PDA

View Full Version : Installing new soundcard help (pics included)

wodrolb
17-11-2007, 06:34 PM
Hello. I purchased a new soundcard today, but I don't know how to go about removing the old one in my used up PCI slot.

I don't want to break or damage anything so if anyone can help or direct me on how to do this, it would help!

Do i have to unclick the green things? I can't seem to find a screw to unscrew, but I could be a bit blind?

Images of my pc and PCI slot below (the soundcard is on the very left):
http://img160.imageshack.us/img160/464/001jt0.jpg
http://img526.imageshack.us/img526/2935/002rd0.jpg
http://img522.imageshack.us/img522/936/005pu0.jpg

Metla
17-11-2007, 06:38 PM
The green things are screwless quick release latches, just squeeze the 2 tabs together and they should come away to let you remove the PCI card.

I think they suck, but thats just me, Its easier to just have a screw, The one case I had that used them I removed them.

Speedy Gonzales
17-11-2007, 06:39 PM
Looks like you press down on the green clip thing to release it.

It'll only go one way, or the other.

Either press down, or lift it with a finger.

Just make sure u turn the system off, before u do it!

wodrolb
17-11-2007, 06:41 PM
You guys 100% sure about this? I don't wanna unclip the green thing unless you guys know for sure that it's the only thing I need to do?

Metla
17-11-2007, 06:42 PM
ZING.

ah ahahahaha

8 points for me.

And I'd hate to go over the top...but....

Yahoo! This is your celebration
Yahoo! This is your celebration

Celebrate good times,cīmon! (Letīs celebrate)
Celebrate good times, cīmon! (Letīs celebrate)

Theres a party goinī on right here
A celebration to last throughout the yeahrs
So bring your good times, & your laughter too
We going to celebrate your party with you

Cīmon now

Celebration
Letīs all celebrate & have a good time
Celebration
We going to celebrate & have a good time

It is time to come together
It is up to you, whatīs your pleasure

Everyone around the world
Cīmon!

Yahoo! It is a celebration
Yahoo!

Celebrate good times, cīmon!
It is a celebration
Letīs celebrate

We are going to have a good time tonight
Letīs celebrate, it is all right
We are going to have a good time tonight

Baby...

We are going to have a good time tonight (Ce-le-bra-tion)
We are going to have a good time tonight (Ce-le-bra-tion)

Yahoo!
Yahoo!

It is a celebration!

(ad lib)

Cīmon & celebrate, good times, tonight (Celebrate good times, cīmon!)
īCause everything is going to be all right
Letīs celebrate (Celebrate good times, cīmon)
(Letīs celebrate)...

Speedy Gonzales
17-11-2007, 06:43 PM
Well Metla wld know he had one I didnt.

It cant be that hard to unclip the card.

Metla
17-11-2007, 06:49 PM
Maybe you pull them apart..

Lmao.

As Speedy said, It cant be that hard, just give em a wiggle.

wodrolb
17-11-2007, 06:49 PM
Well i unclipped the green clip... but now the back of the soundcard is just wobbly, it wont come out easily at all.

:S

wodrolb
17-11-2007, 06:54 PM
OK i got it out... but theres these wires attached to the back of it, not sure what to do there...

Speedy Gonzales
17-11-2007, 06:59 PM
I spose theyre the wires for the speakers / mic ??

Unless its got SPDIF / the adapter for it or something on it as well.

Metla
17-11-2007, 07:01 PM
wires will be a feed from the cd player, Their sole purpose is to feed audio directly to the audio card rather then through the entire computer.

Not much use, if any, imo.

wodrolb
17-11-2007, 07:03 PM
oops i meant there is wires attached to the front of it, inside the case. They're joint with all these other black wires and stuff. I mic and speaker leads were in the I/O ports but I am talking about leads actually attached to the soundcard itself, not the ports.

Speedy Gonzales
17-11-2007, 07:04 PM
Did it come with a manual or CD?

Have u tried reading it??

And whats the soundcard?

wodrolb
17-11-2007, 07:09 PM
Did it come with a manual or CD?

Have u tried reading it??

And whats the soundcard?

X-fi xtreme gamer sound card is my current one that i am trying to remove.

