PDA

View Full Version : New LCD Monitor

rumpty
18-11-2007, 09:39 AM
I've just bought a new Philips LCD monitor for the computer. I must say there is nothing like an LCD to make what seemed a perfectly good CRT look blurry!

It is connected to my Gigabyte motherboard on-board graphics, which in the past has done all I've required perfectly well, but I thought it would be nice to use a fully digital connection using the DVI input. That would call for a new PCI-E graphics card. Would what appears the cheapest Nvidia card around, an Asus 7200, about $80, do the job properly? It would be at least as good, or better, than the on-board graphics, I presume, plus freeing some shared memory?

I don't think much of the grey scale tracking on this new LCD, even after tweaking all the gamma adjustments in sight, but I guess I will have to live with that.

Speedy Gonzales
18-11-2007, 09:49 AM
Anything is better than onboard video.

The main thing would be the memory.

somebody
18-11-2007, 10:07 AM
I've just bought a new Philips LCD monitor for the computer. I must say there is nothing like an LCD to make what seemed a perfectly good CRT look blurry!

It is connected to my Gigabyte motherboard on-board graphics, which in the past has done all I've required perfectly well, but I thought it would be nice to use a fully digital connection using the DVI input. That would call for a new PCI-E graphics card. Would what appears the cheapest Nvidia card around, an Asus 7200, about $80, do the job properly? It would be at least as good, or better, than the on-board graphics, I presume, plus freeing some shared memory?

I don't think much of the grey scale tracking on this new LCD, even after tweaking all the gamma adjustments in sight, but I guess I will have to live with that.

It'll be absolutely fine - there's no need to spend more on a graphics card, unless you intend to do serious gaming or 3D modelling/animation work etc.

Tukapa
18-11-2007, 03:41 PM
Grab one of these (http://www.nzoczone.com/product_info.php?products_id=4536)

Will do everything you need for basic graphics.

rumpty
18-11-2007, 04:18 PM
Grab one of these (http://www.nzoczone.com/product_info.php?products_id=4536)

Will do everything you need for basic graphics.

Yes, that 7200 board was the one I thought would do, if I really want/need to get one. Thanks for your thoughts everyone.