PDA

View Full Version : Too cold for a computer???

damionknt
19-11-2007, 02:21 AM
ok i have this problem as well i fall asleep with the computer running just fine and i wake up to a blue screen and on days this happens i had left the window open and the fan running getting the room well below 40 deg F
i try running a hairdryer at the com works to get it running again outherwise i get reboots nonstop or blue screens if it even boots up at all . and i have upgraded everything but the mother board and the original hd and i keep getting this so not the power supply new one there as well

Greg
19-11-2007, 06:24 AM
It's hard to imagine that's too cold, keeping in mind that people go to great lengths to cool thier computers. Of course if it went below freezing strange things might happen.

pctek
19-11-2007, 08:23 AM
It would be helpful if you posted the STOP error you get. That will tell us what the problem likely is.

SurferJoe46
19-11-2007, 08:51 AM
Kinda blows all to blazes the idea of keeping the old Cray in liquid nitrogen then..right?

Closer to absolute zero, things get better.

You may have a thermal problem with shrinkage in a solder joint...maybe.

chicken one
19-11-2007, 10:29 AM
ok i have this problem as well i fall asleep with the computer running just fine and i wake up to a blue screen and on days this happens i had left the window open and the fan running getting the room well below 40 deg F
i try running a hairdryer at the com works to get it running again outherwise i get reboots nonstop or blue screens if it even boots up at all . and i have upgraded everything but the mother board and the original hd and i keep getting this so not the power supply new one there as well

What backwards country are you in that still uses that temperature scale?
C1

qazwsxokmijn
19-11-2007, 10:31 AM
Hmmm kinda sounds the case like my old computer. HDD was cool at 5 degrees in the morning and would nearly always give me a BSOD too.

Agent_24
19-11-2007, 10:59 AM
It's entirely possible for a computer to be too cold, and cause problems like bad solder joint moving etc, or any other metal contracting and making bad contact

No doubt the cold just shows up a fault that's probably already there but not apparent at normal temperatures

Trev
19-11-2007, 11:31 AM
I would say they are from the US of A.
:)

Cho
19-11-2007, 12:17 PM
mine did something similar at low temps upon first boot. would cycle through to posting and reboot until it got above 20c then ran fine. checked over the board and seemed all right. moisture build up could also be the issue. although since it was already on that is probably unlikely.

Pete O'Neil
19-11-2007, 12:21 PM
Certain Athlon64's had a cold boot bug which stopped them from booting when they were really really cold (e.g -40) which was a problem for the die hard overclockers who were using dry ice or phase change. Doubt the same problem would stop a booted PC from working though.

darroll
19-11-2007, 01:47 PM
It's entirely possible for a computer to be too cold, and cause problems like bad solder joint moving etc, or any other metal contracting and making bad contact

No doubt the cold just shows up a fault that's probably already there but not apparent at normal temperatures

You should look into sending in your rig for R&R.
We called these high joints. This means possible a cold solder connection
Already mentioned. d

pctek
19-11-2007, 02:00 PM
Hmmm. Don't believe it. I live in the cold. Last winter my CPU would report being 13c. After use.

Never had a problem.

apsattv
19-11-2007, 08:15 PM
All this talk of cold conditions causing it to fail.

Did anyone even bother to think that its related to the pc going into sleep mode? nothing to do with cool conditions.