PDA

View Full Version : Any wireless networking experts here?

Joe_Davies
22-11-2007, 07:32 PM
Hi,

I need to connect my laptop to my desktop via an Excell Wireless Access Point and a nine port ethernet hub. Both computers are running Windows XP Service Pack 2, and the laptop has a wireless adapter card.

The only instructions I have are as follows:

"you have to set your computer to 192.168.1.X and then connect it to the
access point and use your browser to administor it on 192.168.1.100."

What I need is someone who can translate that into some step by step instructions.

For instance, by "set your computer", does the guy mean I have to type that IP address into my browser? Into the network places dialogue? What? And what about the X ...?

Anyway, sorry if this seems like a no-brainer to you, I guess I'm the one with no brains.

Any help - particularly of the "first do this, then do this" type - would be much appreciated.

Joe Davies

Speedy Gonzales
22-11-2007, 07:47 PM
If you go to my network places (if the icon is on the desktop).

View network connections, select the wireless adapter here / right mouse / properties / TCP/IP / General tab.

I think he's talking about here.

Change it to use the following ip.

Type in 192.168.1.x (this depends on WHAT the valid ip addresses are for the Access point).

If its 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.100, the X can be anything between 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.100. So you could type in 192.168.1.2

And under default gateway, type in 192.168.1.100 (or whatever the default ip address is for the Access Point).

And whatever computer, the Access point is connected to, you type 192.168.1.100 in Internet Explorer to log into the Access point's configuration (I take it its got one). I dont know what the default password is, it should be in the manual.

So, you can configure it between the Access point and the computer's wireless adapter.

Did the wireless adapter on the computer come with drivers?? And can you configure it by using the drivers??

You may have to use the Wireless Network Wizard in control panel.

And if both support encryption (WPA or better), enable it on both. Both will need keys.

Joe_Davies
15-12-2007, 12:18 PM
Sorry to have taken so long to check this out. My computer blew up in the meantime ...

Speedy, when I view network connections as per your helpful instructions above, the WAP doesn't appear.

I have it plugged into an ethernet hub (which seems to be working as my cable modem is also plugged into it), but there is nothing in my connections list.

Any advice?

Joe Davies

Speedy Gonzales
15-12-2007, 12:53 PM
Well, the only place (If youre using WPA - I think this is what you meant by WAP?) is in the Wireless network setup wizard.

Other than that, the AP should have the option., in its config.

Dont know what u can do, if the drivers for whatever hasnt got the WPA / encryption in its config.

You'll have to use the Wireless network setup wizard to configure it.

Why connect it with ethernet, if you're going to use wireless?

Use one or the other.

The main thing with wireless is:

The adapters should have the same SSID, and hopefully be on the same channel. And have the same workgroup name.

And encrypted with the same key, and WEP/WPA or whatever.

And under the Wireless adapter properties, whats it on now?? On auto, or have u put the ip addresses in manually?

You'll also have to configure whatever firewall (if its not XP's firewall).

plod
15-12-2007, 01:42 PM
Sorry to have taken so long to check this out. My computer blew up in the meantime ...

Speedy, when I view network connections as per your helpful instructions above, the WAP doesn't appear.

I have it plugged into an ethernet hub (which seems to be working as my cable modem is also plugged into it), but there is nothing in my connections list.

Any advice?

Joe Davies

Open up webbrowser( internet explorer). type the ip address in your address bar, this should bring up your AP configuration page

Joe_Davies
17-12-2007, 11:41 AM
Thanks.

I just get "connection timed out" when I type in the IP number.

The reason I have the Wireless Access Point (WAP) plugged into an ethernet hub is that my PC has no wireless adapter card.

I thought if I had a WAP was to avoid having to buy one.

I guess I'm showing my ignorance, but do I still need a wireless network adapter for my PC? And if I get one, do I still need the WAP?

Joe Davies

Speedy Gonzales
17-12-2007, 11:52 AM
Hmm, does the WAP have ethernet ports on it??

If it does, u could try plugging the WAP into the port on the desktop, then plug the hub into that. Do you need the hub anyway?