I can't find any of my manuals anywhere.

It looks like the chord that is attached to the sound card is permanently attached, I am not too good with computers, but that's what it looks like.

I'll try and get a pic of it.

wodrolb
17-11-2007, 07:15 PM
here is a pic of the soundcard and the multi coloured lead attached to it.

http://img105.imageshack.us/img105/34/1002745nm2.jpg

wainuitech
17-11-2007, 07:30 PM
If its the Yellow/red/blue & white - they look like some sort of power wires, or even USB- right next to or bove /below where the wires plug into the board should be some writing, what does it say ?

Agent_24
17-11-2007, 07:35 PM
might help if your photos were in focus so I knew what the heck I was looking at..

But surely you can unplug the cable from at least one end?

wainuitech
17-11-2007, 07:38 PM
might help if your photos were in focus so I knew what the heck I was looking at..

But surely you can unplug the cable from at least one end?

Hell Mate - I've had a few Drinks from our BBQ tonight - perfect focus , just have to lean the right way :lol: :lol:

yeah should unplug as you said :thumbs:

wodrolb
17-11-2007, 07:39 PM
trouble is, i cant tell what the cable is actually plugged into. It's bundled into a bunch of other wires, so many different colours are going one way and the rest in all different directions. I hate computers, so confusing.

Metla
17-11-2007, 07:40 PM
Is that pygmy next to the Ferris wheel waving to me?, Or is he trying to slow down the flying saucer.

And if you squint, You can see Nessie.

wodrolb
17-11-2007, 07:44 PM
Is that pygmy next to the Ferris wheel waving to me?, Or is he trying to slow down the flying saucer.

And if you squint, You can see Nessie.

right...

wodrolb
17-11-2007, 07:55 PM
GUHHHHH, if only my mate wasnt so busy he would come round and fix it for me :(

i cant call tech support either cause its too late DAMN, I want this new soundcard in now :(

bob_doe_nz
17-11-2007, 07:56 PM
Put the card partially back into the slot.

Move back a little and take a picture with your camera with the flash on.

That way we can ID what cable it is. (And whether or not it's ok to yank out)

Oh! And let us see whats printed next to the cable connector on the card as well :)

wodrolb
17-11-2007, 08:08 PM
here bob

http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/2800/piccompaa9.jpg

Speedy Gonzales
17-11-2007, 08:32 PM
Is this it ? (http://au.creative.com/products/product.asp?category=209&subcategory=669&product=15855&nav=1)

If it is, that 5x2 connector (if its 5x2) goes to the front panel header

This might connect to the FP_Audio header on the mobo?

And is there a molex connector there somewhere, for it??

wodrolb
17-11-2007, 08:35 PM
Is this it ? (http://au.creative.com/products/product.asp?category=209&subcategory=669&product=15855&nav=1)

If it is, that 5x2 connector (if its 5x2) goes to the front header (HD).

If u havent got it u cant connect it.

And is there a molex connector there somewhere, for it??

No I have this one, i dunno if its like the same thing: http://au.creative.com/products/product.asp?category=209&subcategory=669&product=15853

and molex connecter? lol

it might be easier if you guys talk to me on msn: takeshaunseriously at hotmail dot com

^ if anyone wants to add me

Speedy Gonzales
17-11-2007, 08:38 PM
Look under specs on that site.

The bottom 2.

I dont use or have MSN. So, cant add you.

It'll most probably be easier to take the card out, (and that cable you posted), so we could see whats on the card (connections), and whats at the end of that cable. What it looks like

wodrolb
17-11-2007, 08:42 PM
Look under specs on that site.

The bottom 2.

I dont use or have MSN. So, cant add you.

It'll most probably be easier to take the card out, (and that cable you posted), so we could see whats on the card (connections), and whats at the end of that cable. What it looks like

Uhh if I could take the card and cable out i would, that's the whole point of this topic. to remove the card and the cable that is attached to it lol

Speedy Gonzales
17-11-2007, 08:45 PM
Is that the new or old card thats still in there or what??

I thought u had put the new one in.

Well whats the other end of that cable in the pic going to then? That might help.

wodrolb
17-11-2007, 08:49 PM
Is that the new or old card thats still in there or what??

I thought u had put the new one in.

Well whats the other end of that cable in the pic going to then? That might help.

its the old card thats still in there

i cant find out where the cable is going to. theres too many wires in the way to see clearly.

Speedy Gonzales
17-11-2007, 08:52 PM
Well just turn it off , lay the case down, and pull the card out.

Then you'll see (if any wires are connected on the bottom of it), then pull them off.

We'll figure out where to put / connect those wires later. Once the new card is in.

wodrolb
17-11-2007, 08:58 PM
i tried pulling the wire off the card but i cant.

wodrolb
17-11-2007, 08:59 PM
i cant take the soundcard out of the pc unless the chord has been detached off it, which i cant seem to do.

Speedy Gonzales
17-11-2007, 09:01 PM
Well lay the case down put ya hand in there and rip the damn thing out!

Or we'll be here till Xmas.

wodrolb
17-11-2007, 09:07 PM
YES

got that f***ing c**t out! hahaha

Ok now I gotta install the new card, phewww

Speedy Gonzales
17-11-2007, 09:11 PM
Bout bloody time lol

wodrolb
17-11-2007, 09:14 PM
god i am so stupid.

ok so now i have to install the drivers and stuff before putting in the new soundcard, after thats done, i put the new soundcard in ACCORDING to the manual for the soundcard.

ill let you all know how it goes.

wodrolb
17-11-2007, 09:29 PM
ok the new soundcard is in place (i think)

but im too scared to put the green clip down to secure it, i hear this little clicking noise when i try and im scared it might break it

my heart is racing so fast doing this :stare:

wodrolb
17-11-2007, 10:00 PM
Is there such thing as soundcards not fitting into comps?

im trying to fit this one in but it just pops out when i try to secure it with the green clip.

the end bits that fit into the pci slot on the soundcard are a tiny bit longer than my old soundcard, i hope this doesnt mean i wasted my money...

erika
17-11-2007, 10:47 PM
Is there such thing as soundcards not fitting into comps?

im trying to fit this one in but it just pops out when i try to secure it with the green clip.

the end bits that fit into the pci slot on the soundcard are a tiny bit longer than my old soundcard, i hope this doesnt mean i wasted my money...

It should fit in your PCI slot. Check if the pins (you said end bits) is the same length or shorter than your PCI slot (it should because I haven't seen a sound card pin longer than pci slot. If its longer than your pci slot then it wouldnt fit in. :badpc:

Metla
17-11-2007, 10:50 PM
I think if you can't fit a PCI card into a PCI slot you should perhaps wait for the person you mentioned earlier, who normally does these things for you.

erika
17-11-2007, 10:55 PM
I forgot to add that after you check the length and if it looks like it will fit then make sure you press the sound card on both ends before securing it with the clip.

george12
17-11-2007, 11:10 PM
How much is a tiny bit?

There's only two types of X-Fi sound card - PCI (very common) and PCI-E (relatively rare for X-Fi cards but they exist). PCI-E is about 1/6 the length of a PCI slot.

So basically, it DOES fit. Don't be afraid to use a LITTLE bit of force. Make sure everything lines up, push it firmly into the slot, and if it's seated solidly in there, go ahead and put the clip back down.

erika
17-11-2007, 11:15 PM
I never knew that theres a PCI E for soundcard...well I'm not a soundcard person so...

Anyways, we can tell from the pic that his PCI slot is a regular PCI slot so it should really fit just make sure he does it right so he won't break anything. Push it firmly but slowly and make sure everything is line up.

chiefnz
18-11-2007, 04:38 AM
No offence to the original poster but that was the most painful sound card install I've ever been through... but hey at least he learnt something... that in itself id a small victory.

Greg
18-11-2007, 07:33 AM
Where abouts do you live? If you're near me I'll come and sort it for you if you gift me the old card. :D

Agent_24
18-11-2007, 07:49 AM
Not all cards fall into place easily, in fact if they do something is wrong because the whole point is to make good contact, can't do that if the contacts are loose

So you should have to give it a bit of a push to get it in

At least you don't have to tackle a VLB video card :yuck:

wodrolb
18-11-2007, 09:03 AM
Where abouts do you live? If you're near me I'll come and sort it for you if you gift me the old card. :D

I live in Taupo.

The thing is with this soundcard, when its pushed in properly, I put the green clip down to secure it but the soundcard pops out a bit when I try to do so.

wainuitech
18-11-2007, 09:18 AM
I live in Taupo.

The thing is with this soundcard, when its pushed in properly, I put the green clip down to secure it but the soundcard pops out a bit when I try to do so.

Which End ? The end with the clip or the other end ?

If you look at the end with where the clip goes, there is usually a small slot the metal face plate has to slide into - its often very hard to see on some cases. If the Tag end of the metal face plate doesn't seat in there correctly it will tend to POP out.

wodrolb
18-11-2007, 09:29 AM
Which End ? The end with the clip or the other end ?

If you look at the end with where the clip goes, there is usually a small slot the metal face plate has to slide into - its often very hard to see on some cases. If the Tag end of the metal face plate doesn't seat in there correctly it will tend to POP out.

the end with the clip. yeah, ok so it's just a matter of placing the soundcard in properly? i have very shakey hands, it feels like i am giving an operation on someone, I don't wanna mess up or they die sorta situation.

The_End_Of_Reality
18-11-2007, 09:34 AM
the end with the clip. yeah, ok so it's just a matter of placing the soundcard in properly? i have very shakey hands, it feels like i am giving an operation on someone, I don't wanna mess up or they die sorta situation. Then leave it to the professionals... Or atleast this other guy you mentioned... :2cents:

wainuitech
18-11-2007, 10:26 AM
Then leave it to the professionals... Or atleast this other guy you mentioned... :2cents: Good idea from Reality -

If the slots and Leg dont line up first time you will need to "tweak" the leg slightly to align them, usually with a pair of Pliers, this HAS to be done carefully other wise you may damage something.

The Slots I'm talking about (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/SlotsA.JPG) have the arrows in this picture pointing to them.

If you look at the leg on This PCI Card (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/ClipA.JPG), which happens to be a modem, but that doesn't matter - you will notice the area on the Leg that has been "tweaked". Most Cards sometimes come with a small bend anyway, but depending on the case, may need a "little alteration / Adjustment" - leave it to your mate who does the work for you normally.

After the Card is installed - then the Drivers to make it work will more than likely have to be installed as well.

Speedy Gonzales
18-11-2007, 10:33 AM
No offence to the original poster but that was the most painful sound card install I've ever been through... but hey at least he learnt something... that in itself is a small victory.

lol painful aint the word. I was thinking more along the lines of destructive.

As in hammer.

wodrolb
20-11-2007, 05:33 PM
Good idea from Reality -

If the slots and Leg dont line up first time you will need to "tweak" the leg slightly to align them, usually with a pair of Pliers, this HAS to be done carefully other wise you may damage something.

The Slots I'm talking about (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/SlotsA.JPG) have the arrows in this picture pointing to them.

If you look at the leg on This PCI Card (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/ClipA.JPG), which happens to be a modem, but that doesn't matter - you will notice the area on the Leg that has been "tweaked". Most Cards sometimes come with a small bend anyway, but depending on the case, may need a "little alteration / Adjustment" - leave it to your mate who does the work for you normally.

After the Card is installed - then the Drivers to make it work will more than likely have to be installed as well.
Ok, I might give this ago myself. My mate still hasn't had the time to come check it out for me.

If it didn't have the clips it would be much easier to secure (with bolts) or whatever :(

Agent_24
20-11-2007, 05:40 PM
Ok, I might give this ago myself. My mate still hasn't had the time to come check it out for me.

If it didn't have the clips it would be much easier to secure (with bolts) or whatever :(

I don't like tool-less designs much either. Nice when they work but if something is slightly different (and not all cards/cases ARE the same) then you're stuffed.

Give me a normal case with normal screws anyday

wodrolb
20-11-2007, 06:07 PM
Do you guys know if I absolutely NEED to secure the card with the plastic clip?

Or can I just leave it in the pci slot how it is?

