PDA

View Full Version : Gmail attachment problem

Billy T
22-11-2007, 03:36 PM
Hi Team

I recently set my son up with a Gmail account to keep his Bebo traffic out of my mailbox. So far so good on that front, but he wants to email a friend and include a file as an attachment but the "attach a file" link in the "compose a message" window appears to be dead.

I have fired up my own Gmail account and tried to send myself a test file with attachment but get the same result i.e. clicking on the link doesn't open anything. I've read the help file and also read recent posts on the subject in Gmail but can't see any answer.

All I want to do is browse to the file location to attach it as I would in Outlook, but no joy. Is there a trick to this in some way, or am I overlooking something so simple that we'll both want to cry when we see it?

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :confused: :confused: :confused:

Erayd
22-11-2007, 03:44 PM
When you click that link, a text fiels and a browse button should appear directly below it.

Which browser are you using?

Are you using the old version of GMail or the new one? A new version was released recently, but not to all accounts.

Speedy Gonzales
22-11-2007, 03:45 PM
Create the account in OE.

Altho, last time I tried a SMALL file from Gmail, it complained about the size.

Dont know if this was only coz it was an exe file, which Gmail doesnt like.

Billy T
22-11-2007, 04:13 PM
When you click that link, a text fiels and a browse button should appear directly below it. Nothing, zero, zip appears.

Which browser are you using?
IE 6.**

Are you using the old version of GMail or the new one? A new version was released recently, but not to all accounts. No idea, I just access via the Google mail link and set em up. My one has been going for a long time, his is new.

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :confused:

SurferJoe46
22-11-2007, 04:48 PM
Even if you take a file extension that GMail doesn't like and try to squeak it through by winrar or winzip or some other compression, it will balk and tell you that you can't send that type of file. I even tried to zip/rar/zip again and it found it out.

I think this limit is on .dll's too.

Sometimes it says nothing though..frustration! :badpc:

If the file's too big..it'll just grind and grind and never get uploaded.

There are limits to GMail on the upload side.

If the file is a video, YouTube allows up to 10 minute long files to be uploaded now.

gary67
22-11-2007, 05:28 PM
I have just successfully sent a picture attachment from gmail to my ihug address
so my attachments are getting through. I run both addresses in outlook 03

Billy T
22-11-2007, 10:46 PM
Fundamentally the problem is that the link in Gmail is non-functional. It is not blocking something I am trying to do in that sense, I can't even get to select a file for attachment. Gmail works fine otherwise for ordinary messages when I don't want attachments.

When I right-click and check properties , it doesn't even look like a link to anything useful. This is what I see:

http://mail.google.com/mail/?ui=1&view=page&name=gp&ver=sh3fib53pgpk

It is odd that it affects two computers in exactly the same way. I think I'll try sending the desired email and attachment to my son's Gmail address using another of my addresses, then see if I can forward it from his Gmail to the wanted recipient. I want it to go with my son's address as the sender to avoid further confusion.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

beama
23-11-2007, 07:51 AM
Billy
Just stab in the Dark

Are you running the latest java version

autechre
23-11-2007, 08:16 AM
Billy
Just stab in the Dark

Are you running the latest java version

GMail doesnt use Java at all. You may be confusing it with JavaScript which is totally different.

My only suggestion is if you're using IE, make sure Gmail is in your Trusted Sites while you try to send attachments. You can remove it later.

Erayd
23-11-2007, 08:50 AM
When I right-click and check properties , it doesn't even look like a link to anything useful. This is what I see:

http://mail.google.com/mail/?ui=1&view=page&name=gp&ver=sh3fib53pgpkYou can't send us a link to your inbox and expect it to work. Can you post a screenshot please?

Morgenmuffel
23-11-2007, 09:34 AM
Billy

try switching your gmail viewing to "Basic HTML", it's right down the bottom of the page

Basic HTML works without using javascript and as such the attachements box is visible by default

Have a look here of what should happen in standard view (it uses javascript)
http://nigel.geek.nz/billyT.html

just as a point of interest have you tried an alternate browser

Billy T
23-11-2007, 10:47 AM
You can't send us a link to your inbox and expect it to work. Can you post a screenshot please?

You misunderstand, that is exactly what the link properties are when I right click the "attach a file" link and select "properties" i.e. it goes nowhere but my inbox.

I would have expected it to take me to the file attachment function!!

For what it's worth my Java is not the latest.

I'll fire up the laptop later and see what that does. If it does the same then it is a possibly Gmail problem in relation to a file version on my computers. I don't update everything, just the security items because if it ain't broke I see no reason to fix it.

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :confused: :waughh:

Morgenmuffel
23-11-2007, 11:48 AM
You misunderstand, that is exactly what the link properties are when I right click the "attach a file" link and select "properties" i.e. it goes nowhere but my inbox.

I would have expected it to take me to the file attachment function!!

what happens when you left click the attach file link, it won't open anything but a text box should appear where the link was

For what it's worth my Java is not the latest.

You shouldn't need to update anything on the computer the attachments text box is controlled by Javascript which has absolutely nothing to do with java,

have you tried using the basic html option, or adding gmail to your trusted sites as mentioned earlier

Erayd
23-11-2007, 12:03 PM
You misunderstand, that is exactly what the link properties are when I right click the "attach a file" link and select "properties" i.e. it goes nowhere but my inbox.That is as it should be - remember that Javascript usually doesn't care what the link points to - most webapps will use the onclick event for the link rather than the href.

I would have expected it to take me to the file attachment function!!It should, but note that the file attachment thingy appears just below the link, not in a new window. See Nigel's screenshots for what should appear.

For what it's worth my Java is not the latest.As has been said before, GMail does not use Java!. It uses JavaScript, which is a totally different language with no similarity whatsoever to Java. Is JavaScript enabled?

I'll fire up the laptop later and see what that does. If it does the same then it is a possibly Gmail problem in relation to a file version on my computers. I don't update everything, just the security items because if it ain't broke I see no reason to fix it.Can you post a screenshot of your inbox please? This will allow me to determine which version of GMail you are using, as the newer version has some bugs in it.

As Nigel says, switching to 'Basic HTML' mode will allow you to attach files, but it's an utter pain to use.

Which browser are you using, and which version of that browser?

Marnie
26-11-2007, 10:23 AM
I have a problem with Gmail that seems very similar to that of Billy T's.
Recently, an email with attachments was sent to my Gmail address. I could see the photographs in Gmail. I then forwarded it to my xtra address, as I wanted to use that medium to forward it to others. The email arrived without the photographs. I tried again, same result, the total kbs of the attachments came to well within the stated google standard limit.
In this case I thought the photographs were worth saving and I manually attached them to my outgoing email in outlook express. That went without a hitch.
I have never had a problem forwarding emails with attachments from Gmail in the past.
For test purposes I tried a new email, attached a photograph and sent to myself. That arrived in outlook express complete.
I am using the updated version of Gmail.
I have XP and IE7, and I tried forwarding using both IE7 and Mozilla.
Cheers,
Marnie

Billy T
26-11-2007, 11:09 AM
Curiouser and curiouser:

The link works fine on my laptop and a test file was sent and received OK.

The laptop is configured exactly the same as the two desktops and runs W2K/Outlook 2000/IE6.01. It uses the identical version of ZoneAlarm which is also configured the same.

On the other two computers the "Attach a file" link is simply dead i.e. it acts like blue text, not a hyperlink or whatever.

If there are different versions of Gmail around, can somebody tell me how to differentiate them please?

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :confused: :confused: :confused: :mad: