PDA

View Full Version : Vista Update problem

bones
21-11-2007, 08:51 AM
Help! I can't update via Windows Update in Vista. I get an error code 8024402C. I have googled various solutions to this but nothing works. Internet access is fine and it seems to go through the motions but after a few minutes I get the error. Hasn't worked from initial install with no firewalls etc.
Anybody be able to walk me through a solution?:dogeye:

Speedy Gonzales
21-11-2007, 09:12 AM
What programs have you got installed as in:

firewalls, anti-spyware software, web accelerators, Internet security or antivirus programs. and proxy servers ?

As it looks like these programs can bring up that error.

bones
21-11-2007, 09:57 AM
What programs have you got installed as in:

firewalls, anti-spyware software, web accelerators, Internet security or antivirus programs. and proxy servers ?

As it looks like these programs can bring up that error.

Spybot-SD Resident(Have tried with it on and off,no difference),Zone Alarm,AVG Free. One of the fixes mentioned running proxycfg -d at the command prompt but all I got was "unrecognized command" or something similar.

bones
21-11-2007, 02:19 PM
Its all working now?? Logged on as administrator instead of my usual log in and its all good. Downloaded and installed 37 updates. Went back to my usual log in and windows update is now as happy as. No error message when checking for updates.
Thanks anyway Speedy, must be your psychic energy or something

Speedy Gonzales
21-11-2007, 02:22 PM
Err, so what were you logged in as then??

If it wasnt admin?

I would say you would have to login as Admin to do most things, and now you
know to update :D

bones
21-11-2007, 02:37 PM
I was logged in as "Me" (with admin rights) and a password. My log in icon was the only one available so only I could log in?
Everything came right when(not exactly sure how) I got the admin log in icon to show on start up as well as mine.
Now anyone can log in as admin so I have to get rid of that admin icon.
Have I got this right? or have I made a fundamental cock up?
I know I'm getting increasing levels of confusion. Time for a cup of tea and a lie down.

Speedy Gonzales
21-11-2007, 02:40 PM
lol, I wouldnt have a clue. I've never used Vista.

Most probably never will.

Unless it was a corrupted profile or something.