Agent_24
20-11-2007, 06:09 PM
Do you guys know if I absolutely NEED to secure the card with the plastic clip?

Or can I just leave it in the pci slot how it is?

You can leave it there but whether or not it falls out, or otherwise has a bad connection which can lead to freezing, and damage to card and motherboard is a different matter

The clip should work though, just push it into the same position as the others.

I'd probably take all the clips off and just use screws if that's possible

Very rarely do you find a card that actually does not fit into the slot properly, most likely it's not aligned right or something

Speedy Gonzales
20-11-2007, 06:10 PM
If it doesnt move dont worry about it.

Or get another case and put everything in it.

wodrolb
20-11-2007, 06:18 PM
Yeah it doesnt move, ill just put it in without securing it with a clip.

@ Agent_24

When i put the clip on, the soundcard pops out of the pci slot a fraction

Sweep
20-11-2007, 06:27 PM
Yeah it doesnt move, ill just put it in without securing it with a clip.

@ Agent_24

When i put the clip on, the soundcard pops out of the pci slot a fraction

Remove clip and use a screw.

wainuitech
20-11-2007, 06:35 PM
Those clips are there for a reason - to stop any cards from falling out or moving and causing more problems. It really does need to be secured somehow. If the card is in the slot correctly the clip should snap into place - the old card was located correctly and that worked fine with the clips.

When you removed the original clip you would have felt a certain amount of pressure on it, thats the same sort of pressure it will need to snap back into place.

Putting a screw in sometimes does work, but depending on the clip assembly, you may have to remove them all, some come as a complete set and can't simply remove just one.

If the cards not sitting in the slot corrrectly it can cause other problems as Agent said
You can leave it there but whether or not it falls out, or otherwise has a bad connection which can lead to freezing, and damage to card and motherboard is a different matter If it shorts something you can damage other components.

wodrolb
23-11-2007, 06:49 PM
There is something on my motherboard, a little cylinder round thing that is stopping my soundcard from pushing into the pci slot on the far left side.

What the hell :mad:

a rough drawing of what it looks like:
http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/3371/guhhnz6.jpg

wainuitech
23-11-2007, 07:20 PM
There is something on my motherboard, a little cylinder round thing that is stopping my soundcard from pushing into the pci slot on the far left side.

What the hell :mad:

a rough drawing of what it looks like:
http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/3371/guhhnz6.jpg

Are you able to supply a clear picture of the "little cylinder round thing" - with out the card in the slot please.

It looks like its a capacitor from your drawing - if so dont force it, if it breaks the "legs" all sorts of problems can occur. Does it look something likeThese here (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/30328_4lo.jpg) - If they are do you have another spare PCI slot the card can go into that doesnt have any obstructions.

wodrolb
23-11-2007, 07:23 PM
Are you able to supply a clear picture of the "little cylinder round thing" - with out the card in the slot please.

It "sounds " like its a capacitor - if so dont force it, if it breaks the "legs" all sorts of problems can occur. Does it look something likeThese here (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/30328_4lo.jpg) - please if possible upload a picture of the offending "object"

It is this:
http://img230.imageshack.us/img230/41/aasssyo8.png

whatever that is.

Speedy Gonzales
23-11-2007, 07:24 PM
Its a smaller capacitor.

As WT said, put it in another PCI slot, if theres a spare one.

If you cant put the card in that slot

wodrolb
23-11-2007, 07:27 PM
http://www.ixbt.com/proaudio/m-audio/a192-cardb.jpg

the small piece on the left hand side with (DAB) is touching one of the small capacitors, if it wasnt as wide as it was, it would be fine.

wainuitech
23-11-2007, 07:28 PM
Can put the Sound card in another PCI Slot - or are they all full ?

Sometimes things can get "tight" with some cards - other times its a NO GO in that slot no matter what you do.

Speedy Gonzales
23-11-2007, 07:29 PM
http://www.ixbt.com/proaudio/m-audio/a192-cardb.jpg

the small piece on the left hand side with (DAB) is touching one of the small capacitors, if it wasnt as wide as it was, it would be fine.

That link doesnt work. It says forbidden

wodrolb
23-11-2007, 07:31 PM
Can put the Sound card in another PCI Slot - or are they all full ?

