PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations for a new PC

jwil1
15-11-2007, 07:44 PM
Hi all,

My friend wants to buy a new PC.

He has a few prerequisites:
- Must have 4MB cache (preferably a processor <2.0GHz)
- 3GB RAM (32 bit only)
- => 320GB HD
- Needs Vista Ultimate

I 'built' a PC at Dell's website this evening with these specs and was wondering if it's a good deal:

DELL INSPIRON 530 DESKTOP:
Core 2 Duo E6550 (2.33GHz, 4MB cache, 1333MHz FSB)
Vista Ultimate
22" LCD (E228WFP)
3GB RAM (667MHz)
320GB HD (SATA, 3.0Gb NCQ)
19 in 1 media card reader
Nvidia Geforce 8600GT (256MB DDR3)
DVD+/-RW dual layer
Integrated sound card (7.1)
Standard USB mouse/KB
1 Year Next business day coverage
Mcafee 30 days trial
Works 8.5

Cost: ~$2125

He wants to use it for casual gaming, but mainly just as a PC that will run Vista well, a bit of graphics work, music editing, as well as running Windows '7' when (if!) it comes out.

After looking around at HP/Compaq, DSE's, Quay and a few others, this seems to be the best deal. Am I right? Is it advisable to buy from Dell? Are there any other NZ places to build decent PCs online?

All help much appreciated.

winmacguy
15-11-2007, 07:52 PM
Thats a pretty good bundle there regarding the price. My only concern would be regarding the RAM limitations imposed by going with Vista 32 bit when doing music editing unless your friend is not in the pro music editing business.

I gather XP is better suited when it comes to gaming variety and quality of gaming.

Metla
15-11-2007, 08:39 PM
Can you specify what the brands of the components are?

Not that it will matter, They will be crap.

Are you serious about getting good value for money and a quality computer?, we can help if this is the case, If not, Just buy one of the big brand junkers.

And you will have to be willing to ignore winmacguy.

Renmoo
15-11-2007, 11:21 PM
Can you post us a price breakdown for each component?

drcspy
16-11-2007, 03:01 AM
hm........I guess with the added cost of the screen and vista ultimate and the video card that'll add up a bit.......but I built essentially the same system.....well i gutted someones puter which had died and put in new parts and it cost just over $1000 for the parts:

ASUS P5K-VM
Core 2 Duo 2.33Ghz 4M Cache 1333FSB E6550
2Gb Kingston DDR2-667
Raidmax 520w (37a)
Windows XP Home OEM
160gb sata hdd seagate

as you can see they're quality parts.........VERY important ! I'll be extremely suprised if any dell pc used asus motherboard for example.......

anyway that's only the basic system and I used their case etc.....and only 2gb ram.....

In your case I'd be more inclined to use www.pricespy.co.nz to do some price comparisions for your hardware but make sure you get QUALITY.......

wainuitech
16-11-2007, 07:21 AM
If you use price spy , one more thing you need to add in which almost every one overlooks is the postage of the components if they dont come locally and you can collect.

Also important you also have to look at after sales sevice , meaning if there is a warranty issue, you have to pack the part back up, post it back to who you got it from - all have to be added into the prices / Decisions.

stormdragon
16-11-2007, 08:23 AM
I quickly put this together from playtech's website:

ASUS P5K SE Intel P35 ICH9 LGA775 ATX Intel Motherboard Retail
Intel Core 2 DUO E6550 2.33GHz Conroe 1333MHz FSB 4MB L2 Cache LGA 775
G.SKILL 1GB DDR2-667 (PC-5400) CL5-5-5-15
Western Digital WD3200AAKS Caviar SE 320GB SATA II 7200RPM 16MB Cache
XFX PV-T84J-UDF3 Geforce 8600GT 256MB
Asus DRW-2014L1T Black/Beige 20x Dual Layer Lightscribe SATA DVD Rewriter
Cooler Master Centurion 5 Pure Black Color with 430W PSU
AOC 210V Black 22" Widescreen 16:10 1680x1050
Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate 32bit DVD-Rom OEM
Logitech Internet 350 USB Desktop Keyboard & Optical Mouse - Black (OEM)

$1816.50

All Decent components whereas who knows what dell use at times, generally whatever's going cheap.

jwil1
16-11-2007, 08:30 AM
This is all I can find on Dell's website:

Processors
Intel® Core™ 2 Duo
Intel® Celeron® Processors
Intel® Pentium® Dual-Core Processors
Intel® CoreTM 2 Duo Processors
Intel® G33 Express Chipset

Operating Systems
Microsoft Windows Vista
Genuine Windows Vista® Ultimate
Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium
Genuine Windows Vista® Home Basic

For more details on Dell systems that run Windows Vista® , see www.dell.com/vista.

Memory
Up to 4GB Dual-Channel DDR2SDRAM (667MHz or 800MHz, 2 or 4 DIMMs)

Hard Drives
SATA hard drive
The Inspiron 530 supports up to two hard drives, each with up to 500GB2 space - a potential capacity of 1TB2 . And with Dell DataSafeTM and RAID 0 options, you can configure your storage to meet your needs, whether it's for storing large quantities of files, backing up system information and files, or improving performance with data striping.

