PDA

View Full Version : Bittorrent broadband questions

AMDdude
21-11-2007, 03:01 PM
Hi there,
I am currently on Xnets FLS Down/ 128 up plan, and have noticed slow donload speeds on populated torrents. I am wondering if moving the Xnets flood (FLS Down, FLS Up) plan would help my download speed.
I figure that I would get better dl speeds if I upload faster, but just thought I would check.
Also I would like to know what sort of speed I can be expecting for my max upload (I know this varies where you are, but still would be helpful to me)

My specs:
Utorrent 1.7.5
DSE Broadband Modem
I find that I get 420kBps max download, and 10kBps upload

Ty in advance
Kelly

Speedy Gonzales
21-11-2007, 03:09 PM
I doubt changing to flood will make any diff. Especially with torrents.

Most probably the amount of people on it at the time.

It may also depend on what ver of Windows. XP SP2 may slow things down, esp with P2P programs / torrents.

If youre getting 420, nothing wrong with that.

I'm getting that here (managed to get 495 the other day). Downloading one file.

But I dont use torrents. It's an easy way to get infected by something

But yup, my max for up at the mo is round 10-11.

Doesnt bother me too much for uploading tho. I only send files in IRC.

AMDdude
21-11-2007, 03:28 PM
Oh sorry Speedy,
I only usually get 100-150kBps on my torrents, but when Im dling from a website i get 420kBps
Just so thts clarified :stare:

Speedy Gonzales
21-11-2007, 03:33 PM
Could be where the torrent is as well / country.

I spose if it was closer to NZ or in NZ, it'd be faster.

Trev
21-11-2007, 03:35 PM
When I'm D/L torrents, I set the upload speed to 1kbps, because the upload speed is useage.
:)

kLOTTiS
21-11-2007, 05:07 PM
I usually get ~300kb/s off a decent http server but with bittorent I normally only get 30kb/s

Chilling_Silence
21-11-2007, 05:11 PM
If you're getting 400+ KB/s then be happy...
Im on Ihugs Full-speed down, 128KB/s up and I also get about the 350 --> 400KB/s

stephen
22-11-2007, 01:35 AM
I am on the FS/FS Xnet plan - I limit my upload to 80 KB/sec. Having full-speed upload does help your download speeds, its the difference between getting ~450 KB/sec with just 128kbps and up to 790 KB/sec (personal highest). I average around 600-650 KB/sec on torrents, anytime of day.

One thing XP SP2 does is limit the max amount of TCP connections to 10. there is a fix out there to allow you to change it to, say, 50, and then if you change your uTorrent settings to reflect this, speeds increase a lot.

Nermal
22-11-2007, 10:33 AM
Check that all the appropriate ports are forwarded correctly. I get 500-700 KB/s on populated torrents, on a FS/FS TelstraClear DSL connection. I'm using Azureus.

Battleneter2
22-11-2007, 02:50 PM
When I'm D/L torrents, I set the upload speed to 1kbps, because the upload speed is useage.
:)

This post is the main answer to slower torrent speeds and here is why.

Public tracker = Slower as people limit there upload speeds BUT you do not have to give back, hence 10000 seeders and only 5000 leechers can still only be 150KB/s

Private trackers = Fast as there is no point limiting upload speeds due to a share ratio, BUT you have to give back, hence you can hit your max pipe speed with maybe only 300seeders and 600 leechers.

With my 10MB cable connection I can nearly always max out my connection within a few minutes of starting a torrent on a "private tracker" (1000-1100KB/s).

Same broadband connection on a "Public tracker" anywhere usually between 30-300KB/s depending on the tracker and torrent.

**this is not an exact science, "some" public torrents can be pretty fast, really depends on how popular and how old it is etc.

Location has little to do with speed as peers are usually from all over the world.

Also some ISP's in NZ shape P2P traffic, so this comes into play, and port forwarding can effect things.

Term_X
22-11-2007, 09:33 PM
what battleneter said :)

dont compare downloading off servers to downloading from bit torrent trackers. a server gives you a dedicated single connection and most of the time you should expect to max your download bandwidth. with bit torrent you're literally at the mercy of other torrent downloaders. general rule is private trackers are far more reliable than public. you should expect to max your bandwidth on a private tracker, subject to usual .. number of seeds, leechers. public, everyone's usually speed limiting lol public trackers usually result in frustration. im with ihug and i never have problems with speed limiting .

steveroby
23-11-2007, 03:18 PM
wholly mother of crap
thats a damn fine bt speed
Try my Xtra Broadband & see what slow BT really looks like
I dream of the day I can get more than 8kbs before 2am on bt
(my downloads from NZ ftp's are 200kbs+, xtra throttles my BT)