PDA

View Full Version : Ram speed improvement--or no?

effie c
23-11-2007, 10:48 AM
Hi,
:blush:
I have just installed a second 512 mb ram stick-ie a matched set,making 1.24 gb- on the advice of a lot of people who should know.
Question ! was the speed result anything gained- answer! perhaps, just perhaps, a little.
I was at a public meeting yesterday and there too I was told of exactly the same sentiments by an associate
:rolleyes:
Now my XP Pro is running on dual chanel as was predicted as against single- but then what do I get?
I have XP Pro
3.02 cpu,40 gb h/d sp1 and 2 etc etc etc
O K I have sold my original 512 mb stick- and it should be well worth the buyer's while to use it as it never let me down, so I am not seriously out of pocket
Comments please?

:(
effie c

drcspy
23-11-2007, 11:21 AM
errrrr..........how do you get dual channel out of 1.24gb ? you need to run two matched sticks to get dual channel....and as for upgrading from say 768mb to 1.5gb the difference may be negligible...I run a little meter in my system tray which shows how much free ram there is in the system .......at the mo i'm runnin 1.5gb which is far too much cause theres always over 700mb free and often over 1gb (xp home ) perhaps you should have done the same before you bought some more ram ? Indeed if you had 768 or more before and run just 'ordinary' apps then you'd most likely have noticed there was little need for more ram. Ram does not in and of itself necessarily increase the system speed - really it'll help if you are runnin out of ram and then the system will use the virtual mem system , (swapfile) which as it's located on the hdd is much slower to read from and write to than ram. In that case addin more ram will certainly speed up the system because reading/writing to ram is FAR faster than to a hdd.

pctek
23-11-2007, 12:01 PM
Lots of RAM is good for gaming.
Net, spreadsheets and emailing - nope.

drcspy
23-11-2007, 12:09 PM
yeh I REALLY only have the xtra ram so I can run virtualpc's easily...

effie c
23-11-2007, 02:12 PM
Hi
The ram, is a matched pair and in fact does show in start up that it is on dual chanel
The mere thought of gaming makes me say no to it- I am too old for that.
I play a lot of on-line chess ( e mail and website)-I surf the net and read but rarely download what I see
I don't mind the e mail being slow- the broadband download speed is a delight to watch and certainly no more speed needed.
To me I would be happier if the extra ram merely speeded up my various programs already installed on my pooter- really that was all I was asking for

drcspy, the total ram is 1.24 gb made up of two matched sticks- as you will see tomorrow ;)

It looks like the extra ram was an unecessary expenditure but, no matter- at my age perhaps I am rather gullible
:D

effie c

Agent_24
23-11-2007, 03:06 PM
2 X 512MB + 2 X 128MB both pairs in dual channel is the only way I can see it would make sense

effie c
23-11-2007, 03:37 PM
Hi,Agent_24
You've lost me now- I repeat as in original post,
I have just had installed ---2 matched sticks of ram ( ie 512 mb X 2) and on "start up" the dual chanel is shown on-screen, where as before it showed only"single chanel" on start up.
This is not a duo core set up, and the installer knows his skills and also come to that, said my speed would increase.
I only want my "installed programs, ie Word,Excell etc" to operate that bit faster and as I am happily on broadband I don't hanker after any faster downloads
Perhaps I am wrongly set up in the first place- in relation to the extra ram- I don't know
:badpc:
effie c

Agent_24
23-11-2007, 04:45 PM
I think you may have confused 1024MB with 1.24GB, they are different.

All I was really saying, was to answer drcspy's question "how do you get dual channel out of 1.24gb ?"

The only way you'd get that would be 2x128 and 2x512 in dual channel

Dual channel is certainly faster than single channel, but the speed increase in simple tasks such as word processing may not be noticable

effie c
23-11-2007, 05:18 PM
Hi Agent_24
Thank you- I stand corrected and mortified:waughh:

O K I goofed- at my age that can happen-
still I would like to see the greater speed as promised by using dual channel and 1024 mb ram
Effie c

Sweep
23-11-2007, 05:39 PM
Hi Agent_24

still I would like to see the greater speed as promised by using dual channel and 1024 mb ram
Effie c

Who promised?

OK you have 1 Gig RAM. 2 x 512.

Office programs like word and excel will not notice the difference.

Do you use an onboard graphic card? If so this will use on board RAM.

With a 40 Gig hard drive it may be running at 5400 rpm rather than 7200 or more.

Speedy Gonzales
23-11-2007, 07:17 PM
Download speed has nothing to do with more ram. I wish it did, but it doesnt

That depends on WHAT isp youre with, whether its peak hour or something.

Or the site / country you're downloading files from.

Dual channel / more ram may speed booting up, and let u open more programs up, thats about it.

BUt yup there is a diff between the rpm of a hdd - 5400 compared to 7200.

My flatmate used to have a 5400 it was slower than a snail. Till I changed it.

drcspy
23-11-2007, 09:25 PM
ah.......

and yes/no I didn't pick up on that 40gb drive that'll be a 5400rpm for sure...

Agent_24
23-11-2007, 11:01 PM
Hi Agent_24

Effie c

Theoretically RAM in dual channel should be able to move data twice as fast as single channel (64 vs 128 bit), and yours will definitely be faster there - when I upgraded to dual channel I noticed my speeds went up significantly in everest benchmarks, and system was a little faster overall too (setting ram to 1T command rate also made quite an improvement)

In your case though, with just office apps etc you may not notice much of a difference, any speed gained may just be from the amount of ram, not the speed

But overall whoever said it would speed up was telling the truth. Technically your RAM is now faster.

As for the hard drive, there is no guarantee that being 40GB it is 5400RPM. I have a 40GB Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 8 (6E040L0 if anyone wants to check)which is 7200 RPM, ATA 133. It runs pretty sweet actually :D

drcspy
24-11-2007, 02:37 PM
AND........for the interest of the thread watchers on this one

i've just been to effie_c's place and picked up his 'old' ram which i'd co-incidentally purchased from him on trademe (thanks mate haven't bothered to stuff it in the pc yet to try it but I will)

anyway I ran a benchmark at effie_c's place using aida32 on his dual channel KVR pc3200 512mb cl3 ram and when I got home I ran a benchmark on my system which has 3x twinmos pc3200 512mb cl2.5 sticks. My ram does NOT run dual channel as the mobo cant do it I have a p4S800 (didn't take notice of what ram effie_c had......Heres the results:

effie_c mem read 5029
My mem read 2365

effie_c mem write 1874
My mem write 989

as you can see the dual channel is MUCH faster !

effie c
24-11-2007, 05:13 PM
Hi drcspy et al,

Yes I have to eat cold tongue:yuck:

My speed and everything connected with this problem- shows me as an unnecessary grump- I have indeed got double your speed, and I might add it was a pleasure to meet a longtime contributor to F1, who taught me several things- and I must say I must be thankful for what I have and have learned.
Also others who contributed, each had useful advice, from which I learned- and again thank you

effie c

Agent_24
24-11-2007, 06:22 PM
as you can see the dual channel is MUCH faster !

That's the idea :thumbs: and also why I have it :D

drcspy
24-11-2007, 06:56 PM
edit:

didn't take notice of what ram effie_c had

ram ?........arrggghhh......yeh no it' was the motherboard make/model....I didn't pay attention to lol.........