PDA

View Full Version : Can not access Drive

Swampy
18-11-2007, 10:09 AM
This morning when I started my desktop, I got a message
Drive not formatted. Format now ? I have two hard drives C and D. I was trying to access the D drive. The PC is operating OK on the C dr:( ive.
The D drive stores all my data, including my family history.
Any suggestions how to fix this would be appreciated.

Speedy Gonzales
18-11-2007, 10:11 AM
Is D a partition of C, or on another hard drive??

And what version of Windows is it?

Swampy
18-11-2007, 11:41 AM
The "D" drive is a seperate hard drive. And OS is XP.
Sorry I should have put this in the original question.

wainuitech
18-11-2007, 12:03 PM
Try seeing if the data is still there - try this -

Click Start / Run in the box type in compmgmt.msc /s Press Enter / OK.
Under the Storage option expand out and look for Disk Management Double click it and there will be both drives - on the D Drive RIGHT click it and Explore. Hopefully all your data will be there.

One step back - look at the drive - what state does it say it is ?

Depending whats happened you may be able to copy the data off and need to reformat.

If its not readable there is still hope - but we'll get to that if needed.

Swampy
18-11-2007, 02:39 PM
I am still getting the format message. The "D" drive showed in the disk management and details are 57.26 Gb Healthy.

Sorry did not respond sooner - had to go out for a couple of hours

wainuitech
18-11-2007, 02:50 PM
Thats Cool - it is the weekend and theres no time limit on replies :p

When in Disk Management - does it say the format of the Drive - Eg: NTFS or Fat32 ? (next to the Drive size)

Also when you right click the drive can you see your files in Explore ?

Swampy
18-11-2007, 03:14 PM
There is nothing besides the " D" drive in disk Management. There is NTFS beside the "C" Drive.

I am not able to see anything in "explore" except the format warning nessage. I notice that the "D" drice has 25.26 under the capacity columnand the same under free space column

wainuitech
18-11-2007, 04:50 PM
Hmmmmmm - ok sounds like there may have been some sort of failure or formatting lost some how.

You may have to reformat the drive, BUT if you do that you will lose any data that is on the drive.
If its important data that you don't want to lose, download Knoppix (http://www.knoppix.org/) its a live Linux ISO image you burn to CD, normally when you boot from it, you will usually be able to see if the data is readable, then you can copy it back to another location such as the C drive.

The faster option, since Knoppix is almost 700Mb Down load is to down load a free data recovery software, something like This here (http://www.pcinspector.de/Sites/file_recovery/info.htm?language=1), load it on the Main drive and tell it to scan the D drive, then if it finds anything, recover the data.

There are a few other steps that can be done before doing a full format, but they may also cause any data that is recoverable to be lost.

Swampy
03-12-2007, 01:10 PM
Hi Again
Many thanks for your helpful suggestions. I have followed your advice and used option 2 and have recovered the data I require from the drive. It would appear to me, with a little knowledge about these things, that there may be some bad sectors on the drive. This appears to be preventing the drive to be used, so the bad sectors must be storing critical info
What should I do from here? Do I need to reformat the drive or is there an application that I can run to fix (move) the data to a good sector.