* Up to 1TB2 Multiple Serial ATA Hard Drives with both hard drives utilised.
* Up to 500GB2 with Dell DataSafe, exclusively offered by Dell - a safe and simple way to help protect your memories from damage due to accidents, system crashes and other disasters.
* Up to 500GB2 Single Serial ATA Hard Drive

Optical Drive
Multiple DVD+/-RW , Combo, DVD-ROM3 configurations available
3.5" Floppy Drive and 13-in-1 Media Reader Available
Graphics
NVIDIA Graphics

256MB NVIDIA® Geforce® 8600GT
256MB NVIDIA® GeForce® 7300 LE TurboCache
256MB ATI Radeon® X1300 Pro
128MB NVIDIA® GeForce® 8300GS
Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator X3000 (Intel® GMA X3100)

Sound
High Definition Audio (HDA)
Sound Blaster X-FiTM XtremeMusic with Dolby 5.1
Integrated 7.1 Channel Audio

Ports, Slots, Chassis
Externally Accessible
Video: 1 DVI, VGA and 1 S-Video (with add-in PCI-Express video card)
IEEE 1394 (optional): 1 6-pin serial connector
USB: 10 ports (4 Front, 4 back) + 2 internal
Audio: Six back-panel connectors for line-in, line-out, microphone, rear surround, side surround, two front-panel connectors for headphones/microphone, integrated 7.1 channel sound
Network: Integrated 10/100 Ethernet. Broadband ready

Expansion Slots
PCI: 2 Slots
PCIe x1: 1 Slot
PCIe x16 (Graphics): 1 Slots

Chassis

3.5" Bays: 3 bays (one external; two internal)
5.25" Bays: 2 bays
Memory DIMM slots: 4 available

Price Spy has very little info on this (or similar) PCs.

pctek
16-11-2007, 08:53 AM
Warranty

Seagate Hard drives - 5 yrs
Intel CPUs - 3 Years
Kingston RAM - 8 yrs
ASUS Motherboards - 3 yrs
ASUS Graphic cards - 3 yrs

DELL Anything - 1 yr.

See the difference??
There are some crap components with only 1 yr warranty - most likely you will find them in Dell/Compaq/Acer crap.

Get a real PC with a real warranty and decent components.

The model of card in that Dell, as usual, is OK but not exactly what you'd choose for gaming.

wainuitech
16-11-2007, 09:43 AM
The warranty times are better than name brand PC's BUT some times they mean naff all as well.

Some components have 3 - 5 year warranties, but as technology moves on over time, and componets get discontinued, even though they may be still in warranty the manufactures cant replace them.
Had this happen with an Asus MB once - I was offered a replacement as close to the original - all very well until the RAM slots were different - so the customer had to purchase new RAM even though the old stuff still worked fine - cant put SD ram in DDR slots.
Same with the CPU Board had a socket 478 - new board was 775 - not compatable - new CPU had to be brought.

Reason for this Info - simple -- Places like Dell / HP only put 1 years warranties so they dont have this problem. Actually got told that from HP once.

Gigabytes Policy on this is - if they cant replace the board and the one they can replace it with in not compatable then refund the Money for the cost of the board - wont help getting the board replaced if ones not available.

george12
16-11-2007, 10:16 AM
You should be able to get a better deal using better quality components (and cheaper overall) from a local computer retailer. Have a look around and run the store past us before you buy the PC.

They will be able to provide the proper manufacturers warranties (as pctek described).

There is ONE disadvantage, which is that with a Dell PC you get next-business-day onsite service, wheras most smaller computer builders will require you to return the PC to them. Then again, there's less chance of it breaking in the first place.

Metla
16-11-2007, 10:33 AM
With very little leg work, You should be able to get better quality, more powerful components, cheaper.

And it will come assembled, No need to build it yourself.

jwil1
16-11-2007, 11:12 AM
With very little leg work, You should be able to get better quality, more powerful components, cheaper.

And it will come assembled, No need to build it yourself.

Where should I look to get a PC like this from? my friend said he wants it prebuilt, not in parts.

Note: BTW the PC is not meant primarily for gaming.

winmacguy
16-11-2007, 12:41 PM
Where should I look to get a PC like this from? my friend said he wants it prebuilt, not in parts.

What will the majority of the work load on the PC be?
Music production
Design
Gaming

beeswax34
16-11-2007, 01:50 PM

Try PBTech, Ascent or virtually any PC shop online which is reputable (you can ask here which ones are), call them up or go to their website, choose your parts and thats it.

PENTIUM
16-11-2007, 04:27 PM
I do not normally enter into this sort of discussion, but you did mention Quay.
They have premises, use good parts and have really good tekkies.
I am an independent and not given to send people somewhere else.
Dell used to use reasonably adequate componentry, even today their LCD screens appear to be quality, but I cannot say the same for the motherboards I have had to work on from their recent manufacture.

JUST INSANE
16-11-2007, 05:21 PM
I recommend www.qmb.co.nz for price and www.edencomputer.co.nz for quality work.

Cicero
16-11-2007, 06:05 PM

A trip to Wainui sounds good to me.