PDA

View Full Version : Is my screen dieing?

KiwiTek
22-11-2007, 03:30 PM
I have a 2 year old LCD monitor, which has started showing only a white screen when I first switch it on in the mornings (or any time after its been off for a while).

I find that if I leave it for a few minutes, I presume to warm up, and then switch it off and back on, it works fine. Picture and everything is still as good as always, once I have the picture.

I know on laptops this is often a dry joint problem with connections.. could this be the same deal? or something else?

Graham L
22-11-2007, 04:03 PM
Try the simplest thing first: unplug all the cables to the monitor. Then plug them in again.

KiwiTek
24-11-2007, 12:29 AM
that does nothing.. the screen is trying to display the image, you can see kind-of very light pink areas which change and move around the screen if you alt-tab through the applications and stuff.. but the screen remains white until it's warmed up and the image has been "re-connected" (either by power cycle of the monitor or pulling out of cable and plugging back in.

It looks just like a faulty connection on a laptop screen.. but the warming up part of this problem seems weird to me.

wainuitech
24-11-2007, 09:32 AM
What make of LCD is it - I know you said its 2 years old - Some LCD's come with a 3 year warranty - AOC for example, if it does then it may be able to be repaired / replaced under warranty.

KiwiTek
26-11-2007, 11:01 PM
It's a DSE no-name model. I just hunted out the book for it. It says 12 month warranty.

Agent_24
27-11-2007, 12:38 AM
Sounds faulty indeed, don't know what fault exactly.

Have you tried another PC / Monitor / Cable to make sure it's the monitor?

I don't regard DSE brand products as good quality. Whoever they get to make their cheap stuff in china, well - it's probably ECS .. :lol:

KiwiTek
30-11-2007, 08:32 PM
yes I have tried a different computer.. and the same thing happens.

Guess I'll have to save my coins for a new screen. :)

robbyp
01-12-2007, 11:43 AM
yes I have tried a different computer.. and the same thing happens.

Guess I'll have to save my coins for a new screen. :)

If you puchased it for personal use, you can get it replaced or fixed under the consumer guarantees act. A monitor should last a reasonable period of time and be of durable quality, and two years wouldn't be enough.

fnphoto
01-12-2007, 03:05 PM
Yesterday I connected a brand new 20" LCD monitor & it began intermitently flickering straight away. When I turned it on this morning all I got was a white screen, but no flickering. It was on the couriers within an hour back to the supplier - definately stuffed

KiwiTek
01-12-2007, 06:04 PM
If you puchased it for personal use, you can get it replaced or fixed under the consumer guarantees act. A monitor should last a reasonable period of time and be of durable quality, and two years wouldn't be enough.
It had a 1 year warrenty