Create a folder on the desktop and laptop. Call it anything. And share it.

Make sure file sharing is enabled on both.

This will save you typing in an ip. If you want to access either.

WHAT exactly do you want to share anyway??

Just a folder on both? If so, do the above.

Joe_Davies
19-12-2007, 04:20 PM
Thanks Speedy,

You have the patience of a saint!

Yep, the WAP has an ethernet port, and I'm running an RJ-45 cable from there to my ethernet hub.

My ethernet hub is connected to the ethernet card on my desktop PC, also via RJ-45 cable.

The cable modem is also connected to the hub (you guessed it, via RJ-45 cable).

Should work all right, no?

What I'm trying to share is the internet connection (ie cable modem). I want to get on the internet through both my laptop and my PC (not necessarily at the same time - although that would be nice - but at least without having to change cables).

At present I can access the internet on my desktop or, if I switch cables, from my laptop, but not both - not without switching cables.

The Wireless Access Point is just sitting there and doesn't seem to be doing anything useful! Can't see it in either computer.

I'll try what you suggested and report back.

Appreciate your time.

Joe Davies

Joe_Davies
26-12-2007, 10:49 AM
Hi again,

I can't plug the Wireless Access Point into the desktop PC's network card direct, since then I have nowhere to plug in my hub (there's only one socket in the WAP). And since I want to share the internet connection, that means I have no modem.

Hmmmm ...

Maybe I'll just have to get a wireless network adaptor for the desktop?

Joe Davies

Speedy Gonzales
26-12-2007, 10:53 AM
You could get a wireless adapter, but depending on how far apart these things are, you may not get far without some kind of access point.

Unless you get a wireless adapter that also acts as an AP.

Actually I would biff all of that and get a wireless modem/router.

Which will give u 4 ports and wireless, and it'll have an AP built in.

Joe_Davies
27-12-2007, 10:34 AM
Thanks Speedy,

I do have a Wireless Access Point, it's plugged in to an ethernet router, which is plugged in to my desktop. My cable modem is also plugged in to the router, but nothing seems to work.

Oh well.

Thanks for all your help, I've really appreciated it.

I'll let you know if I ever get it sorted.

Joe Davies

linw
27-12-2007, 11:20 PM
Blimey, talk about going all around it!

You have the physical connections correct. Your laptop talks to the AP via radio which in turn talks to the router via the cable, your desktop talks to the router via the ethernet cable and the router acts as the go-between.

You have to get all the IP addresses in the same subnet for starters. Apart from the AP (192.168.1.100), I didn't see you stating what IP addresses are being used.

On both the laptop and the desktop, get to the command prompt (All Programs/Accessories). In the black box type ipconfig /all and hit enter. What IP address and gateway address are displayed?

Report back on this info.

(Believe me, there are dozens of good sites explaining all this if you let google at it. Reading some of these will help you).

Chilling_Silence
28-12-2007, 08:55 AM
Actually they dont have to be on the same Subnet.
My brother had a D-Link DSL-302g (*shudder*) and it was already up and running. He bought a Linksys WRT150n from DSE at the same time as he got his Laptop (DSE offered good finance options).
The DSL-302g (10.1.1.1) is set as a DHCP server from 10.1.1.3 -> 10.1.1.10
Hook up the "ADSL" port in the WRT150n (192.168.1.1) to the back of the DSL-302g and tell it to obtain its WAN IP address via DHCP. No fuss there.
Then, tell the WRT150n to ALSO server DHCP but between 192.168.1.10 & 192.168.1.20

Point is that the 192.168.1.X and 10.1.1.X are on different subnets and it works fine ;)

I think Speedys advice of an "all-in-one" device is good advice. Qmb do cheap Dynalink ones that work well enough :) It'll save the hassle of becoming a TCP/IP Networking guru ;)

Joe_Davies
31-12-2007, 03:06 PM
Blimey, talk about going all around it!

You have the physical connections correct. Your laptop talks to the AP via radio which in turn talks to the router via the cable, your desktop talks to the router via the ethernet cable and the router acts as the go-between.

