PDA

View Full Version : Dual Operating systems

kiwi1
15-11-2007, 10:00 PM
I had two operating systems installed on two partitions ie. C & D.
A menu just after startup showed the two choices as:

Select operating system:
Windows 98 SE
Windows XP pro

However, One day:

PC crashed on bootup - after I had downloaded incompatible trial versions of Nortons Internet Security & system works simutaneously & had to reformat C Partition & & reinstall software.

So, Re-Formatted C Partition, Installed XP pro onto it & managed to transfer some Data files from D to C.

It seems that when I loaded Win XP PRO onto C Partition, Both C & D both had the same operation systems and identical names so could NOT differentiate between them.

So, when I start up, PC now intermittantly tries to load the old D Drive Partition at times & crashes.

I have found the file 'MSconfig \ startup' & the subsequent string of code on the working C Partition which seems only to refer to one operating system.

How/where can the file be edited & what exact code is required to now separate the two partitions & fix the problem.

drcspy
16-11-2007, 02:56 AM
right clik 'my computer' then clik 'properties' then clik 'advanced' then clik

'startup and recovery options'.....then under 'default operating system' clik the 'edit' button you'll see something like this:

[boot loader]
timeout=5
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOW S
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows XP OLD" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Windows XP NEW" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

..........................this is a bootloader file from when I had two versions of xp on my own system........as you can see the first refers to partition 1 and the 2nd to partition 2 this will give you the choice at bootup of which one to load.........