Sometimes things can get "tight" with some cards - other times its a NO GO in that slot no matter what you do.

I probably could, but the back of the tower where the pci slot is aligned with is closed off with a metal sheet. im not too sure if i can somehow take it off or not.

wainuitech
23-11-2007, 07:46 PM
Some thing that looks like These here (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/DSC00711_(Small).JPG) - may not be exactly the same. If so ( and I'm serious) rip the one out you need to make clear.

They are designed to break away when "worked" usually you can insert a screw driver in the tops / sides someplace ( the picture supplied shows a slot up top and a cross in the middle) bend it back so you can grip it with a pair of pliers, as they can be sharp and easily cut yourself quite bad.

Wriggle / bend it backwards and forwards being CAREFUL not to hit any components on the board like capacitors and soon it will break away and then you can put in your sound card.

BE CAREFUL as its easy to hit MB components and damage someting and the plates can be sharp - Use pliers.

Updated: An "after Shot" Same case Tab half out (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/DSC00712_(Small).JPG) I'm putting in an extra USB header in that case tomorrow - so took out the plate now seemed like a good time :D

Speedy Gonzales
23-11-2007, 07:46 PM
I know with some cases, sometimes you have to press a finger against the back panel (on the case, for the slot you're putting a card in), to get the card in. I've had a few of them.

Coz some have like notches and some cards get stuck on them

wodrolb
23-11-2007, 07:57 PM
Some thing that looks like These here (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/DSC00711_(Small).JPG) - may not be exactly the same. If so ( and I'm serious) rip the one out you need to make clear.

They are designed to break away when "worked" usually you can insert a screw driver in the tops / sides someplace ( the picture supplied shows a slot up top and a cross in the middle) bend it back so you can grip it with a pair of pliers, as they can be sharp and easily cut yourself quite bad.

Wriggle / bend it backwards and forwards being CAREFUL not to hit any components on the board like capacitors and soon it will break away and then you can put in your sound card.

BE CAREFUL as its easy to hit MB components and damage someting and the plates can be sharp - Use pliers.

Updated: An "after Shot" Same case Tab half out (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/DSC00712_(Small).JPG) I'm putting in an extra USB header in that case tomorrow - so took out the plate now seemed like a good time :D

yeah thats what they look like.

ill try this later on tonight. thanks guys, will keep you all posted.

wainuitech
23-11-2007, 07:59 PM
yeah thats what they look like.

ill try this later on tonight. thanks guys, will keep you all posted.

Just thinking - look at where the clips are that hold the PCI cards in, it may be a simple case of unclipping the one you want, like the original sound card and the plate falls out, then put in your Sound Card.

UPDATED: Just had a look at the image supplied in post 24 - Page 3 - they look like the plates will fall out if you unclip the one you want. Then the removed plate may fit back in the slot to cover where the old sound card was - may have to move the clips - cant quite see enough

wodrolb
23-11-2007, 08:08 PM
when i unclip the clips it doesnt do anything, ill probably just have to remove the plate with pliers.

wainuitech
23-11-2007, 08:11 PM
when i unclip the clips it doesnt do anything, ill probably just have to remove the plate with pliers. Okay - keep in touch / progress - dont rush, take it safely and carefully.

wodrolb
23-11-2007, 08:30 PM
YES THE PANELS FELL OFF WAY TOO EASILY AND THE CARD FITS INTO THE NEW PCI SLOT PERFECTLY

ITS ALL INSTALLED AND EVERYTHING :D

THANKYOU ALL SO MUCH

sorry about the caps but i am so relieved

wainuitech
23-11-2007, 08:37 PM
YES THE PANELS FELL OFF WAY TOO EASILY AND THE CARD FITS INTO THE NEW PCI SLOT PERFECTLY

ITS ALL INSTALLED AND EVERYTHING :D

THANKYOU ALL SO MUCH

sorry about the caps but i am so relieved:thumbs: :lol: Dont worry about the caps :thumbs:

Agent_24
23-11-2007, 09:05 PM
The capital letters or the electro that was getting in the way?? :lol:

Typical mobo designers, ooooh! lets put some tall components right next to a slot!!