PDA

View Full Version : Any way to block/disable file transfer on Win. Live messenger ?

ableton
18-11-2007, 01:39 PM
Any way to block/disable file transfer on Win. Live messenger ?
same for webcam.

Unless someone knows an alternative to windows live messenger that dosent have these features, i just want to have basic text chat.

It will be used by kids.

Thax

Speedy Gonzales
18-11-2007, 01:42 PM
Dont turn the webcam on, or connect it.

There's Pidgin and Miranda. I dont think either have a cam option.

Dont know if theyve got a file xfer option. Dont use them.

Cho
18-11-2007, 01:55 PM
pidgin has file transfer. don't know about Miranda though. no cam on pidgin as stated just had a look.

as for removing file transfer ability. not sure. done a Google search and there may be a plug in that blocks them so you don't know the other person is trying to send it. can't be sure though.

Speedy Gonzales
18-11-2007, 02:01 PM
I know with the old version of Messenger (the one prior to the new version that just came out), u had to install that annoying AV program from MS (Onecare I think), for file xfer to work. Even if u had an AV program installed.

Or else it didnt work, unless you change the file extension to something other than exe. That went in the bin.

SurferJoe46
18-11-2007, 02:11 PM
I know with the old version of Messenger (the one prior to the new version that just came out), u had to install that annoying AV program from MS (Onecare I think), for file xfer to work. Even if u had an AV program installed.

Or else it didnt work, unless you change the file extension to something other than exe. That went in the bin.

I tried to get around the .exe exclusionary rule by winrar-ing files and it still figgered it out and denied it. Even winzip-winrar and then another winzip to the same .exe could not mask it!

Pretty strong filter there!

ableton
18-11-2007, 02:25 PM
yea pidgin sounds good atm, so can I disable file transfer completely ?through One care Live coz funny enough thats what im using for AV.

my last option propably wood be web messenger.

(any link to that plug-in mentioned above ?)

Speedy Gonzales
19-11-2007, 10:15 AM
Dont know never used Onecare. Dont intend to either.

Avast is good enough for me.

I dont think Onecare has an option, in it to disable file sending tho.

No with the old MSN messenger Onecare HAD to be installed to send files, if you used MSN Messenger.

It didnt say Onecare had the option in it, to block file transfers.

Go to the site and see if theres a plugin there.

Other than that, use an IRC client like Mirc, which isnt free. But there are other free IRC clients around.

IRC is better than MSN Messenger etc, coz you go to channels (lots of them).

And there's heaps of people (not just 1 person), you chat to.

EviLClouD
19-11-2007, 01:52 PM
Click on Tools > Options > Personal and at the bottom of that window there should be the sub-heading 'My Webcam'. There should be a tick box underneath the heading saying 'Allow others to see that I have a webcam'. Untick that.

As for file transfer, i'm not sure if you can disable it or not, but you can instruct Windows Live Messenger to automatically block unsafe file types...
Tools > Options > File Transfer
Under the sub heading of File Transfer, tick the box that says 'Automatically reject file transfers for known unsafe file types'

By default, Messenger blocks files that have the following file extensions:

.ade .adp .app .asp
.bas .bat .cer .chm
.cmd .com .cpl .crt
.csh .exe .fxp .grp
.hlp .hta .inf .ins
.isp .its .js .jse
.ksh .lnk .mad .maf
.mag .mam .maq .mar
.mas .mat .mau .mav
.maw .mda .mdb .mde
.mdt .mdw .mdz .msc
.msi .msp .mst .ops
.pcd .pif .pl .prf
.prg .pst .reg .scf
.scr .sct .shb .shs
.tmp .url .vbs .vsd
.vb .vbe .vsmacros .vss
.vst .vsw .ws .wsc
.wsf .wsh

When you try to share a potentially unsafe file, an exclamation point appears over the icon for the file, and the tooltip for the icon explains that the file has been blocked for security reasons.

Speedy Gonzales
19-11-2007, 03:27 PM
Speaking of MSN Messenger, There's a trojan on the loose (http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,2218894,00.asp?kc=EWRSS03119TX1K0000594)

So, watch what you receive and from who