PDA

View Full Version : Temperature and Fan Speed

katharinem
21-11-2007, 02:55 PM
Have a Dell Dimension 1200. The fan seems to be running a lot faster today - very hot temperatures here at the moment (28 - 29C in the shade) although breeze coming through the room. Case feels OK - no warm patches.) There is plenty of space behind computer. The other computer here in same room doesn't seem to be affected. How do you find out the current temperature of the modem? Thought it showed on the task manager?? What is the normal temperture supposed to be? If it is too hot what should I do? Clean the fan I guess - anything else? Thanks.

Speedy Gonzales
21-11-2007, 03:18 PM
28-29 is OK.

If it starts to overheat it should shut itself down. To protect it from frying.

I wouldnt worry too much about it.

You cant test a modem's heat. Most programs record the temp of the mobo or the CPU / processor. Which are the main components.

pctek
21-11-2007, 03:27 PM
Have a Dell Dimension 1200. The fan seems to be running a lot faster today - very hot temperatures here at the moment (28 - 29C in the shade) although breeze coming through the room. Case feels OK - no warm patches.) There is plenty of space behind computer. The other computer here in same room doesn't seem to be affected. How do you find out the current temperature of the modem? Thought it showed on the task manager?? What is the normal temperture supposed to be? If it is too hot what should I do? Clean the fan I guess - anything else? Thanks.

Modem: Modulator/demodulator - device for dialling up to the internet.

Hard Drive: Storage device for your operating system and files.

CPU: Main chip in the best that runs everything.

Computer: The main box that holds the above plus other components.

You can enter the BIOS and see what the temperature says, but like Speedy says, no big deal, its cool for a CPU temperature - which is what you are seeing probably.

Your fan probably has been set to run slower when the CPU is cool, and speeds up when it warms up.

aarathi
21-11-2007, 06:21 PM
You can even change a fan speed according to the temperature of your hard disk. You can use temperature sensor in your computer. but its main feature is that it can change fan speeds (depending on the capabilities of your sensor chip and your hardware) according to the temperatures inside your pc, thus reducing noise. Several sensors, like Winbond's and the AS99127F support fan speed changing, as well as others from Maxim, Myson, Analog Devices, National Semiconductor and ITE, but the hardware manufacturer must have connected the relevant pins to some additional, yet trivial, circuitry.