You have to get all the IP addresses in the same subnet for starters. Apart from the AP (192.168.1.100), I didn't see you stating what IP addresses are being used.

On both the laptop and the desktop, get to the command prompt (All Programs/Accessories). In the black box type ipconfig /all and hit enter. What IP address and gateway address are displayed?

Report back on this info.

(Believe me, there are dozens of good sites explaining all this if you let google at it. Reading some of these will help you).

Hi,

This is the information I get from the above instructions:

Ethernet Adaptor Local Area Connection:

IP address: 203.79.68.179
Default Gateway: 203.96.152.4

This is the connection to TelstraClear's cable internet service.

The others are Tunnel adapter addresses.

Is this any help?

Joe Davies

Sherman
31-12-2007, 03:39 PM
A question.

Do you know if your cable modem or your hub have NAT? (I doubt that the hub would)
If not (and by the look of the IP address you're getting from the cable modem/hub that you don't, then you will either need to get a router (which will have NAT) or set up internet connection sharing on the desktop to be able to share your internet connection.

porkster
31-12-2007, 03:40 PM
Actually they dont have to be on the same Subnet.
My brother had a D-Link DSL-302g (*shudder*) and it was already up and running. He bought a Linksys WRT150n from DSE at the same time as he got his Laptop (DSE offered good finance options).
The DSL-302g (10.1.1.1) is set as a DHCP server from 10.1.1.3 -> 10.1.1.10
Hook up the "ADSL" port in the WRT150n (192.168.1.1) to the back of the DSL-302g and tell it to obtain its WAN IP address via DHCP. No fuss there.
Then, tell the WRT150n to ALSO server DHCP but between 192.168.1.10 & 192.168.1.20

Point is that the 192.168.1.X and 10.1.1.X are on different subnets and it works fine ;)

I think Speedys advice of an "all-in-one" device is good advice. Qmb do cheap Dynalink ones that work well enough :) It'll save the hassle of becoming a TCP/IP Networking guru ;)

I would think he would need all the IP addresses on the same LAN as he has an wireless access point and not a wireless router.

Computer 1 should be 192.168.1.2 & subnet mask 255.255.255.0
and Default gateway 192.168.1.1

Computer 2 ethernet interface should be 192.168.1.3 & subnet mask 255.255.255.0 and Default gateway 192.168.1.1 and should be disabled when using wireless.

and for Wireless Network interface should be 192.168.1.4 & subnet mask 255.255.255.0 and Default gateway 192.168.1.1

Internet Modem should be 192.168.1.1 & subnet mask 255.255.255.0

Wireless Access point should be 192.168.1.100 & subnet mask 255.255.255.0
(this is solely for administration).

Try that to start with.

Note: all computers point to the Internet modem as default gateway.
All computers are on the same LAN.

Hope this is a help

wainuitech
31-12-2007, 05:17 PM
The reason its not working is simply because you have Telstras Modem and trying to push the connection out through a Hub, You need a router, with a Wireless Access point built in, or you can plug in your Access point. The access point will work from a router fine if its plugged into one of the 4 ports. A hub simply wont work direct from the Modem or PC.

It needs to go Internet>Modem>Router > connect to PC's

The modem is only giving out 1 Address, the PC can act as a router but its a LOT of mucking about with additional network cards. I have the exact same setup with Telstra, off of the 4 port ROUTER is 3 x 5 port switches(hubs) all feeding multi PC's, My router has a wireless Access point built in, but there are other access points spread through out the house/workshop with wireless access points plugged into the switches - all Being fed by the ROUTER.In this drawing (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/Network.JPG) is a rather crude layout of how it needs to be.

The Modem gets your Address from telstra, the Router then has the Address entered eg: 203. ???.???.??? with the default gateways being 203.96.125.4 & 203.96.152.12, THEN the router changes them and give you your network addresses of 192.168.1.??.

You set the PC through the LAN connections to obtain IP address automatically, (or you can set them to static) If the wireless access Point is a separate plugin you open your browser, type in its address, in this case http://192.168.1.100, and there you can set its SSID (identity), your laptop when scanning will pick up the Signal and you log in. THEN go back and set the Security on the access point, set up the connection with no security to make sure it works first.

