PDA

View Full Version : Setting up a Wired and Wireless Network?

kLOTTiS
18-11-2007, 05:54 PM
Hey Guys, I'm thinking of adding wireless to my network, Currently I have 2 Windows XP computers and a Linux file server networked up through my ADSL Router. I have two other Laptops also running Windows XP that I would like to add into my network with wireless (While leaving the PC's Wired), however I need some help figuring it out.

Would I have to plug a Wireless Router into my current ADSL Router and plug all of my wired computers into the Wireless Router or can I just buy a single port Wireless Router and leave my wired connections in my ADSL Router?

I hope that makes sense, any help greatly appreciated

Speedy Gonzales
18-11-2007, 06:04 PM
Single port Wireless Router and leave my wired connections in my ADSL Router?

This option would be better. But with 4 ports. (1 to connect to the router (from the NIC on the case), and 3 to connect to the wired pc's).

A wireless modem/router. And remove the router youre using now.

Then just plug the wired pcs into the back. Get wireless adapters for the laptops. Then all you have to do, is configure the router and the adapters.

And then give them keys. To make them secure.

kLOTTiS
18-11-2007, 06:10 PM
A wireless modem/router. And remove the router youre using now.

Thats what I was thinking originally, but I read that I still need my ADSL Router for my Internet Connection, Is this true?

Speedy Gonzales
18-11-2007, 06:15 PM
Thats what I was thinking originally, but I read that I still need my ADSL Router for my Internet Connection, Is this true?

No, a modem/router is just that. The modem to get on the net, the router to share it.

Thats why the 4 ethernet ports are on the back of it. And if its a wireless modem/router, you get the ethernet and wireless in the one modem/router.

Instead of using 2 routers.

The only thing you would have to do, is put the login info, (from the the router you're using now), into the new one.

To get on the net.

The_End_Of_Reality
18-11-2007, 06:16 PM
Thats what I was thinking originally, but I read that I still need my ADSL Router for my Internet Connection, Is this true? You can get wireless ADSL modem/routers... Such as the Linksys WAG54G I have here

davehartley
18-11-2007, 06:54 PM
A wireless access point is simply a wireless device you plug in to an existing network to provide wireless capabilities. If you get one of these, you'll still need your ADSL router. I went down this route as I wanted a USB printer plugged in to the wireless device, meaning I have two boxes -- my ADSL router, and the wireless unit.

However, if you make sure you get a wireless router with an ADSL modem, then you can remove your existing router, making for a tidier setup. (Just make sure you have enough network sockets in the back of it -- most of them come with four, which looks like enough for what you want to do :))