
01-12-2007, 10:19 PM
My U3 drive is a Kingston, bought from a shop on Trade Me. Never had a problem with it.