Joe_Davies
31-12-2007, 05:43 PM
Sorry, you must think I'm really thick ... (you're prob'ly right!).

So you're saying I need to buy a router? The hub won't do the job?

There's no way I can do this without a router and I don't need to get a wireless adaptor card for the desktop?

Just want to be clear.

Thanks for all the input, you guys are really helpful!

Joe Davies

wainuitech
31-12-2007, 06:18 PM
to answer your first comment

Sorry, you must think I'm really thick ... (you're prob'ly right!).

FAR from it - you are asking a question because you are having problems - thats the way to learn.

The rest - if you have Telstrsa Cable it supplies 1 IP address only from the modem, the simplest way to set it up is to attach a Router to the Modem, which has 4 ports.

The router can have your already purchased Access point plugged into it as long as it has a RJ45 Plug, and not a USB. Leaving 3 ports to attach other pc's.

The router takes the 1 Address issued from Telstra and splits it up to allow more than 1 PC to connect at a time, up to 254 different PC's - The Hub More or less ( for simple terms) doesn't really split the address.

What you can do is attach a router to the Modem, your access point to the Router, then PC to the router, your hub to another port and then you will have additional ports spare if required.

BE careful with what you buy, the product you want is a Broadband Router, NOT an ADSL router. You don't have to get the most expensive, I have tried many different brands and the one I have found to last the longest is This one here (http://www.anywarenz.co.nz/Browse/8e30509e61b44d66ba7588dbca2f0878001ItemDetail.aspx ) for a low price of about $95.00. Lasted 2 years so far never a problem, and it has a wireless Access point built in.

A broadband Router like the one above has a port for the Telstra modem cable, called a Ethernet Port, the ADSL has a plug for the telephone line - two completely different ports.

Example ( technical stuff )
How does the it get 254 from 4 ports - easy out - of 1 port you connect a switch, these range usually from 5 - 32 port, so from 1 router port you can connect 32 connections, the Router detects these and issues addresses as needed - to expand this you have 3 more ports - you can do the same again, so if you had 4 32 port switches theres 128 connections, then add in more switches from each of the 32 till you get to 254.

wainuitech
31-12-2007, 06:38 PM
Sorry Missed 1 bit - you don't need to get a wireless adapter for the Desktop, you only need to purchase a wireless adapter for the Laptop IF it doesn't have wireless built in. Something LikeThis here (http://www.anywarenz.co.nz/Browse/d5762b6d0fa247bcaf8103e9a355ddc9001ItemDetail.aspx ) if required.

If you have any question done hesitate to ask.

notechyet
01-01-2008, 06:36 AM
Joe_Davies
Have a look at this (http://practicallynetworked.com/support/troubleshoot_index.htm) website, it has network answers.
NT

porkster
02-01-2008, 09:48 PM
Most ADSL modems are really routers and should work fine with a hub.

wainuitech
02-01-2008, 09:51 PM
Most ADSL modems are really routers and should work fine with a hub.
The persons connection is Telstra's cable - totally different router.

porkster
02-01-2008, 10:01 PM
Joe_Davies,
What type of ADSL modem do you have?, my guess would be RTA 1320.

wainuitech
02-01-2008, 11:06 PM
Joe_Davies,
What type of ADSL modem do you have?, my guess would be RTA 1320. Read post 11 & 14 , its a Telstra CABLE modem - which WILL NOT work on a ADSL router - Telstra modems need a RJ45 connection or USB :yuck: - ADSL requires a telephone RJ12 Plug - totally different.:groan:

I've seen many people purchase a ADSL router then wonder why it wont work with Tesltra's Cable. - Wrong device. Put in a Broadband CABLE router, set the IP details and it will work perfectly. EASY!

Joe_Davies
07-01-2008, 02:26 PM
Well, you are quite right. I got a Belkin Router and now it all works fine!

Wish I'd spent the extra $$ in the first place and got a router/WAP.

Never mind, we got there in the end, and I'm very grateful to all who helped.

You guys are great!

Joe Davies